Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Sad to hear that Elgey is considering retirement at just 25 years of age. Wish things worked out better for him post ACL injury.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Sad to hear that Elgey is considering retirement at just 25 years of age. Wish things worked out better for him post ACL injury.
    Oh no u r kidding me

This doesnt surprised me, he's so dam casual and placid in one of the toughest sports. He could play on for 10 more yrs in Super league making decent money. Good on him
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Sea Eagles player Kane Elgey retires from NRL aged 25
    September 24, 2019 4:44pm
    John Dean

@johndean_
    Source: FOX SPORTS

Kane Elgey has announced his retirement from the NRL.
    Kane Elgey has announced his immediate retirement from the NRL at just 25 after admitting he had fallen out of love with the game.
    The Manly playmaker, who still had one year remaining on his Sea Eagles deal, took to Instagram on Tuesday where he explained that he didn’t “love it like I used to”.
    “After months of consideration I have decided to officially retire from the NRL from the NRL and move back home with my beautiful girl @georgieoram and start the next chapter of our lives,” Elgey wrote.

“It’s been a roller coaster ride and I’m stoked with what I’ve achieved in a short time!
    “I just know deep down I don’t love it like I used to and when you lose that it’s very hard to keep doing it at a high level.
    “Thanks to everyone that I have met on the ride and who has supported me.”
    Elgey joined the Sea Eagles ahead of the 2019 season on a two-year deal from Gold Coast where he made his first grade debut back in 2015.
    All up, the Tugun Seahawks junior played 57 NRL games across both clubs.
    Once touted as one of the best young halves in the game, Elgey was named Dally M under 20s player of the year in 2014 before he was crowned the Titans’ rookie of the year in 2015.
    Elgey was rewarded for his good form in his debut NRL season with a start in the 2015 Prime Minister’s XIII side that beat Papua New Guinea in their annual clash.
    The following season started in the worst possible way with Elgey suffering a ruptured ACL which saw him miss the entire season.
    Upon returning, Elgey never quite recaptured the form he displayed in his debut season and spent time in reserve grade over the past two seasons.

QLD Cup

Disappointing to hear that. I would have loved to see him kick on and reach his full potential but if if his heart isn't in it then good on him. Would be great to see him back carving up for Tweed again.

On another note, there was a good article about Max King running out to play for the Storm in the semi's this weekend. He was quoted saying that his confidence was very low not being able to make the 17 in the last place team. I'm still livid about how he was treated this year but it's nice to see him make the most of his opportunities.

Rep Player

The Max King saga was one of the worst things Brennan did and really highlighted to me that he had no idea what he was doing. King should've been a mainstay of our lineup for years to come but now he's playing for the best team in the comp and we have zero chance of getting him back.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    The Max King saga was one of the worst things Brennan did and really highlighted to me that he had no idea what he was doing. King should've been a mainstay of our lineup for years to come but now he's playing for the best team in the comp and we have zero chance of getting him back.
    Agreed, stuck behind Whitbread, Latu and even Stockwell. No wonder he jumped at the chance to leave the place.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Agreed, stuck behind Whitbread, Latu and even Stockwell. No wonder he jumped at the chance to leave the place.
    I still remember that game last year where we had a bunch of injuries and King ended up playing big minutes and busted his guts to make 50 tackles with very few missed if any. Kid is an honest toiler and has a good head on his shoulders too. It's no wonder Bellamy saw his potential and snapped him up. I'll be watching more Storm games in the coming years to see how he develops.

I'm going to echo Tony Webcky from NRL.Coms thoughts ---- Sad to see LG retire so early and that Taylor is struggling as well. Sad to see the pressure that these guys get under at a young age and some burn out..I will LG well.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    I'm going to echo Tony Webcky from NRL.Coms thoughts ---- Sad to see LG retire so early and that Taylor is struggling as well. Sad to see the pressure that these guys get under at a young age and some burn out..I will LG well.
    I agree with you BT and I hope LG returns to at least play QCup in a year or two. Being blunt, his career fell apart when teams worked out his defensive deficiencies and Hasler quickly picked that up at Manly. He seems a lovely bloke and I'm pleased that he made some decent money out of the game before he stopped.

As for Ash, I don't really think it is pressure in his case. From my point he took it easy as soon as the big bucks rolled in. He went to fat last year and this year he seemed to be in cruise mode. Also, perhaps he just doesn't have the ability to step up as we had all hoped when he started at NRL level. Bludger seems more an appropriate word in his case. I know I'm a hard marker but I might as well say what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Bludger seems more an appropriate word in his case. I know I'm a hard marker but I might as well say what I think.
    I can't remember the show I was watching but they were talking to Matt Johns about Ash Taylor and he said something to the effect of "you have to want to work hard".

Inactive User

Not that he was a former Titan but I was gobsmacked by how Brett Horsnell was when I saw him on Insight last night

Albert Kelly loses weight – and his Hull FC No 6 jersey – ahead of new Super League season
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/

HE has lost his No 6 jersey but also a significant amount of weight meaning Hull FC’s Albert Kelly has “never been more confident” in his career.

Given the mercurial playmaker hardly lacked belief in his talent before and was shortlisted for Man of Steel three years ago, that should serve as an ominous warning to the rest of Super League.

Hull start their campaign at Leeds Rhinos on Sunday and plenty of eyes will be centred on Australian Kelly to see just where he fits into Lee Radford’s plans.

Granted, Jake Connor has taken that squad number, indicating that the Black and Whites will utilise the England centre at stand-off in 2020.

Does that mean Kelly will be used from the bench, will he miss out altogether or will he play in the full-back role, as has been trialled in pre-season and at times, sporadically, during games last term?

Firstly, on the subject of Connor gaining the six jersey – the role the Great Britain tourist has coveted for so long – Kelly insisted: “Why wouldn’t he?

“He’s playing for England and is one of the rising stars.

“For me to play alongside him and help add to his game, I feel I’m helping him to get that spot.

“It’s definitely healthy for the squad and I’m just happy to be out there on the field.

“It’s just another game where I can go out and have fun.

“I’m blessed to have another season to be doing this job; it’s a limited career and I’m happy to play my role whatever it is.

“I played full-back in our friendly at Batley and the last time I did that was my debut in the NRL over a decade ago.

“You have to be very fit to be in that position but I’m happy with where I am as I played the full 80 there. I can play full-back, centre, loose forward or in the halves. Anywhere. I just want to play my role so we can all be successful this year.

“If you’re playing the best you have to pick the best. If one of us slips up, give him a week off and put the other one in.

“Lee has different options now. He could put me at one, six or seven or put Jake at centre or full-back. There’s so many options, I think we’ll be covered at all bases this year.”

Jamie Shaul, of course, is Hull’s normal full-back while – due to his kicking game – scrum-half Marc Sneyd is seen as the one least likely to miss out as Hull set off once more in their pursuit of a first league title since 1983.

Kelly endured a succession of injuries last term – concussion, dislocated shoulder, hamstring strain and popped rib cartilage – but says he is in excellent shape ahead of his fourth campaign since switching across the river from Hull KR.

“I’ve never been more confident than I am now,” insisted the 28-year-old, who is excited by new arrivals such as Manu Ma’u, Josh Jones and Mahe Fonua. “I’m healthy, keen and motivated to get out there and do my job this year.

“I’ve trained the house down. After that injury-hit season how I blew up, I think I was 101 kilos.

“I came back and I’m 94 now so I’ve lost a lot. I didn’t really change much; I just felt healthy and eager to get back to my best. The boys have really helped me as well giving me that extra push and extra competitiveness during training.”

“It’s been a journey so far and this round one can’t come any quicker. I’m looking forward to it.”

The ex-Cronulla Sharks and Gold Coast Titans star is out of contract at the end of the season and talk of a return to the NRL is never far away.

He said: “It could possibly be my last year here.

“I’m not sure yet and I’ve not really come to a decision or sat down with the club yet.

“I think I’m just going to go about my business, do my job - and hopefully it (a contract) comes knocking on the door after.

“With the new crop of signings coming in here, players at other teams will probably think they’d want to be in this squad, too.

“It’s a very strong squad - and Lee will have his hands full trying to pick the team.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

^^^^ he was so much fun to watch playing for us.