Page 41 of 165 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 91 141 ... LastLast

Intriguing signing. GCBulli article suggests that he will be used as a ball playing lock. How many locks do we have on the roster now? Jai Arrow is much better defensively, but Bryce obviously must be front runner for starting lock considering Brennan's play style. I still think we're at least a good bench prop short. Happy to have him though. Shaping up to be the best squad we've had in years.

Big signing and another credit to Garth and the team. Gives us an element of X factor that we are currently lacking.

With the addition of Cartwright, we now have the NYC competition Player of the Year from 2013 (Bryce Cartwright), 2014 (Kane Elgey) and 2015 (Ash Taylor).

Next question is where do we play him? Left edge? Lock? Right edge and move Proctor to tighten up the defence on the left?

Over the next month or so I'd expect us to bring in another outside back and perhaps a front rower, with 2 spots remaining in the top 30.

Awesome signing, I believe of anyone can keep this young man's mind on the job it's Garth. Defence is iffy but so is Peachey's tbh.

Edit: ^^ Definitely not lock, his defence is the weakest part of his game.

edit again: Just read it's a 4 year deal? I dunno man that seems like overkill to me...
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 03-02-18 at 10:40 PM.

Good signing but our backs are looking very vulnerable. Congratulations to the Gold Coast Panthers.
    This is what I see as our best pack:

8. Jarrod Wallace
    9. Nathan Peats
    10. Ryan James
    11. Bryce Cartwright
    12. Kevin Proctor
    13. Jai Arrow

14. Leilani Latu
    15. Mitch Rein
    16. Morgan Boyle
    17. Keegan Hipgrave
    Last edited by psmitty; 04-02-18 at 07:03 AM.
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Good signing but our backs are looking very vulnerable.
    This is what I see as our best pack:

8. Jarrod Wallace
    9. Nathan Peats
    10. Ryan James
    11. Bryce Cartwright
    12. Kevin Proctor
    13. Jai Arrow

14. Leilani Latu
    15. Mitch Rein
    16. Morgan Boyle
    17. Keegan Hipgrave
    Yep, this is the line up I would probably like to see most with the current squad... Although I think Hipgrave might unfortunately find himself behind some of Garth's pets (Stockwell, Simpkins, Matthews) in the pecking order. Shame that Cartwright will likely push James back into the front row. I was really looking forward to Dark tightening up that left side defensively. Kane needs a good defender on his side, and the idea of Cartwright, Elgey, Brenko, and whoever plays wing on that side makes me nervous... Also if Cartwright is suspect defensively, he will get exposed on the edge with more frequency and ease, than if he defends in the middle. Ideally we sign another good bench prop and we see this;

8. J Wallace
    9. N Peats
    10. L Latu
    11. K Proctor
    12. R James
    13. J Arrow

14. M Rein
    15. B Cartwright
    16. A good prop
    17. M Boyle

Any unhappy Panthers props still in Penrith?

All will no doubt be revealed soon enough. Too many ‘ifs’ at the moment.

I’m placing my faith in Garth.

Just can’t believe the difference in this preseason without any off field BS and heaps of positive news, compared to past years.
    It’s such a breath of fresh air and such a bloody welcome relief.

With no Wallace for the first two games I'd say James into the middle and Mathews to the edge? I would assume Carty off the bench.

When Wallace is back James shifts to the edge and Stockwell to the bench. Carty still playing off the bench still. Mathews possibly dropped.

The other alternate is if LG doesn't perform then Carty to 5/8?

I like this line-up on paper psmitty. IMO Hipgrave needs a spot on the bench to add that mongrel and aggressive style play and Arrow needs to start at 13 as he’s prepared to do the dirty work for 80 minutes. Defensively very efficient and the kind of player who’ll make 50 tackles a game and only miss 1 or 2. Our attack is looking great on paper only defensive concerns. If Peacheys still on the radar is there a complication of too many attacking weapons? Need to plug the holes in middle and the edges we leaked last year.

I really hope somebody can cut and paste this comment in 6-9 months and make me look like a fool.

I don’t like this signing at all. I’m absolutely no Cartwright fan because he’s not tough. I was really looking forward to watching a hard working, no nonsense pack this year with the likes of James, Wallace, Peats, Arrow and Proctor being committed in defence and winning at the advantage line.

We get none of that in Cartwright. And based on Brennan’s comments this summer we can expect him to defend in the middle with James on an edge. Add this to Hurrell, Brenko Lee, Elgey and Copley (if he’s even in there - I’m not sure where he fits) we have an incredibly flimsy looking defensive line. Sure, we have points in us but it’s hard to see defenders of that caliber keeping other teams under a winning score.

Time will tell but 4 years seems excessive. The kid better have a good mentor here to keep his head straight. I hope there is something written into the contract that can send him away if/when he screws up off field.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I really hope somebody can cut and paste this comment in 6-9 months and make me look like a fool.

I don’t like this signing at all. I’m absolutely no Cartwright fan because he’s not tough. I was really looking forward to watching a hard working, no nonsense pack this year with the likes of James, Wallace, Peats, Arrow and Proctor being committed in defence and winning at the advantage line.

We get none of that in Cartwright. And based on Brennan’s comments this summer we can expect him to defend in the middle with James on an edge. Add this to Hurrell, Brenko Lee, Elgey and Copley (if he’s even in there - I’m not sure where he fits) we have an incredibly flimsy looking defensive line. Sure, we have points in us but it’s hard to see defenders of that caliber keeping other teams under a winning score.
    You could well be right Karnage...I’m not doing cartwheels either. This is a risky signing.

Gee Mr Bods I thought you were Brennans number 1 fan,
    Keep the faith old mate Garth seems to have a **** load of confidence in Bryce…. Which will do me.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Gee Mr Bods I thought you were Brennans number 1 fan,
    Keep the faith old mate Garth seems to have a **** load of confidence in Bryce…. Which will do me.
    He’s definitely the Coach that’s most likely to get the best out of him I’ll grant you that but he can’t hold his hand 24/7.

Can one of the moderators create a poll on what does the league think Bryce Cartwright position should be, noting that we will have him for 4yrs so that should be factored in too - backrow, lock, 5/8, utility off the bench.

Don't know his younger past if he has played any other positions. He isn't on the cheapest of money but will be worth every cent if we can get him to 2016 form.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    Can one of the moderators create a poll on what does the league think Bryce Cartwright position should be, noting that we will have him for 4yrs so that should be factored in too - backrow, lock, 5/8, utility off the bench.

Don't know his younger past if he has played any other positions. He isn't on the cheapest of money but will be worth every cent if we can get him to 2016 form.
    I'm with you indo and I'm a bit surprised with some of the negativity on here. We are crying out for a ball playing classy forward and this bloke has it in spades. Sure he had a problem with an ex but we've all been there haven't we. Well I have although social media wasn't around in those days plus I wasn't in the media. Sure he'll need to be watched to make sure he is doing the right things but it's a risk I'm happy with. If nothing else it pushes plodders like Matthews and Simpkins one spot further away from the top 17.

As for his best position I think it's the backrow but once LG confirms he cannot defend to save himself I think he might end up 5/8.