Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 preseason

Haven't seen Olive on anyone's list either ... we have this group of mediocrity so let's trust in God and Garth Brennan to squeeze some life out of these lemons
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Max King reveals how new Gold Coast Titans NRL coach Garth Brennan has made his mark
    http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

NEW Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan has made training fun again.

That is the bold revelation of young forward Max King, who gave the Bulletin an insight into the new dawn at the Titans since the departure of Neil Henry.

King was quick to note his admiration for Henry, the veteran mentor who gave him an extended shot at the NRL in his rookie season this year.

But the 20-year-old’s assessment clearly points to Brennan delivering the less authoritarian-type style that Titans supremos were understood to be chasing to drive the club forward.

“I suppose from an authoritarian coach to a personal relations coach,” King said of the transition.

“Garth seems like an unreal bloke and it will be exciting to work with him.”

Elaborating, King said the early signs in pre-season had been taken very positively by the playing group.

“There has been a different sort of structure within training,” he said.

“He (Brennan) is definitely intertwined with the relationships with his players.

“Training is less of a chore. It feels like more game-specific stuff but also I suppose, if we are doing conditioning or what not, it is game-specific.

“It also might be games or whatever. It is more enjoyable.”

Henry was a respected figure but fell out of favour late last season for his communication style and approach of treating all players the same way. Brennan has got off on the right foot with many parties already.

King meanwhile is hunting to build on his breakthrough 2017 during which he played 17 NRL games.

The fourth-generation first grader is known to have struggled in the back-end of that taxing campaign but is now refreshed and ready to fire.

“There was probably a week or two there towards the end, probably like Round 23 or 24, where the body was breaking down a bit,” King said.

“The body was struggling … the off-season was great for it.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I don’t think Max was lying about training being more enjoyable. I looked at the photos of their training session today and i cant recall a gallery where they all looked to be having so much fun. Gotta be good for morale and bonding.

http://www.titans.com.au/news/2017/1..._training.html

Default Titans call in experienced hands for life after Jarryd Hayne

BRENT READ | The Australian | 12:00AM December 2, 2017

Newcastle legend and halves whisperer Matthew Johns jetted into the Gold Coast yesterday afternoon to take part in a training session with the Titans’ young playmakers Ashley Taylor, Kane Elgey and AJ Brimson.

Former Manly captain Jamie Lyon, now living in the northern NSW town of Ballina, has reached out to Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan and offered his services in whatever capacity is required.

Another former Sea Eagles skipper Brent Kite, coaching the Tweed Coast, has done the same. Jarryd Hayne may not want to be involved with the Titans, but as Brennan made eminently clear yesterday afternoon, plenty do.

Johns, one of the strongest advocates for the appointment of Brennan as Titans coach, is expected to take a consultancy role with the Titans as a halves troubleshooter, a role he has filled at a variety of clubs across the NRL in recent seasons.

When it comes to coaching playmakers, Johns’s only rival is arguably his brother Andrew. Brennan had no hesitation in reaching out when he took the reins. Taylor, Elgey and Brimson have as much promise as any trio of halves in the NRL but their games are far from the finished article. The way they react to Johns’s tutelage could determine the Titans’ season, which they now confront without their highest-profile and highest-paid player.

Hayne has left a gaping hole in the club’s salary cap but there were few signs of disappointment with his departure among the Titans players yesterday as they slogged it out on the training track at the club’s impressive base at Parkwood Golf Club.

The Coast has been a dreary place in recent days, grey clouds and rain playing their part, but blue skies symbolically appeared the morning after Hayne made his exit, signifying the end of a period of bitter underachievement for both Hayne and the club.

His final act as a Titans player was to sign a release document at a breakfast meeting with chief executive Graham Annesley, the pair catching up at a coffee shop near the club’s training base on Thursday morning as they looked to avoid the media.

Ironically, as Annesley walked into the coffee shop, he wandered past a local reporter. Hayne arrived soon after and by the time their 30-minute meeting was over, news of his departure had already become public fodder.

The sense on the Coast is one of relief. The Hayne experiment was an abject failure, a miscalculation that played a part in the demise of former coach Neil Henry and in all likelihood set the club back 12 months. Hayne is now Parramatta’s problem, although Eels coach Brad Arthur clearly believes he can extract the best from a player who has transformational qualities when he is at his best. Life goes on for Brennan, who has already taken steps to strengthen a squad which many expect will vie for the wooden spoon rather than the top eight next season.

Leilani Latu, the club’s latest recruit, was among those taking part in training yesterday morning, his strip dripping in sweat as he played catch-up with his new teammates.

Latu’s presence provided a reminder of what the Coast can offer in comparison to many of their rivals. It is understood his partner had doubts about moving from their home in Sydney’s western suburbs to south-east Queensland, where they would be away from their extended family.

Those doubts quickly dissipated as Brennan took them on a tour of the club’s facilities and then the region. The beaches may be Brennan’s best friend as he looks to add quality and depth to a club which is still in the hands of the NRL, albeit with a sale likely to go through by the end of next week.

It’s a tour Brennan expects to take plenty of times in coming weeks and months. The Titans have money to spend in the wake of Hayne’s departure and the coach is at the ready should an opportunity present itself.

They will be active and names have already been bandied about in relation to the Titans, the most significant being Michael Morgan, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Boyd Cordner.

Tuivasa-Sheck looks a natural fit given his leadership qualities and star power. Their outside backs look thin, although Lyon has the potential to play a role in improving their stocks in that area.

Having retired at the end of 2016, he contacted Brennan recently and offered to help out. The Titans centres, in particular Konrad Hurrell, have had defensive issues. Lyon was arguably the best defensive centre of his generation.

He will scout for the club in the Ballina region and watch Titans games, with Brennan giving him the green light to weigh in with any advice he feels may help.

Ultimately, the Titans are likely to go as far as their halves take them, hence the importance of Johns’s fleeting visit. Elgey and Taylor look likely to wear the six and seven jerseys and Brimson, named in the under-20s team of the year last season, is in contention to fill the No 1 jersey.

If they can stand up, the Titans may surprise a few people. If not, the Gold Coast will likely head to market armed with a war chest which gives them the ability to sign the brightest and best from across the NRL.

Brennan has a plan. With or without Hayne, he won’t veer from it.

Good Stuff

I know many will have a negative view but I am happy to hear that Matt Johns is involved with our half’s. Regardless of what people think about him his record coaching half’s is impressive. He was responsible for Cronk making the conversion to the half’s and last year was again brought into Melbourne to help Munster and Cronk with their combination.
    To also hear that there are quality ex players that have never been a part of the club willing to help must be a huge tick for Brennan.

Inactive User

I see Jamie Lyon is going to scout in the Ballina region...
    Newsflash to the all the genius’ that work at the club-MDREW MDREW MDREW.
    That’ll do me.

All sounds good. Looks like we are spending some money in the right places for once.

Junior

I love the idea of Matty Johns being involved. As others have mentioned he has an extremely good record of taking players to the next level , Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary are two others he worked with who went on to win a premiership that year.
    That said we have a wealth of ex players on the Coast who I am sure would be happy to be involved. Princey, Mat Rogers. Guys that were the heart and soul of the club who might be able to help bring the pride back to the jersey.

Inactive User

^^^ I could easily do a rant here but I’ll just keep it pithy:
    Giving MJohns this role ahead of a club and community legend like MRogers does not sit well with me.
    We saw an article late last year where Mat expressed he wanted to be involved with the club.

Junior

I once had a wise McDonalds manager who told me you put your aces in their places. I don't think you get a better halves coach than MJohns. Like I said his record speaks for itself.
    And, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the club bring Mat Rogers in a couple of years back in a similar role. (I also remember Andrew Johns coming up for a session once)
    There is no doubt that Mat brings immeasurable value to the club, I just don't think in this role. But as someone to drive the culture, attitude and professionalism and just all round good guy I think he would be great.
    I was more referring to the Jamie Lyon and Brent Kite comments. But I guess Garth has come in and in a way is trying to build the club he wants, and as such is bringing in the people he wants to work with. So for now I guess I will just have to back his judgement.

Titans players to go on four-night NRL preseason camp in Toowoomba
    http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

GOLD Coast will wrap up their pre-Christmas NRL training block by heading out west in a two-pronged team trip.

The Titans will make a four-night visit to Toowoomba in the week before Christmas.

“It’s a combination of a training camp plus doing a fair bit of promotional work in the community up there to promote our competition game that we are holding there in Round 3,” said Titans boss Graham Annesley.

“It will be a good hit out for the players and it will also be a good experience for the local Toowoomba community particularly to generate interest in the game.”

Gold Coast will play St George Illawarra at Clive Berghofer Stadium on Sunday March 25.

The Titans commonly completed preseason fitness and camaraderie camps at Canungra under previous coach Neil Henry.

Annesley did not rule out further getaways in the coming months under new mentor Garth Brennan’s watch.

“He may well have other plans but this is the first one that is on the agenda,” Annesley said.

The imminent Toowoomba trip follows feeder club Burleigh last week heading to Byron Bay for a camp to set the team’s values for the year ahead.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

'Secret' Toowoomba training camp to test limits of Titans
    https://www.thechronicle.com.au/

RUGBY LEAGUE: The Gold Coast Titans will be put through the wringer in Toowoomba next week.

Under the guidance of ex-special forces soldier Nick Barker, Titans players will be tested physically and mentally as part of the week-long training camp.

Elements of the training are so secretive even the 35 players have not been notified, however, The Chronicle can reveal there will be sessions open to the community.

"The Gold Coast Titans are committed to making themselves available to the community," Barker said.

"They want to make sure Toowoomba and the region are involved and benefit from the occasion.

"The first public event will be a training session at Clive Berghofer Stadium on Monday. There will also be an opportunity to meet the players later in the day."

The Titans boot camp announcement caps a massive week for rugby league in the region.

League fans will get a double dose of NRL action with the Brisbane Broncos and Titans confirming a February 17 trial game in Toowoomba next year.

With the Western Mustangs heavily involved in the negotiation process chairman Paul Reedy said he couldn't wait for next year.

"It's going to be a great year for rugby league in Toowoomba and the southwest region," he said.

"With the Broncos-Titans trial in February and the Titans-Dragons in March we will be blessed for rugby league."

The trial game will also help showcase the region's league talent.

Prior to the main game league fans will be treated to a City v Country (women), TRL Allstars v Indigenous Allstars and Western Mustangs v Ipswich (under-18 and U20) matches.

I like that we are spending time and embracing the TBA area. Over time we could make some real inroads to the Bronco hold on that region.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

How the World Cup affected your team

Gold Coast Titans (1)

Konrad Hurrell (Tonga)

The least-affected club after the departures of Fiji World Cup pair Jarryd Hayne to Parramatta and Ben Nakubuwai to Salford. Tonga centre Konrad Hurrell is the only Titans player returning late to pre-season training from his World Cup duties.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/12/12/...ted-your-team/

The heading in the article is click bait but I have highlighted a paragraph I found interesting. I like that idea..

Ryan James exclusive column: How Titans will build from within following Jarryd Hayne’s exit
    TITANS
    December 18, 2017 11:08am
    by RYAN JAMES
    Source: FOX SPORTS
    JARRYD Hayne coming to the Titans in 2016 was always going to attract plenty of attention but I’ll always be thankful for what he brought to the club in his relatively short time with us.
    After what he had achieved not only in the NRL but to play for the 49ers in the NFL, signing someone of his calibre was a major coup for the club. We attracted new sponsors, played in front of big crowds and sold plenty of memberships and ‘Haynesy’ showed plenty of times that he is still one of the premier talents in rugby league.

As soon as he started with us we got a lot of good numbers through the doors and bums on seats and Jarryd Hayne being Jarryd Hayne that’s what he does. He sells tickets.

Not many people know he played through many an injury while he was at the Titans. Towards the end of last season he was battling with something noone knew he had, yet he still managed to play through it.

Outsiders looking in probably thought that he wasn’t giving 100 per cent but he was just doing the best he could at the time.

His time as a Titan has now passed and I’m thankful for what he’s done for the club. He’s made the move down south to be closer to his family and you can’t fault him for that.

We were in a bit of a holding pattern for a month or so when we didn’t really know whether he was staying or going but now that has been resolved we can move forward with a very handy replacement in Michael Gordon and a squad full of Gold Coast locals.

Since coming on board as coach Garth Brennan has made it very clear that he is a big believer in promoting local juniors and you’ve only got to look at the players we have added to see that in reality.

Michael Gordon’s back, Will Matthews is back, Brendan Elliot’s back, Jai Arrow, Keegan Hipgrave and Jai Whitbread have all come back to the Coast after stints with the Broncos.

As someone who has grown up and lived on the Gold Coast all my life I’m a big believer that playing for and representing the local area which you have come from means so much more to you than simply being signed by another club.

You’re not going to be able to have an entire squad made up of Gold Coast locals but if you’ve got that sense of belonging and feeling and wanting to do the area proud when you step onto the field you do push yourself that little bit harder.

I was counting all the kids in the squad the other day that have grown up here and it’s starting to build up to be something pretty impressive.

Obviously when a coach is sacked as happened with us this year attention turns to the playing group and how they are getting on but I didn’t feel at any stage that we had splintered in any way.

We might not have all hung out together outside of footy but when we were at training I thought we were a tight-knit group who continued to work hard for each other.

Not everyone has the same interests outside of footy so you can’t expect everyone to go have fun together and be best friends away from footy but everyone at the moment seems to be loving everyone else’s company.

That starts to build around training and even little things like having music at training helps to get everyone together.

Mobile phones have now been banned when we’re all out together at cafes. That means we are always talking to each other and learning something new about our teammates who we’re going to have to trust when things get tough in games.

There are a lot of new faces at the club again this year and if you want to play for your mates it’s best if you learn as much as you can about them, really buy into that team-first mentality that Garth is driving.

When you bring in guys like Mitch Rein, Jack Stockwell and Leilani Latu combined with the group of good young kids that are moving up into first grade, competition for spots is going to be fierce and that will ensure we put out a very strong 17 when Round 1 comes around.

There’s probably still some room in our salary cap to buy a couple of extra players but it feels as though we’re building to something pretty special with the squad we’ve got.

I can’t wait to see what we can achieve in 2018.

- - - Updated - - -

Foxsports article on roster changes at each club this year. I have only pasted the Titans section.

GOLD COAST TITANS

Gains: Jai Arrow (Broncos), Brendan Elliot (Knights), Kiah Cooper (Roosters), Mitch Rein (Panthers), Jack Stockwell (Knights), Leilani Latu (Panthers), Michael Gordon (Roosters), Will Matthews (Dragons)

Losses: Chris McQueen (Tigers), Nathaniel Peteru (Leeds), Leivaha Pulu (Warriors), Tyrone Roberts (Wolves), Daniel Vidot (retired), Pat Vaivai (Leigh), Agnatius Paasi (Warriors), William Zillman (not re-signed), Eddy Pettybourne (not re-signed), Ben Nakubuwai (Salford), Brenton Lawrence (retired), Jarryd Hayne (Eels), Dan Sarginson (Wigan)

Key buy: Michael Gordon. It’s not ideal having a 34-year-old as your best buy but he’ll do a job for the club in the short term as Garth Brennan starts to assemble the roster he needs to be competitive. While his legs have run plenty of kilometres over the years, his experience alone will lift the class of the team. His goal kicking certainly adds a ton of value too.

The pressure: Kane Elgey. At 23, the playmaker was touted as the next big thing but injury and form have prevented him from reaching such heights. The 2018 season looms as the most important of Elgey’s young career. Earning around $600,000 next season, Elgey will need to hit the ground running and find a way to complement Ash Taylor.

Analysis: Depth and quality is of concern. This roster is quite young. They’ve lost a ton of experience and big game experience at that. This is one of those sides that will take time to click. While the likes of Ryan James will ensure the team is competitive they’re missing a lot of polish, especially in the backs. Depth around the spine is also a concern. While there are options to cover fullback, they’re thin in the halves with 20s graduate AJ Brimson the next in line if there’s an issue in the halves.

Roster rating: C-