Page 15 of 165 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast

NRL Transfer Centre 2017-18: Titans land big man Leilani Latu to kickstart signing spree

PENRITH prop Leilani Latu is headed to the glitter strip.

Foxsports.com.au can conform the big unit has been granted a release to accept a lucrative three-year-deal with the Gold Coast.

It’s understood Latu will arrive in Queensland on Wednesday night before joining his new teammates for training on Thursday in what is a huge boots for Garth Brennan’s side.

Since taking the coaching post from Neil Henry in late October, Brennan has been working overtime on the Titans’ roster for next season.

Signing the 24-year-old until the end of 2020 will also help Penrith close their deal with Maloney.

Leilani Latu of the Panthers is tackled.
    Leilani Latu of the Panthers is tackled.
    After a $200,000 hiccup due to a rejected third-party deal, the Panthers now have the money to sign off on the Test star’s contract.

It was a move the Panthers never intended on making but one the Titans are thrilled with.

Latu, who played under Brennan in the Panthers’ NSW Cup side, is a crucial piece to the roster puzzle but by no means the final piece.

With cap space still to play with, the expected departure of Jarryd Hayne will gift the Titans a mini war chest of cash to hit the open market with.

It’s understood Brennan is working on luring several other players to the club and has been surveying the Super League for new troops.

It is unlikely he’ll be signing any more Panthers with Latu joining Mitch Rein who has already signed on for 2018 with a player option for an additional season.

The move not only bolsters the Titans squad but solidifies Brennan’s plan to shift Ryan James to the edge next season.

With Latu adding size to a pack already featuring experienced big men in Queensland Origin prop Jarrod Wallace and new addition Brenton Lawrence, the Titans have a great blend of youth and experience.

The departure of Agnatius Paasi to the Warriors on compassionate grounds and James’ shift to the back row, leaves Morgan Boyle, Max King, Jai Arrow and Keegan Hipgrave to battle for the remaining positions in the 17.

The arrival of Latu is a huge boost for the new coach.

Titans coach Garth Brennan is seen during training.
    Titans coach Garth Brennan is seen during training.
    One player who won’t be joining the Titans’ roster in 2018 is Tonga monster Ben Murdoch-Masila.

The Salford forward is keen on a return to the NRL having previously made 58 appearances in the competition across his time with Penrith and the Wests Tigers.

A product of Keebra Park high, the 26-year-old spoke with Titans management but they have decided not to pursue him.

https://twitter.com/foxnrl/status/935628974293577728
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Latu is a good signing but BMM would be a great fit too being Keebra Park and all. No worries, positive stuff but sorry to lose Nakubuwai to Pommie League.
    Last edited by Titanic; 29-11-17 at 09:43 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Immortal

Brenton Lawrence has retired

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Brenton Lawrence has retired
    WHAT?!

Gold Coast Titans prop Brenton Lawrence announces sudden NRL retirement
    http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

GOLD Coast recruit Brenton Lawrence has dropped a bombshell on the Titans, announcing his sudden retirement from the NRL.

Lawrence in August agreed to re-join the Titans from Manly on a two-year deal but will now instead watch from the sidelines.

The 32-year-old trained yesterday but decided he can no longer handle the rigours of the NRL.

“It’s with mixed emotions I make this decision,” Lawrence said.

“I would love to feel like a 20-year-old and have many more seasons ahead, the reality is I’m not and I believe this is the best decision for the team, and for myself.

“I’m proud of what I’ve achieved in rugby league. I have experienced some of the best years of my life both at the Gold Coast Titans and the Manly Sea Eagles.

“I’ve been so fortunate through rugby league to create incredible memories and friendships that I hold very dear and I would like to thank everyone who has ever supported my career. It is something I have never taken for granted.”

Coach Garth Brennan described Lawrence’s decision as “selfless”.

“Of course we would have loved Brenton to play for the club but he has made a selfless decision and I commend him for that,” Brennan said.

“He knows his body better than anyone else so he has made a personal decision that will keep him in good health down the track.

“Brenton is a player who has made an impact in the short time he has been back, and I, as well as all of the playing group wish him well for the future.”

Annesley added Lawrence may still be an asset in another area around the club.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Shame, Lawrence could of taught Hayne a few things regarding humility and being a team player and doing what is best for those around him..

Solid career Brenton, Good luck.

Inactive User

Annesley saying he might find a role for Lawrence on the club staff. How about giving roles in the club to the likes of Friend/Mat Rogers/Presto first.
    In general I’m disappointed though was looking forward to seeing Brenton playing for us again.
    I hope we can continue to build the depth of the club with more forwards and outside backs.

Hopefully this changes our chances of landing BMM along with Latu. Just the impact we've been missing the last few seasons. Would happily take Gordon as a 12 month stop gap for FB and look at making a play for a big name the following year

I imagine we have lots of room in the cap for props, but maybe not in the top 30 squad.

Is it possible that Brentons departure and Latu's arrival are linked?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers66 View Post
    Shame, Lawrence could of taught Hayne a few things regarding humility and being a team player and doing what is best for those around him..

Solid career Brenton, Good luck.
    Difference between a QLDer and NSWelshman hey Bodsy?

Inactive User

^^^ believe it or not but BJ is South Australian

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Difference between a QLDer and NSWelshman hey Bodsy?
    No, the difference between Manly and Parramatta blokes. You get one, Lawrence, who decided he wouldn't go through the motions and rip the club off and the other Parra bloke, Hayne, who will screw all around him to make as much as he can without morals or effort.
    Now if I can only get you guys to forget about DCE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    No, the difference between Manly and Parramatta blokes. You get one, Lawrence, who decided he wouldn't go through the motions and rip the club off and the other Parra bloke, Hayne, who will screw all around him to make as much as he can without morals or effort.
    Now if I can only get you guys to forget about DCE!!
    I will never forget what DCE had done. Never forgive or forget in my book. Hayne will just join him in that same hole.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Yep, that would be the ar$e hole.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

>The Gold Coast Titans are pleased to confirm the signing of Leilani Latu, for three years, through until the end of 2020.

>>“I’m really looking forward to getting up to the Gold Coast,” Latu said. “I’ve crossed paths with a few of the guys before so it will be good to play with them week in, week out.

>>“Of course it’ll be good to hook-up with Garth again. I enjoyed being coached by him before and he always challenges me which is something I’m looking forward to again.

>>“I had a good look at the roster before making my final decision and I’m excited by what I’ve seen. There are a lot of young boys with bright futures so hopefully we can do well.”