Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 preseason

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I think that’s a really good comment Ausphin accept for your last comment saying “a bit of perspective needed”. There has been some minor lamenting over our historical left edge defence issues and I described our night overall as “satisfactory”.
    Nobody is ripping in.
    Bodie, it wasn't solely aimed at you, but you can on occasion have a bout of the chicken littles about you. This time it was more the media and other social media comments I read.

There was an article in the Courier Mail basically indicating Brennan's worst fears had come true after flogging, and then Brennan's comments stated we had a young side against an established team and he took some positives out of it. Perspective.

The interesting thing for me will be which of these fringe players get another run along with our top squad next week as a final chance to impress.

Inactive User

^^^ Ha Ha Ha “chicken littles” I love a good payout when it rings true.
    Yeah I just now read the CM Article with the “Brennan’s worst fears come true” and guess who was the journo who wrote it.....
    Drum Roll Folks......
    Wait for it....

You guessed it....The Great Badel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausphin View Post
    I don't know how anyone can make a judgement, negative or positive if you didn't watch the game.

The reality is with the exception of Elgey, Latu, Cartwright (who only payed 20 minutes) and Copley (who was on the bench), none of these guys will be in conention for Round 1, except maybe Sami on the wing.

I fully expect Copley and Hurrell to be our centre pairing and barring injury don't see that changing. Copley is fine in defence and Brennan rates him highly based on past media.

This trial was obviously Brennan giving some of the depth and fringe guys a crack knowing they won't feature much next week.

The only negative for me was that it was against the Broncos and it just gives their entitled fans and media knobs such as Badel a chance to bag us again.

After all it is only a trial. I doubt many Cowboys fans are writing off their chances even though they got touched up by Wooden spoon favourites, the Tigers.

A bit of perspective needed.
    Spot on.
    The cowboys went down , the roosters went down. I’ll guarantee you they aren’t concerned at all.

As far as the Broncos supporters crowing, it will make it all that sweeter when we knock them off when it counts. I actually thought it was odd that Jimmy the jerk got a run....it is a trial after all. Maybe that was just the insurance to get a couple across the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    ^^^ Ha Ha Ha “chicken littles” I love a good payout when it rings true.
    Yeah I just now read the CM Article with the “Brennan’s worst fears come true” and guess who was the journo who wrote it.....
    Drum Roll Folks......
    Wait for it....

You guessed it....The Great Badel!!!
    Pretty sure that bloke steals all our oxygen.

The beat part from lastnights flogging is the Donkeys supporters talking themselves up all Faceache ...Premiership Certs , it's almost as bad as the Warriors fans who were excited about beating a Storm filled with Nevilles..

We had 12 players out of the 23 that have zero chance of playing any NRL or even QCup this season , some are not even contracted to us , this was nothing more than a training run with a larger crowd & a scoreboard that meant nothing... The shining light from the match was AJ'a performance from what I've read & that's what trials are good for letting Rookies show what they've got.

Yes I'm back Bodsie I know you have missed me

Welcome to a new era of Brennan
    #itaintweaktospeak

Brennan raised a couple of good points and one I particularly picked up on listening to the broadcast, a few penalty’s at crucial periods of play were from the Burleigh squad getting pinged for incorrect play the balls and interesting to note is that players like law and forgerty from the bears played big minutes and these guys didn’t even have a training run with the titans and that’s one thing the commentators picked up on was no team cohesion.

Inactive User

Was wondering what had happened to you TP actually late last night. We were outclassed but the fact that they kept at it and didn’t fold and let the floodgates happen was what gave me encouragement. Shows they had respect for Brennan and pride in the GC jersey.

So the trail didn't go too bad, and our 2018 campaign isn't nessesarly a smouldering pile of crap just yet?

Inactive User

^^^ Ha Ha Ha....yeah it was good enough.

First Grader

Anyone who thinks Copley can defend needs to go to spec savers. We definitely need a centre who can defend that left edge otherwise we will leak points there all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Anyone who thinks Copley can defend needs to go to spec savers. We definitely need a centre who can defend that left edge otherwise we will leak points there all season.
    I know he can, and my glasses script is current.

Edge defence is so much about the combination, and trusting those inside you. I think we will see that when James is lined up there rather than Greenwood.

If after a month or so of games I am wrong, and understand it needs time to develop, I will admit it, but I am a lot more worried about Hurrell and his decision making than Copley.

I’m with you ‘Phin ... Greenwood is a liability out there. Elgey also got crap last year when all I can remember is his much smaller and unassisted frame getting trampled by rampaging forwards while Greenwood snatched at air and Hayne tied his laces.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

About what I expected coming into this trial. I still vividly remember the catastrophe which was the warriors trial last year but this was pretty much a way of giving our new 1st grade recruits a bit of fitness and then really see who is QCup and who is fringe. Not the best result and as always there will be donkeys fans talking sh*t but it will make it all the more sweeter when we roll them this year. Only thing I was a bit disappointed in was Brenko lee. Had heard about his defensive woes but thought he might offer a bit more in attack than Copley if he could get it right. Obviously needs some more time in QCup but I have faith that Brennan will actually bring these players along. Bring on the next trial for a better look (and honestly I just want us to be injury free heading into round 1).

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I’m with you ‘Phin ... Greenwood is a liability out there. Elgey also got crap last year when all I can remember is his much smaller and unassisted frame getting trampled by rampaging forwards while Greenwood snatched at air and Hayne tied his laces.
    Agreed, but not sure Hayne was capable of tying his own laces.

Ah well, not worried bout the loss, it's a trial, fringe squad - courier mail can eat a bag of Richards ... Great to be talking bout footy again though - always get a kick outta reading the contributions of the colourful characters on here! Really looking forward to seeing how 2018 and beyond unfolds under our new coaching staff and management structures. Bring it on!!
    "11 years & counting.."

Just watched the highlights and if I counted correctly, Brenko Lee was single handedly responsible for 4 of the Broncos tries....