Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Ash Taylor announces NRL retirement at 27, saying he 'couldn't stand up to play with my children'
    https://www.abc.net.au/

Ash Taylor admits he knew it was time to close the curtains on his NRL career when he couldn't stand up to play with his children.

Key points:
    • New Zealand halfback Ash Taylor has announced his NRL retirement at 27 due to chronic hip injuries
    • Taylor won the 2016 rookie of the year award while playing for Gold Coast Titans
    • All told, Taylor played 116 matches for the Broncos, Titans and Warriors
    • Taylor announced his retirement on Tuesday having managed just one game for the Warriors in 2022, against his former club Gold Coast, and after experiencing pain like no other when just trying to play with his kids at a park.

The 27-year-old thanked his parents, family, three clubs and huge support group for their unwavering dedication, but his chronic hip-issues were just too much to keep going.

"I knew my time in the game was coming to a standstill after playing my recent match and going to the park the next day and couldn't stand up to play with my children," he told reporters.

"This all happened so quickly. But I can't thank the Warriors enough as a club for the way they have handled my situation."

A former Brisbane, Gold Coast and Warriors five-eighth or halfback, Taylor played 116 games in rugby league's top club competition, entering the NRL and winning the Dally M Rookie of the year in 2016.

He began with Brisbane's under 20's side in 2013, signing a three-year deal with the club before inking a deal with the Titans in 2016 in pursuit of first-grade opportunities.

Over a six-year period, Taylor made 114 appearances for Gold Coast scoring 18 tries and 327 points. He then signed a three-year, $3 million deal in 2017 making him one of the highest-paid players in the competition.

But at the end of 2020 he had hip surgery, and with his contract not renewed a year later the Warriors threw him a lifeline after a successful train and trial deal in October 2021.

But even before his debut he had to take anti-inflammatory and pain medication just to take the field.

"I was on a modified program over the pre-season but then once I sort of started getting closer towards the season, it sort of started affecting me more," he said.

"I was taking more anti-inflammatories to keep up with the elite level training and playing."

What the immediate future holds for Taylor remains unclear, with interests in teaching and guiding Indigenous children in his hometown of Toowoomba.

But for now, some stability and time away with his family comes first.

"It's time for me and my family to get settled back home in Toowoomba and me and my partner will both get prepared to be back in the workforce," he said.

"But any (Indigenous) programs that they have coming up I want to be a part of, I want to be a part of the community and I want to be a trusted source for the community to come to if they need to seek help with that anything."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101042574

A really good article about Ash Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by SCoast Titan View Post
    https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101042574

A really good article about Ash Taylor
    Gee, that's good writing. A great read.

Toulouse Olympique set to sign State of Origin hooker to aid Super League relegation battle
    https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/

Exclusive: The 31-year-old is close to becoming the latest addition to Sylvain Houles' Super League squad.

Nathan Peats came to Super League last year with Leigh Centurions before later playing for Huddersfield Giants.

Toulouse Olympique are set to further strengthen their squad with the addition of former State of Origin hooker Nathan Peats. Rugby League Live understands the 31-year-old is in advanced talks to sign a deal with the club that will see him link up with the squad until the end of the season.

The French club, who are currently two points adrift at the bottom of Super League, released Junior Vaivai from his contract last week, which freed up a quota spot. But they have moved quickly to fill it in the shape of Peats, who has been playing in France's Elite One competition for Albi Tigers.

The competition finished last weekend and now, Toulouse have swooped to land Peats, who played for Leigh Centurions and Huddersfield Giants in Super League last season. Peats earned praise from Ian Watson for his performances in claret and gold before leaving the club, who had already secured a deal for Danny Levi.

Peats is understood to have returned to Australia for a short visit to see family but is expected to return to France in the coming days in order to link up with his new club.

Despite interest from Salford Red Devils he eventually made the move to France and now looks set to continue his career there, albeit in Super League. Peats had previously played in the NRL for ten seasons, making 159 appearances in the competition for South Sydney Rabbitohs, Parramatta Eels and Gold Coast Titans.

He played for New South Wales in the 2017 State of Origin series. He is Toulouse's latest recruit, having recently signed Corey Norman and Daniel Alvaro.

Their recent win over Wakefield Trinity has left them just two points behind the West Yorkshire club approaching the midway stage of the season. Peats will be in contention to debut when they take on Super League champions St Helens on June 4th, looking for their second win over Kristian Woolf's side after shocking the world to defeat Saints to secure their first win in the top flight.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Tigers are offloading Peachey. Shocking.

How desperate are we........

Not that desperate
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Wow Wests Tigers just keep going from crisis to crisis and it's going to cost them dearly.

I do have a soft spot for them but I don't think I could be brave or foolhardy enough to support them. I'm friends with some very dedicated Tigers fans though.

Hull FC have signed Will Smith

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonTitan View Post
    Hull FC have signed Will Smith
    Obviously that major family personal issue got resolved quickly!

David Mead Announces Retirement
    https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2022...es-retirement/

Highly decorated Brisbane Broncos outside back David Mead has called time on his 14-year rugby league career at the top level effective immediately.

Mead played 171 NRL games for Broncos and Titans, scoring 75 tries since making his debut in 2009, as well as 58 Super League games for Catalans Dragons scoring 29 tries.

The popular finisher also played 15 Tests for Papua New Guinea and scored 10 tries, as well as captaining his beloved country of birth at the 2017 World Cup.

Mead said: “I’d like to say a big thank you to the Broncos, Titans, Catalans, NRL and Super league for giving me the opportunity to live out my dream since 2009.

“This game has given and taught me a lot. I will always be grateful for my time playing footy.

“Thank you to all my teammates, the coaching staff and the many people who have been involved with the game over the last 14 years you have all played an important and valuable part in my development as a player and as a person.

“Thank you to my family who have been with me since day one. A special mention to my wife - you have been a big reason why I was able to play as long as I did.

“I look forward to experiencing the next chapter of our life together.”

Broncos Coach Kevin Walters said: “Meady has been a great servant of rugby league both on and off the field and we have been lucky to have him here at the Broncos.

“His longevity in the game is testament to his professionalism and his attention to detail in his training and preparation for games, plus he is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet.

“We wish David and his family all the best in the future and they will always be welcome here at the club.”

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    David Mead Announces Retirement
    https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2022...es-retirement/

Highly decorated Brisbane Broncos outside back David Mead has called time on his 14-year rugby league career at the top level effective immediately.
    Sad that he was never given a decent run at fullback here. The love affair with Zillman cost this club plenty. Mead would have been a sensational fullback.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...044cd057784105

Thank God this guy decided to bail back to Sydney and gave up the rest of his contract. Cartwright would have to be the most pea-hearted player to ever play for the Titans. Also one of the dumbest.

That's saying something given some of the absolute rubbish players we've trotted out in the last 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...044cd057784105

Thank God this guy decided to bail back to Sydney and gave up the rest of his contract. Cartwright would have to be the most pea-hearted player to ever play for the Titans. Also one of the dumbest.

That's saying something given some of the absolute rubbish players we've trotted out in the last 12 years.
    Not saying he wasn't crap for us but this is a typical move by lawyers when going through a divorce unfortunately. Doesn't matter what evidence there is or isn't, her statement is all it takes. A system set up to protect those that need it abused by others as a bargaining chip for a divorce.