Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 preseason

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Just thinking about our pack for next year. Who is front runners to get get lock and second row? I assume Proctor. James, Peats and Wallace have the other positions. Also what would be our best forward rotation on the bench?

Hipgrave looked good this year as did Boyle so surely they are a chance somewhere.
    Arrow will be in their 13

Youngest pack in the comp but quite like it except for the Pom.

James - Peats - Wallace
    Greenwood - Proctor
    Arrow

Rotation:

Lawrence
    Hipgrave
    Boyle
    King
    Whitbread
    Rein
    Last edited by Titanic; 10-11-17 at 12:29 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Posted this elsewhere in Supporters Culture but thought I'd stick it in here for those of you who don't go round the site much:

Hi all ... I have just spoken to the supplier of the following jerseys which may be of interest to some of you as Christmas presents.

You can have delivered to you in time for Christmas 2017 for A$50 jerseys as follows:

1. Qld and NSW 2017 State of Origin
    2. Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, PNG, Samoa, Lebanon, Ireland and UK plus the awesome "all nations" harlequins jersey with all countries' logos on it.
    3. Jonathon Thurston 2005-2017 State of Origin celebration jersey.

PM me if you're interested. Sizes S to XXXL

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Posted this elsewhere in Supporters Culture but thought I'd stick it in here for those of you who don't go round the site much:

Hi all ... I have just spoken to the supplier of the following jerseys which may be of interest to some of you as Christmas presents.

You can have delivered to you in time for Christmas 2017 for A$50 jerseys as follows:

1. Qld and NSW 2017 State of Origin
    2. Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, PNG, Samoa, Lebanon, Ireland and UK plus the awesome "all nations" harlequins jersey with all countries' logos on it.
    3. Jonathon Thurston 2005-2017 State of Origin celebration jersey.

PM me if you're interested. Sizes S to XXXL
    I tried to send PM but doesnt look like it went through.

Would be interested in 2 Lebanon Jerseys, and maybe one PNG. are they all Mens sizes?

Titan Copley in Brennan's black book

By Joel Gould*, Queensland Reporter**, ***NRL.com

Thu 16th November, 07:56PM
    A A

COPLEY
    New Titans coach Garth Brennan once kept a little black book which had centre Daley Copley’s name inscribed within its pages.

When Brennan told the 26-year-old the significance of that entry it was a great source of relief and encouragement, after he was released early from his previous deals with the Broncos and Roosters.

Brennan, a former under 20s coach with the Knights and Panthers, took up the story when NRL.com had a chat to him about Copley.

“I coached against Dale in the under 20s for a long time when he was at Brisbane and I used to keep a little black book,” Brennan said.

“Any player I rated in an opposition team that we came up against I would write their name down, just in case I became a head coach one day so I could look in the little black book at the good kids who had come through the 20s.

“Dale was in that black book, so it is funny how things work out. I told him that story when I had a one-on-one with him.”

Copley has had three clubs in the last three years after moving from the Broncos to the Roosters and then the Titans at the start of 2017.

His three-year deal at the Roosters was cut short to one, so Brennan’s little black book story removed doubts about his own future at the Titans.

“It was very comforting when Garth told me that,” Copley said.

“When a new coach takes over they have their own idea about players and opinions about what type of player they want.

“There can be a bit of turnover when a new coach takes over so it was very comforting to know that he had a good opinion of me.

“I knew that I wouldn’t be moving on and it put my mind at ease that he wanted me here. Now I’ve got to deliver.

“Garth has been really good. He has brought fresh ideas and all the boys are benefitting from his enthusiasm.

“He has said he is keen to play a free flowing style of footy. That will develop over the pre-season and it will be pretty exciting if we can get to that.”

Copley, who is off contract at the end of next season, is keen to form a potent attacking centre combination with Konrad Hurrell in 2018.

Injuries and losses have forced the Titans to change their lineup in 2017 and it was hard for the side to get any continuity.

If Copley and Hurrell’s name can be on the team sheet each week next year then it could well be a sign of a Titans resurgence.

“That would be really good, but I would like to see the same 1 to 17 on the team sheet every time,” Copley said.

“We struggled to trot out the same team week-to-week last season and me and Konnie picked up little injuries along the way.

“Hopefully the whole squad can have an injury free year because it is very disruptive when that (chop and change) happens.

“It is no coincidence that the teams that win the comp don’t generally use a whole heap of players throughout the year.”

Copley, who is studying law at university, spent seven years in the Broncos system and slotted in well with the team structures after having regular pre-seasons with the club.

He joined the Roosters in January of 2016 and linked with the Titans in March of 2017, so missed pre-season with his teammates.

That is why he is relishing the opportunity this summer will bring.

“It has been three different clubs and three different cities that I have had to pack up and move to, which has been pretty disruptive.

“Not doing pre-season with the clubs you play with is difficult when you come in late and try and build combinations.

“I am really looking forward to this coming year and I think me, and the players inside and outside me, will benefit from this time in the summer and getting to build some combinations and how we want to play.”

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    I tried to send PM but doesnt look like it went through.
    I
    Would be interested in 2 Lebanon Jerseys, and maybe one PNG. are they all Mens sizes?
    it got through and I replied. All men’s sizes but will check for others.

Junior

Is Rory Lillis a development player?

Quote Originally Posted by ALX25 View Post
    Is Rory Lillis a development player?
    I saw he was involved with some of the other younger boys over the weekend with some promo stuff, but I don't think he's contracted to the club..can't imagine so anyway. I believe even Api is only doing training for a portion of the pre season as opposed to having a full development contract

So the 5 development players? I can think of Brimson, Whitbread, Matautia, Fotuaika (think I got spelling right) and Api

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    So the 5 development players? I can think of Brimson, Whitbread, Matautia, Fotuaika (think I got spelling right) and Api
    Whitbread top 30. AJ & Matautia Development. Unsure on Mo who might be only part-time with this pre season and then development contract 2019 season. Not 100%

EDIT: forgot to mention that Api is only training with NRL until christmas. Not contracted in any capacity and will be with Burleigh in the new year.

Kiah Cooper is also on a development contract.

First Grader

Sorry if this has already been asked but, can development contacted players play in the nrl?

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Sorry if this has already been asked but, can development contacted players play in the nrl?
    My understanding is that the 5 contracted development players cannot play first grade due to some rule which I think is ridiculous I may have interpreted it wrong though

What does everyone believe the starting squad will be at the start of the season?

I am hoping it will be:

1. Brendan Elliot
    2. Anthony Don
    3. Konrad Hurrell
    4. Dale Copley
    5. Philip Sami
    6. Kane Elgey/Jarryd Hayne**
    7. Ashley Taylor
    8. Jarrod Wallace
    9. Nathan Peats
    10. Brenton Lawrence
    11. Kevin Proctor
    12. Ryan James
    13. Jai Arrow

14. Mitch Rein
    15. Morgan Boyle
    16. Max King
    17. Keegan Hipgrave

I have Ryan James moving to backrow, which also allows Brenton Lawrence to start as prop. This would force Greenwood to bench, but as I think he is crap I have put Boyle, King and Hipgrave all above him in the pecking order. I think Greenwood would be best as backup for injuries.

I think Brendan Elliot will pip the fullback position from TRD and Sarginson, leaving them not having a place in the squad unless through injuries.

Unsure of the 5/8 situation, Jamal Forgarty might give Elgey a run for his money.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=indoallstars;376385]What does everyone believe the starting squad will be at the start of the season?

I am hoping it will be:

1. Brendan Elliot
    2. Anthony Don
    3. Konrad Hurrell
    4. Dale Copley
    5. Philip Sami
    6. Kane Elgey/Jarryd Hayne**
    7. Ashley Taylor
    8. Jarrod Wallace
    9. Nathan Peats
    10. Brenton Lawrence
    11. Kevin Proctor
    12. Ryan James
    13. Jai Arrow

14. Mitch Rein
    15. Morgan Boyle
    16. Max King
    17. Keegan Hipgrave

I have Ryan James moving to backrow, which also allows Brenton Lawrence to start as prop. This would force Greenwood to bench, but as I think he is crap I have put Boyle, King and Hipgrave all above him in the pecking order. I think Greenwood would be best as backup for injuries.

I think Brendan Elliot will pip the fullback position from TRD and Sarginson, leaving them not having a place in the squad unless through injuries.

Unsure of the 5/8 situation, Jamal Forgarty might give Elgey a run for his money.

I really like Karl Lawton, but i think Mitch Rein has it over him in the pecking order.

My thoughts are similar but I would like to see AJ Brimson given a crack at fullback. To me, he has what you are looking for in a modern day fullback. Tough, quick, elusive, good endurance and can definitely ball-play from his time in the halves. Besides inexperience his only knock might be lack of height but slater, Tedesco, RTS and Coote are hardly giants.

Brimson
    Don
    Hurrell
    Copley
    Elliot
    Elgey
    Taylor
    Arrow
    Hipgrave
    Proctor
    James
    Peats
    Wallace

Rein/Lawton
    Lawrence
    Boyle
    Greenwood/King

YOUNG GUN’S TITANS HOPES
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

HE was the shining light for the Gold Coast in a horror end to the 2017 NRL season but Phillip Sami had no intentions of kicking back and savouring his rise in stocks.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Presented with a twomonth off-season, Sami instead tackled the break headon, working harder than ever before on his fitness.

It hasn’t gone unnoticed in Titans ranks.

“Phil Sami … it seems like he has done a lot of work,” teammate John Olive said.

“He is one of my main competitors for a spot. It just helps me to try to bring myself up to his level right now and it will be a good battle between all of us backs.”

Sami played four NRL games last season and earnt glowing praise from then interim coach Terry Matterson, who predicted he would feature far more often in 2018.

Now with that taste under his belt, Sami is desperate to nail down a first grade spot for Round 1 and beyond.

“I pretty much just trained my butt off to come back here fitter and I have done that and I feel good,” said the 20-yearold.

“I have done a lot of running on the field. Off-feet cardio as well, rowing, bike and all that kind of stuff.

“I made a goal for myself to work hard so I could come back and impress the new coaching staff and hopefully I have done that.

“I still need to work on a few things and I want to be doing that and that is what the offseason is for.”

Sami spent some time at fullback last season in the Titans under-20 team but was overlooked by Garth Brennan when the new coach was asked who could fill the No.1 jersey if Jarryd Hayne departs.

Brendan Elliot, Tyronne Roberts-Davis and Dan Sarginson were instead put forward.

Sami said he was willing to play fullback but preferred lining up in the centres.

The Titans yesterday confirmed former Parramatta player and under-20 coach Luke Burt would join Brennan’s staff as an assistant coach. Burt will work alongside Craig Hodges, who joined the club from the Broncos last season.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER