Page 9 of 165 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NZTITAN View Post
    Theres an article that says we'll chase him if Hayne leaves thats why I asked, apologies.

Its in 'sports confidential II' daily telegraph if anyones interested, paywall for me atm.
    Geez mate, don't apologise. You have every right to put his name out there, in fact I think his name was mentioned a few weeks back.

As you might have gathered though, I think if we are following our no d1ckhead policy, then he shouldn't be anywhere near the place. He has played pretty well for a while so I wonder what is up if the Raiders are letting him go.

And thinking about it further, if I had a choice between Hayne and BJ and no other, I'd take BJ. That's how highly I rate Hayne.

Leilua is the Hurrellcane without brains. When he’s hot he’s hot but when he’s not he’s abysmal. No thanks.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

It was also pointed out last time his name came up that they both play the right side.

Rep Player

Not a player signing but some interesting news from mole.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/11/10/...Social-9NewsGC

Titans to launch daring raid on Penrith and Parramatta staff

By The Mole
    an hour ago

New Titans coach Garth Brennan is set to launch a daring raid on both Penrith and Parramatta as he builds his staff for next season. Moley has heard that Brennan has targeted Eels NYC coach and former wing star Luke Burt as his assistant coach.

And Brennan is also chasing Penrith high-performance manager Matt Cameron and the club’s refereeing advisor, former Roosters fullback Luke Phillips. Cameron is one of the most respected co-ordinators in the game, having worked at both the Eels and Tigers before joining the Panthers.

Significantly, both Cameron and Burt are close to controversial fullback Jarryd Hayne, who is currently weighing up whether to remain at the Titans or move back to his home town of Sydney. Phillips was signed by Panthers boss Phil Gould and, as a former referee, has been giving the players and coaching staff valuable insights into the workings of the referees over the past two seasons.

Immortal

Apology all, in a previous post I noted that former Cronulla Shark Tony Matautia signed for 2018 but in fact he signed a two year deal. Poor form by me

Gold Coast Titans earmark Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua as Jarryd Hayne's replacement

Adrian Proszenk

The Gold Coast have earmarked Canberra centre Joey Leilua as the man to replace Jarryd Hayne if the cross-code star returns to Parramatta.

Hayne, in camp with the Fijian national squad, is considering whether to ask for a release from his $1.2 million Titans deal to switch back to the Eels. He will need to take a hefty pay cut to do so as the Eels are only prepared to offer him about half that amount for a one-year deal.

Canterbury announced that the NRL had officially deemed them salary-cap compliant for the 2018 season after offloading fullback Brad Abbey to the nation's capital. The Raiders, however, have some work to do before they get under the limit. They will need to move on at least one big name and have been shopping Leilua around to rival clubs. The Titans, regardless of whether they move Hayne on, have expressed interest, although it's likely they will only be able to afford him if the former San Francisco 49er departs.

Leilua has been on the cusp of State of State of Origin selection in recent seasons. The 25-year-old would have debuted for the Blues in place of an injured Josh Morris in game two of the 2016 series had Canberra coach Ricky Stuart not rejected a request to have him in camp as a shadow player. The former Knights and Roosters three-quarter earned Dally M centre-of-the-year honours that season and signed a two-year extension only four months ago. However, his form has since tailed off and the Green Machine are prepared to release him to help balance the books.

The Gold Coast maintain Hayne hasn't asked for a release, although his public silence on the matter – save for a Tweet a week ago – has further fuelled speculation he wants out. If he does return to the Eels it will be on their terms – they want to see that he is fully committed to the cause after being released from his contract to pursue his NFL dream. While the departure of Semi Radradra has left a huge void, the Eels have injured utility Clint Gutherson to return to a side that already has a capable fullback in Bevan French. If Hayne was to don the blue and gold again, Parramatta may consider a player swap that involves former Titan Josh Hoffman.

The Raiders confirmed their own swap, signing Abbey on a two-year deal in exchange for Clay Priest. Abbey made his NRL debut for Canterbury this year after switching from the Warriors, making four first-grade appearances and scoring one try.

"Brad was a standout at junior level and was one of the best young fullbacks to come out of the NYC competition," said Canberra's recruitment and high-performance director Peter Mulholland.

"At just 20 years of age he showed he can perform at NRL level this year with the Bulldogs and we know he'll work hard during the pre-season and will add strong depth to our squad."

While Abbey's contract is for two years, the Raiders have an option in their favour for an additional season in 2020.

Abbey's departure has allowed the Bulldogs to retain hooker Michael Lichaa while still remaining cap compliant following the signings of marquee men Aaron Woods and Kieran Foran.

"Although we are extremely sad to see Brad Abbey leave, we look forward to Clay joining us at the club," said Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib.

"After meeting with the NRL, we are pleased to announce that the club is salary-cap compliant for next season and we can now put all our focus into preparing well in the coming months under new head coach Dean Pay."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...10-gziwl0.html
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Gold Coast Titans earmark Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua as Jarryd Hayne's replacement

Adrian Proszenk

The Gold Coast have earmarked Canberra centre Joey Leilua as the man to replace Jarryd Hayne if the cross-code star returns to Parramatta.

Hayne, in camp with the Fijian national squad, is considering whether to ask for a release from his $1.2 million Titans deal to switch back to the Eels. He will need to take a hefty pay cut to do so as the Eels are only prepared to offer him about half that amount for a one-year deal.

Canterbury announced that the NRL had officially deemed them salary-cap compliant for the 2018 season after offloading fullback Brad Abbey to the nation's capital. The Raiders, however, have some work to do before they get under the limit. They will need to move on at least one big name and have been shopping Leilua around to rival clubs. The Titans, regardless of whether they move Hayne on, have expressed interest, although it's likely they will only be able to afford him if the former San Francisco 49er departs.

Leilua has been on the cusp of State of State of Origin selection in recent seasons. The 25-year-old would have debuted for the Blues in place of an injured Josh Morris in game two of the 2016 series had Canberra coach Ricky Stuart not rejected a request to have him in camp as a shadow player. The former Knights and Roosters three-quarter earned Dally M centre-of-the-year honours that season and signed a two-year extension only four months ago. However, his form has since tailed off and the Green Machine are prepared to release him to help balance the books.

The Gold Coast maintain Hayne hasn't asked for a release, although his public silence on the matter – save for a Tweet a week ago – has further fuelled speculation he wants out. If he does return to the Eels it will be on their terms – they want to see that he is fully committed to the cause after being released from his contract to pursue his NFL dream. While the departure of Semi Radradra has left a huge void, the Eels have injured utility Clint Gutherson to return to a side that already has a capable fullback in Bevan French. If Hayne was to don the blue and gold again, Parramatta may consider a player swap that involves former Titan Josh Hoffman.

The Raiders confirmed their own swap, signing Abbey on a two-year deal in exchange for Clay Priest. Abbey made his NRL debut for Canterbury this year after switching from the Warriors, making four first-grade appearances and scoring one try.

"Brad was a standout at junior level and was one of the best young fullbacks to come out of the NYC competition," said Canberra's recruitment and high-performance director Peter Mulholland.

"At just 20 years of age he showed he can perform at NRL level this year with the Bulldogs and we know he'll work hard during the pre-season and will add strong depth to our squad."

While Abbey's contract is for two years, the Raiders have an option in their favour for an additional season in 2020.

Abbey's departure has allowed the Bulldogs to retain hooker Michael Lichaa while still remaining cap compliant following the signings of marquee men Aaron Woods and Kieran Foran.

"Although we are extremely sad to see Brad Abbey leave, we look forward to Clay joining us at the club," said Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib.

"After meeting with the NRL, we are pleased to announce that the club is salary-cap compliant for next season and we can now put all our focus into preparing well in the coming months under new head coach Dean Pay."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...10-gziwl0.html
    I have mixed feelings about bj leilua, at his best he can rip into opponents, he has that mongrel we have been missing, i can almost guarantee that he will try knock anyones head off protecting his team...essentially the titans need exactly a player like this, we have not had an enforcer since bird.

But then i think of bjs brain snaps, poor defensive reads, sometimes getting too hot headed and their are rumours he is beefing with teamates.

We have gone with no ********s policy at the titans, but for all of bjs shortcoming boy oh boy do i want a mongrel player for the team. Looking at the off contract list currently there is not many options out there, its also solves our left centre problem. Now i think about it......i want him

"No Thanks" to Leilua, his whole attitude onfield just grates me, and why would we want to do a swap and get Hoffman back???
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Id actually be happy with Leilua, yes he has some brainsnaps but christ id love to have someone other than Hurrell that actually threatens the line in our back five.

Only issue is he plays rightside so it doesnt solve our left centre debarcle.

If Brennan can teach how our centres to defend and then in turn our second rowers know how to defend with our centres and then our half's know what the hell they are supposed to do defensively he could be a good buy.

Immortal

If people want a tough hard player in the side, wait until Keegan Hipgrave gets a few games under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTITAN View Post
    Id actually be happy with Leilua, yes he has some brainsnaps but christ id love to have someone other than Hurrell that actually threatens the line in our back five.

Only issue is he plays rightside so it doesnt solve our left centre debarcle.

I’d take BJ if it could mean his mate Rapana comes back the following year to take maybe Dons spot.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    If people want a tough hard player in the side, wait until Keegan Hipgrave gets a few games under his belt.
    Greg bird mark II

Inactive User

^^^ there is only one Greg Bird
    He was/is a complete footballer, skills, toughness, versatility and mongrel.
    Hipgrave will need to forge his own identity.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Cant wait to see hipgrave get some more game time, he really impressed me in the last game.

Mdrew where do you see hipgrave playing? He seems to be a lock, but i think they will play Jai Arrow there knowing our club. Do you think hipgrave could do well in 2nd row as a starter, or more coming off the bench?

I would prefer anyone over greenwood starting.