Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: 2018 preseason

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Just like in my response to JB I will reiterate AGAIN that I disagree with the premise that Rein is way superior to Kayne.
    Subsequently given Lawton adds utility value and the added bonuses of being a young junior I prefer Kayne.

Let’s see what the Coach reckons.
    You didn't need to repeat it for my benefit Bodsie. My point was to take issue (sort of) with your general priority for locals over others which you have mentioned in many posts of late. I do agree with you that it is great to have locals come through and crack the NRL but not if there are better players around. Not having many locals in the team hasn't affected the Roosters or Manly over the years and most supporters wouldn't give a toss where blokes come from as long as they are winning. I also remember the push for the juniors at the Tigers - that's ended well.
    As for Lawnton over Rein, I don't have great wraps on either of them to be honest and if we had a stronger 17 then neither would make it.
    It's good to be arguing over footy again. Bring on round 1.

First Grader

Reins experience alone puts him in front. Not only that he ran a lot more from half than peats which added another dimension to our attack. That plus Cartwright's offloads plus James running rampage out wide not to mention Gordon was extremely vocal out the back (from what I could see). It's a long season and once this team starts to gel anythings possible. Providing minimal injuries of course. Plenty of reasons to be excited

A lot of positive comments in here about last night's game.

But we still lost. Where are the negatives?
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 25-02-18 at 01:48 AM.

Negatives for 101:
    1. We rarely bent the line.
    2. Offloads were non existent.
    3. We had nothing in attack structure close to the line.
    4. Warriors showed our backs are brittle.
    5. Penalties and dropped balls.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

6. We still can't win in the wrestle therefore quick play of the ball to a retreating defence that can't number up and shift fast enough.

That was a much hit out & plenty to like & look forward to, the standout was James back playing on the edge where he looked dangerous all night & reminded us he's got a big motor when he finds open ground in front of him, Latu,Hipgrave & Cartwright all looked good & young Whitbread will keep the bench forwards honest he's a player that always gives 100%

I think the lack of offloads & Ash's constant grubbering can be blamed on the conditions they played in , yes I'm making excuses but it's only a trial..

The argument about Lawton & Rein is more about Brennan's thoughts how he thinks Peats will go playing 80,Rein is far more experienced playing NRL but he's a 9 & nothing else, Lawton can play almost anywhere in the back line so it depends on the other 3 players sitting alongside them on the bench.

I think Gordon brings the class & attack factor we had lost at the back for tha past few years (since Presto), that's an exiting part of our game to look forward to

Bring on the Raiders
    #itaintweaktospeak

Forgot to mention... I liked both Elgey and Taylor’s contributions. Taylor was often isolated and had to kick, partially by stifling defence and partially by his outside men being too flat. I also liked seeing him getting off that right side. Elgey dug in in defence (like he did last year) with James providing some starch (unlike pussy-willow Greenwood last year). Elgey has a great read of the game, also got over supporting Taylor and with a stable environment should be fine.

Greenwood is such a plodder and Hipgrave should get that bench spot after suspension while I totally agree with Pete, Whitbread really surprised, however, except for Gordon who is a class gain, our other backs were pretty ordinary.

Can we blood Brimson on the wing?
    Last edited by Titanic; 25-02-18 at 10:01 AM.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    You didn't need to repeat it for my benefit Bodsie. My point was to take issue (sort of) with your general priority for locals over others which you have mentioned in many posts of late. I do agree with you that it is great to have locals come through and crack the NRL but not if there are better players around. Not having many locals in the team hasn't affected the Roosters or Manly over the years and most supporters wouldn't give a toss where blokes come from as long as they are winning. I also remember the push for the juniors at the Tigers - that's ended well.
    As for Lawnton over Rein, I don't have great wraps on either of them to be honest and if we had a stronger 17 then neither would make it.
    It's good to be arguing over footy again. Bring on round 1.
    Hey MT-it sure is a thing of beauty that we are actually talking about Team Selections in the Titans Forum.
    Too right-bring on R1.
    We have to find a way to win this game.

Inactive User

The CM ranked our centre pairing of Lee/Koni the worst in the NRL today purely because of defensive ineptitude. I remember months ago reading that Jamie Lyon now lives in Ballina and has offered to work with us.
    Does anyone know if that actually came to fruition??

Its a shame Joseph Manu looks likely to play in the roosters best 17 this year, he is a pretty dynamic young guy about to make a mark and wouldn't have cost the earth either.

don't discount little known Burleigh player Troy Leo either, i think he is a better prospect than maybe Sami and definitely TRD.
    Koni, Don, Gordon and MAYBE Copley are our lockdown backline members - and after that there is a bunch of players fighting for the last spot and i put Leo right in that group and it wouldn't take a lot, an injury here or there and he might get a shot.

Is he on Brennan’s radar though DB?

You’re right about the lock-ins and the fact that he talked-up Elliott probably means that he isn’t overly impressed with the other options. Is Brimson a wing option?
    Last edited by Titanic; 28-02-18 at 07:17 PM.

Ash Taylor believes Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan’s game plan can make him a better NRL player

Connor O’Brien, @obrien_GCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
    February 28, 2018 12:00am
    Subscriber only

ASH Taylor has accepted Garth Brennan’s challenge to “own” the Titans team and believes he can take advantage of his coach’s freestyling game plan to lift his level even higher.

The classy halfback in October signed a rich three-year contract extension on the back of a season in which he led the competition for try assists in a side that placed 15th.

Brennan though called on Taylor to “walk the walk” and reflect his skyrocketing salary after the team’s scratchy attacking performance in their final pre-season trial against the Warriors on Saturday.

The 22-year-old has already set about responding to that task.

“He has grabbed it with both hands,” Brennan said ahead of Gold Coast’s season launch at The Star last night.

“Me and Ash have known each other for a long time so I think we have got the relationship where I can be blunt and upfront with him at times.

“He knows he is only a young guy with a lot to learn. He knows he is far from the finished product.”

Further to that, Taylor insists the entertaining style of footy Brennan is encouraging can help him reach a whole new level in a promising sign for his aspirations to step into the Maroons halves jerseys vacated by Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk.

Such freedom was seen against the Warriors, where Taylor roved across the field rather than being restricted to the right side and five-eighth Kane Elgey to the left.

“It’s a different structure and just giving us some leeway to play some footy,” Taylor told the Bulletin.

“That’s what our Titans fans want, is for us to play footy and entertain and that’s what we’re going to do this year.

“Just like anything, if you have got a new coach and new structure it is going to take a while to settle in.

“But in saying that you have to win footy games – and early – to make sure that we are in that top eight at the end so we have just got to adapt to the new culture, new game plan and new structure and win games.

“That’s what it comes down to.”

Another factor that could play into Taylor’s hands is that sharpshooter fullback Michael Gordon will relieve him of the high-pressure goalkicking role.

“I’m getting more of an opportunity to worry about my game and getting the team around,” Taylor said.

The Titans will open their season against Canberra at Cbus Super Stadium on March 11.

Well he got the call up to play in that first trial, and i think he has been asked to train with the NRL squad this week and next,

So he is there about's, and it seems Brennan is nothing if not a supporter of youth and development.

I am not sure about brimson on wing, i know fullbacks can often do it to start out, but i feel he is more a half, then has some fullback ability, which makes it a bit more of a stretch. I don't know his 20s career as well as some others though so they can jump in and correct me.

he couldn't be worse than TRd or Sargison, so i guess that makes it a chance...but i think he should be our bench utility.

I don't care for Lawton at all really, so its Brimson or Rein in my opinion if Brennan doesn't want Peat's to go for 80 minutes.

Brimson serves a higher purpose as it develops him also, and Rein might be a better pure replacement when Peats is injured or on origin duty.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    Its a shame Joseph Manu looks likely to play in the roosters best 17 this year, he is a pretty dynamic young guy about to make a mark and wouldn't have cost the earth either.

don't discount little known Burleigh player Troy Leo either, i think he is a better prospect than maybe Sami and definitely TRD.
    Koni, Don, Gordon and MAYBE Copley are our lockdown backline members - and after that there is a bunch of players fighting for the last spot and i put Leo right in that group and it wouldn't take a lot, an injury here or there and he might get a shot.
    Manu may be a better player after a year running off Cronks shoulder and having him direct him around the park too.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeGC View Post
    Have seen that kid play (Leo), i think only been playing league for a couple of years (so super raw), but he would be one of if not the fastest league players Ive ever seen (including the Jet and Ado-Carr).

Also interested to see NRl clubs are supposed to have 29 signed by March 1st. Titans are at 28, will we see an announcement tomorrow.
    Troy Leo is a freak...he made QLD for A grade in his first year of Rugby League in 2016 and then was lighting up Qcup last year. Crazy speed and returns the ball tough K-hunt style. Only 22 as well.

Very good pickup re cap requirements RGC...today could be interesting?