Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 preseason

I'll take it. Was hoping they'd be more competitive but it was a Quasi Q-Cup side taking on a very solid Broncos line-up. No serious injuries which is all that matters IMO.

Inactive User

Man of the Match goes to psmitty for saving the night by giving us the radio link

We hit the field with the shadow tier guys given a run to see how they go.

It’s a trial, end of story. I couldn’t care less if it was 100 nil, the score means nothing to me. Garth will be gauging how they went individually.

If you’re going to Walk around kicking stones waiting for the sky to fall in based on that you really should have a good think about it.

I’d prefer to wait to competition proper to see where we are.

Either way I’m making a conscious decision to support our team rather than be critical. I’ve had enough of that over the past few years.

It’s been so quiet from the media with no negative press fir us for the first time in whatever and to see it coming from within is ordinary.....in my opinion.

Inactive User

^^^ not sure if you were purely looking at yourself then or having a veiled swipe at me- if you are having a swipe at me and think I was critical tonight then you have seen nothing yet. I gave us a “satisfactory” overall rating and for me was quite measured.

Lol ... ex country footballers, voluntarily calling games are part of the dna of country sport ... you gotta love it

I’ll add a bit more:

1. Sponsored scrums and coach killers ... awesome.
    2. BBQ sauce on Dagwood dogs please Mr Mayor ... yum.
    3. Streakers ... mint.
    4. Cookie did you play the ball properly? ... no he didn’t the cheeky pr!ck.
    5. Never bagged the Titans, talked up the club and promoted the Saints game ... full marks.
    Last edited by Titanic; 17-02-18 at 10:18 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

It wasn’t veiled Bodsie. Your comments are the only critical ones here mate.

If they are doing the same in round 5 with the full strength team by all means let fly if it makes you feel better After a no nothing trial, cut them some slack.

The level or whatever of criticism only holds weight if it’s measured fairly against what’s causing it.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Lol ... ex country footballers, voluntarily calling games are part of the dna of country sport ... you gotta love it
    Yeah it sort of reminded me a bit too of Frank Hyde where he’d um and ahhh and be unsure who had the ball and have to check the Big League. But yeah I know what you are talking about with the Country Analogy too.
    I’m very very thankful of the coverage.
    We clearly gave the likes of Lee, Copley, LG, Cartwright, Latu, Brimson and King very limited game time which helps immensely to put tonight into perspective.
    Without it I would just see the score line and go “oh dear”.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post
    It wasn’t veiled Bodsie. Your comments are the only critical ones here mate.

If they are doing the same in round 5 with the full strength team by all means let fly if it makes you feel better After a no nothing trial, cut them some slack.

The level or whatever of criticism only holds weight if it’s measured fairly against what’s causing it.
    rj-I reckon if you read pages 10/11 of this thread again you might think differently. Titanic I reckon was just being pre-emptive.
    Anyway-I am me. I play a role, DB plays a role, you play a role, NZ Titan etc we aren’t robots.
    I am most definitely a critical commenter for sure but tonight I don’t see it that way.

Sorry, for those who don’t know, that commentator was none other than Terry Cook who played for our very own GCTH Seagulls, SE Crushers and the Maroons but hails from Pittsworth.
    Last edited by Titanic; 17-02-18 at 10:33 PM.

First Grader

I am pretty comfortable with our recruitment except for our left edge where we got exposed tonite with Lee against Roberts. This was one of our major problems last year and we need a good defensive left centre. I am not sure how Elgey went tonite but this left side defence which was a huge problem last year remains unresolved.

Our left edge has been a problem forever. Back to the Tagataese and Michaels days at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Our left edge has been a problem forever. Back to the Tagataese and Michaels days at least.
    wow i DIDNT know it was Terry Cook. That era of struggling seagulls player really deserves the GOld Coast ol' boys tag as they put up with so much **** and had 10% of the luxuries today's gold coast players have. Always have a spot spot for those fellas. If Peter Gill was his co commentator i might have had to subscribe and start following them around like a groupie.

yeah left side since forever Titanic, and speaking of forever i saw Brett Delaney - the original ball hog - playing for Leeds the other night against the storm. Holy hell that was a blast from the past. How is he still going around

I don't know how anyone can make a judgement, negative or positive if you didn't watch the game.

The reality is with the exception of Elgey, Latu, Cartwright (who only payed 20 minutes) and Copley (who was on the bench), none of these guys will be in conention for Round 1, except maybe Sami on the wing.

I fully expect Copley and Hurrell to be our centre pairing and barring injury don't see that changing. Copley is fine in defence and Brennan rates him highly based on past media.

This trial was obviously Brennan giving some of the depth and fringe guys a crack knowing they won't feature much next week.

The only negative for me was that it was against the Broncos and it just gives their entitled fans and media knobs such as Badel a chance to bag us again.

After all it is only a trial. I doubt many Cowboys fans are writing off their chances even though they got touched up by Wooden spoon favourites, the Tigers.

A bit of perspective needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausphin View Post
    I don't know how anyone can make a judgement, negative or positive if you didn't watch the game.

The reality is with the exception of Elgey, Latu, Cartwright (who only payed 20 minutes) and Copley (who was on the bench), none of these guys will be in conention for Round 1, except maybe Sami on the wing.

I fully expect Copley and Hurrell to be our centre pairing and barring injury don't see that changing. Copley is fine in defence and Brennan rates him highly based on past media.

This trial was obviously Brennan giving some of the depth and fringe guys a crack knowing they won't feature much next week.

The only negative for me was that it was against the Broncos and it just gives their entitled fans and media knobs such as Badel a chance to bag us again.

After all it is only a trial. I doubt many Cowboys fans are writing off their chances even though they got touched up by Wooden spoon favourites, the Tigers.

A bit of perspective needed.
    Spot on Ausphin. I was going to make the same comment about the Cows and Tigers game on here but you beat me to it.

I've never watched or attended trials for many years, as other than for players to get some match fitness and timing, I find them essentially worthless as a guide. There is more action on the sidelines with blokes coming on and off as there is on the field.

Coaches generally know now what their first round NRL team is going to be.

Inactive User

I think that’s a really good comment Ausphin accept for your last comment saying “a bit of perspective needed”. There has been some minor lamenting over our historical left edge defence issues and I described our night overall as “satisfactory”.
    Nobody is ripping in.

Looking through last night’s results, there is nothing to take out of them except the Storm’s roll-on. Paasi lasted 6 mins