Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 preseason

First Grader

He's the worst rated defensive center in the game according to nrl.com, there's only so much that can be blamed on his inside men. As far as I'm concerned elgey needs a dominant controlling defensive player either side of him. Copley is none of those. Hopefully Brennan can teach him a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by the flying wedge View Post
    Ah well, not worried bout the loss, it's a trial, fringe squad - courier mail can eat a bag of Richards ... Great to be talking bout footy again though - always get a kick outta reading the contributions of the colourful characters on here! Really looking forward to seeing how 2018 and beyond unfolds under our new coaching staff and management structures. Bring it on!!
    Welcome Wedgie and your bag of Richards ... Gold
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    He's the worst rated defensive center in the game according to nrl.com, there's only so much that can be blamed on his inside men. As far as I'm concerned elgey needs a dominant controlling defensive player either side of him. Copley is none of those. Hopefully Brennan can teach him a few things.
    Interesting article, and am not trying to defend our left edge which was obviously a weakness, just don't think you can pin it on 1 or 2 players. Maybe if it was one on one misses that led directly to tries but that was not what the stat was based on.

The further article states:-

While the numbers also don't look favourable for Gold Coast's Dale Copley, on viewing those 25 try causes it's fair to say there were a significant number of those in which he was far from the only culprit.

Also credit to Copley for commenting :-

"It is no surprise that we were a poor defensive team; part of that is the edge decisions that my edge and both edges of our team were making," Copley told NRL.com.

"Some was about stuff happening inside of us where we were caught short, and some was our own fault.

"But we were down the bottom as a defensive side for a reason. There is no one player [at fault]. It is a team effort. But with a new coach, a new defensive system, new players in key positions and having a full pre-season with the guys we are going to play with I am sure it can be turned around.

"Defence has been a focus in the pre-season because left, right, middle and the guys coming off the bench … we weren't good enough last year. I am sure you could find many stats to back that up."

I am not saying Copley is th 2nd coming of Matt Cooper, I just think based on technique and decision making, he is far from a liability.

Let's see what the season brings.
    Last edited by Ausphin; 18-02-18 at 04:46 PM.

Welcome Wedgie - tremendous first post, i will be borrowing the Richard's call if you don't mind sharing.

Inactive User

^^^ I agree with DB wholeheartedly Wedgie

Even though Brennan didn’t have to many alternatives, I think things have worked a treat and set the bar relatively low for his maiden first grade season. I trust it is a stroke of tactical genius on his part and the team benefits from zero expectation. May have already been the case but this performance “lines up the ducks”.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Just watched the highlights and if I counted correctly, Brenko Lee was single handedly responsible for 4 of the Broncos tries....
    This is why he was dropped by the Dogs whilst leading the comp in tries scored.

HUSH, HUSH

Which half and his coach are at loggerheads over team selections?

This player wants to swap a member of their spine with a rookie as they’ve struck up quite the combination at training but the coach won’t budge.

Could this be ash and aj??

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    HUSH, HUSH

This player wants to swap a member of their spine with a rookie as they’ve struck up quite the combination at training but the coach won’t budge.

I thought that as well when I read it, I hope it isn't true we don't need any fractures in the playing group like last year. It could be any club.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    HUSH, HUSH

It’s unlikely to be us. There are a number of clubs where there is conjecture about the make up of its spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    ^^^ Ha Ha Ha....yeah it was good enough.
    Good to hear, lol.

Brimson one to watch for Titans

Author Neil Cadigan
    Sun 18 Feb 2018, 12:41 AM

He is one of many young unknowns at the Gold Coast Titans who rookie coach Garth Brennan may have to call on in the 2018 Telstra Premiership.

And Alexander "AJ" Brimson took little time to show his genuine promise in his first experience of NRL-level football on Saturday night.

The 20-year-old halfback played the full 80 minutes of the trial against a much more experienced Brisbane Broncos side in Toowoomba, the last 20 in the fullback position which has become a second-string bonus asset to Brennan’s young squad.

He showed his renowned sharp speed and ability to find space when he scored a try in the third quarter and handled a barrage of big edge-running forwards that were directed his way on a night that few of the Titans’ fringe players had an opportunity to shine.

Brimson could develop into a Tyrone Roberts-style utility man, a handy back-up or threat to halves Ash Taylor and Kane Elgey, as well as fullback Michael Gordon. Titans insiders feel the youngster, signed until the end of 2020, is a prospect with NRL written all over him.

And while Elgey is the player who may have the most pressure on him if Brimson progresses, AJ paid tribute to the mentoring the former NRL under 20s player of the year has provided.

“Kane and Ash have been tremendous in taking me under their wing,” he said.

“At the end of every season I do kicking and catching with them and they have really helped me; especially Kane being a left foot kicker and left side player like me.

“They’re trying to help me get better and I listen to everything they tell me.”

Brimson, Queensland’s Mal Meninga Cup player of the year in 2016 as a halfback, had never played fullback until thrown there for the final few rounds of Holden Cup that season, and for the last five games of 2017. But it could be where his future lies.

“I thought he did a really good job in his first taste of playing against the big boys,” said Brennan.

“He’s more of a runner; he’s quick and I thought when he went to one he really threatened every time he ran the football.”

One thing Brimson didn’t appear, was overawed in his first match in senior company.

“They were big bodies; especially Matt Lodge when he was coming at me,” he smiled.

“I felt confident. Brenno wanted me to own my role and I concentrated on my defence and was happy with that.

“I wanted to stay out there as long as I could to get used to the pace, so it was a valuable experience.”

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/...ch-for-titans/
    Psmitty

Thanks JB I could not find that for the life of me.
    cheers

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018...s-v-titans-14/

Full replay on the donkeys website