Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Captain

Default 2018 Captain

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...b1a6f9f422afb5

Can't access it so maybe someone can post the full article
    Psmitty

Inactive User

Nathan Peats likely to take over as Gold Coast Titans captain

BLUES hooker Nathan Peats has bolted into contention to captain the Titans as Jarryd Hayne told his teammates he will not walk out on the Gold Coast.

The Titans were put through a gruelling fitness testing session under new coach Garth Brennan on Thursday.

Peats was the standout performer alongside five-eighth Kane Elgey, setting the pace in testing despite being restricted in his return from a shoulder reconstruction.

The hard-nosed hooker was vocal throughout the session, urging his teammates to lift as Brennan ran his eye over a new-look Titans squad.

The Titans could have a new captain in 2018 with Brennan uncommitted to retaining last season’s skipper Ryan James, appointed by former coach Neil Henry.

Peats and Kevin Proctor, who was stripped of the co-captaincy he shared with James following a drugs scandal, are the main contenders with James to lead the Titans.

FUTURE: Hayne’s promise to Titans teammates

Peats feels the burn as the Titans are put through their paces. (AAP Image/David Clark)
    Peats, 27, made his State of Origin debut this year and is well-respected among the playing group for his no-nonsense approach.

James said he hoped to captain the club for a second season but admitted others also had strong credentials.

“It’d be great being a local junior but you have to earn it,” he said.

“You have to put the hard pre-season in and see if you can earn it. I take it as a challenge.

“We’ve got some great leaders like Peatsy, Kevvie, myself and there’s a couple of young ones like Ash Taylor who re-signed for a long time.

“There is leadership potential in all of them. It’s great to be in that bunch.

“Hopefully Peatsy can come back from that shoulder injury. He won all the fitness with one shoulder. He couldn’t even swing his other arm.”

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted Peats to be Captain soon after he joined us however someone pointed out to me the garbage he puts on Twitter. He’d need to get rid of his social media for me to be onboard.

James played totally crap last year after been given the captaincy. Not sure if that affected his performances. I would be positive towards Peats being captain.
    Psmitty

Inactive User

^^^ 100% agree with that. I just have that one misgiving re Twitter

Twitter doesn’t worry me but cool calm and collected interests me more than screaming at each other. James seemed to have issues but that could have been following Henry’s laconic style. Let’s see if Brennan ordains Hayne.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

^^^ Titanic have u seen some of the stuff he posts on Twitter?

Junior

Does Jarrod Wallace have leadership abilities?

I know Bodsie but it doesn’t faze me because he won’t get it. They’ll keep James until they can anoint Taylor.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Brennan sticks with James as Captain again. So much for our dream of Peats.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...6be7891c5d06f2
    Last edited by psmitty; 07-02-18 at 05:30 PM.
    Psmitty

First Grader

I think they wanted a local boy to lead the team. All the best to him hopefully he has a better year than last year

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    I think they wanted a local boy to lead the team. All the best to him hopefully he has a better year than last year
    Hopefully playing 2nd row rather than front row it will suit him better being the Captain.
    Maybe Peats could be the VC.

If Cokey The Clown is made Co-Captain or VC I’m going to blow a puffer valve and go off my nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    If Cokey The Clown is made Co-Captain or VC I’m going to blow a puffer valve and go off my nut.
    The second time you have called him this in a week. I would expect non Titans members to continually slag our players. It is old news so can we just get over it and call him by his real name?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Hopefully playing 2nd row rather than front row it will suit him better being the Captain.
    Maybe Peats could be the VC.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    The second time you have called him this in a week. I would expect non Titans members to continually slag our players. It is old news so can we just get over it and call him by his real name?
    Agreed Shamus, time to move on. I am no fan of the idiots taking drugs but he has paid the penalty now.
    Also don't forget Bods that you have often lamented the loss of Bird and he was a cokey too..

Inactive User

^^^^I love the name though so much and really he does have some making up to do. He needs to give a good year on and off the field before I can warm to him.

Sir Greg Bird on the other hand can do no wrong...one of my all time favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Agreed