Page 138 of 165 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2463

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Basically every Titan that leaves plays better at the next club, so Im stoked for him.
    Myles?? hahah we got you there mate. poor Manly are still paying him to holiday around Europe. #Thanks Bozo

First Grader

Brenko extends for 1 more year

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Brenko extends for 1 more year
    TFH Gold Coast Titans outside back Brenko Lee has agreed to terms with the club, for one year, through until the end of 2019.

Lee joined the club in December, from the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and after suffering a knee injury in the trials, he was then able to make his debut for the club in Round 10 against the Storm.

Since his club debut, the 22-year-old has played nine matches for the Titans, adding to his 33 previous NRL games at both the Raiders and Bulldogs.

Coach Garth Brennan is pleased that the Logan Brothers junior is staying at the club.

“Brenko had a rough start to the year with a knee injury but once given the opportunity he has been a consistent performer,” Brennan said.

“He’s a family man who enjoys being surrounded by loved ones and it’s great he can do that whilst playing here at the Titans.”

“I expect a big pre-season from Brenko to be ready for 2019. He’s only young and he has a bright future.”

Source: Titans
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD Cup

I like the signing for one year. I'm probably not his biggest fan but hopefully he can drop a few kg's in the off season and pick up a yard or two of pace. Could turn him into a decent centre with that fend.

Does anyone subscribe to the Gold Coast Bulletin and mind filling us in on the article about Don?

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I like the signing for one year. I'm probably not his biggest fan but hopefully he can drop a few kg's in the off season and pick up a yard or two of pace. Could turn him into a decent centre with that fend.

Does anyone subscribe to the Gold Coast Bulletin and mind filling us in on the article about Don?
    Size wise I think he's fine...we'd lose the effectiveness of his exit sets if he got on that cut. In fact offensively overall I think he's great. It's his defence that needs work and no pace or weight change is gonna fix that - he needs to learn to make (the right) decisions when reading play and know how his movement influences his winger and backrower. A decent prospect though and like you say the one year is perfect when he's still a developing young player that needs to prove he is a real NRL player.

Don article essentially says he has 2 Sydney clubs who have offered similar to us. The bulletin took a stab at some figures and stuff but that's always grain of salt stuff and usually pulled out of a hat

Gold Coast Titans in danger of losing cult figure as Sydney NRL clubs circle
    Emma Greenwood, @EmmaGreenwood12, Gold Coast Bulletin
    July 23, 2018 4:00am
    Subscriber only
    THE Titans are in danger of losing cult hero Anthony Don, with three Sydney clubs chasing the off-contract Gold Coast player of the year.

Don, who scored a double in the Titans’ 30-24 loss in Newcastle on Saturday to rack up his 10th try of the season, has become a fan favourite on the Gold Coast after making his NRL debut for the club at 25 following a miraculous rise from the Grafton Ghosts.

The cut-price winger has been the Titans’ best value player over the past few years as the club splashed out on marquee flops and has worked diligently to become one of the league’s most reliable finishers.

The Titans have made an offer for Don to extend his stay on the Coast but it’s understood the Bulldogs, Sharks and Rabbitohs have also expressed interest, leaving him with a tough decision.

It’s understood all clubs have offered a two-year deal, which will take Don through until the end of the 2020 season when he is about to turn 33.

But the money on the table from the Titans is understood to be less than the $180,000 he is currently on, leaving him open to poaching by rivals willing to stump up more than the Gold Coast.

While he does not have the pace of some of the league’s best flankers, Don has been one of the Titans’ most reliable players in recent years, culminating in a breakout 2017 season that led to a NSW Country representative spot and Gold Coast player of the year honours.

He has also become a cult figure during that time.

“Is Don. Is Good,” is the favourite refrain of commentators, while fans have set up an Anthony Don Appreciation Page on Facebook which has almost 1400 followers.

The Titans are comfortable with their offer given Don’s age and injury history — he has had four shoulder surgeries — but losing the Grafton product would be a major blow, especially with Gold Coast products Kane Elgey and Karl Lawton already leaving the club this season.

A decision could be made as early as this week, with Don looking to shore up his future.

Money may not be the deciding factor for the former schoolteacher though, with Don telling the Bulletin earlier this season his preference was to stay on the Coast.

“My negotiations have been fairly different,” Don said of a process that can be cutthroat.

“I’ve always preferred to stay on the Gold Coast, so I’ve always just gone to the club and seen where they were at and get something done pretty quickly.

The Titans are understood to be comfortable with their contract offer to Anthony Don given his age and history of shoulder injuries, like this one when he dislocated the joint against Newcastle last year. Photo: AAP
    “I haven’t really talked to any other clubs in my career.”

But he understands the sport is a business and he may have to move on.

“I love the Titans and I love the Gold Coast, so if it happens (that I can stay), that’d be great,” he said.

“But we’re in an industry where you can get moved on pretty quickly, so you’ve got to be open to the idea of moving. You’d love to stay but you might have to go.”

- - - Updated - - -

Negotiation for your swan song contract. Time to do the dance.

Man i love don but were probably never going to win a prem with him and hed struggle to make it into the top 17 lf most other teams.

Id keep him but were never going to win a premiership with him.

The more ive watched ash over the last month the more ive realised hed been so much effective with a proper experienced half next to him. Theres been no doubt that when we have taylor playing good footy but i think the key to getting consistency out of him is having someone who can help him with the decision making that he has struggled with for the last month

Inactive User

Don was a mature age player who wouldn’t have an NRL career without the Titans. He’s been offered something by us, I’d be disappointed in him if he left despite us supposedly offering a bit less than the others. I definitely don’t think we should enter a bidding war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Don was a mature age player who wouldn’t have an NRL career without the Titans. He’s been offered something by us, I’d be disappointed in him if he left despite us supposedly offering a bit less than the others. I definitely don’t think we should enter a bidding war.
    Agree 100%

Rep Player

Extending Brenko is a great move. He is still rough around the edges but has enormous upside and will be all the better for a full pre season with us. As for Don as reliable as he has been for us he isnt a game breaker and would be nothing more than a handy backup moving forward. Think we need to focus on the future and recruit some high quality backs

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    Extending Brenko is a great move. He is still rough around the edges but has enormous upside and will be all the better for a full pre season with us. As for Don as reliable as he has been for us he isnt a game breaker and would be nothing more than a handy backup moving forward. Think we need to focus on the future and recruit some high quality backs
    We all know the Drongoes cheat the cap and have unlimited TPAs etc BUT with all these upgraded contracts they’ve given to their young forwards (some of whom stolen from us in a dodgy manner) surely some of their outside backs might be ripe for the picking?

Titans’ coach Garth Brennan issues challenge to Bryce Cartwright
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

TITANS coach Garth Brennan is holding out hope Bryce Cartwright can salvage his NRL career after challenging the $2 million flop to show he wants to succeed on the Gold Coast.

Cartwright is expected to make his return from a broken hand in the Intrust Super Cup this weekend after being a late withdrawal from Tweed Heads’ clash against Townsville in Hughenden Sunday.

The erratic 23-year-old hasn’t been spotted in the NRL since Round 12 after a series of weak defensive efforts prompted Brennan to axe him.

Cartwright’s relegation to reserve grade prompted his management to explore opportunities at other clubs, but the Titans are reluctant to subsidise Cartwright’s salary for him to leave.

In his first year as an NRL coach, Brennan went out on a limb to sign Cartwright from Penrith on a lucrative four-year deal and the highly-touted utility is yet to repay his faith.

Brennan said he did not want to punt Cartwright and it was up to him to find form on the Gold Coast.

“The ball is in Bryce’s court,” Brennan said.

“He needs to work hard, that’s the only thing that’s going to get him back playing NRL.

“It’s up to him if he wants to commit and do the hard work. There are no handouts at our club. You’ve got to earn the right to your spot.

“We’re not shopping him around. I’m still holding out hope that Bryce can turn it around.

“He is saying he wants to turn it around. He wants to work hard and fight hard to get his spot back.

“Here is his chance. It’s up to him.”

Just days before breaking his hand in a training mishap, Cartwright produced his best game for the Seagulls, running for 177m in a man-of-the-match performance.

It wasn’t enough to earn an NRL recall and Brennan said he wanted to see sustained form if he is to promote Cartwright before season’s end.

Bryce Cartwright will have to show consistent production before he will wear the colours of the Titans again. Picture: Getty Images
    “One good game is not going to make it for him,” he said.

“He needs to get back, play some football in the Queensland Cup and we’ll see where he goes from there.

“It’s up to him now to go back there, work hard and get his spot back. He’s got to show me some consistency back there and play some good footy. If you don’t earn the right you won’t be picked.

“I want him to play that well that he is demanding me to pick him on his performances, not because he’s Bryce Cartwright but because he is playing that well that I have to pick him.”

Cartwright is unlikely to be catapulted back into the NRL for Sunday’s clash with New Zealand at Cbus Super Stadium even if rookie playmaker AJ Brimson is ruled out.

Brimson suffered a heavy head knock in the Gold Coast’s disappointing loss to Newcastle last Saturday and will have to undergo concussion protocols this week.

If Brimson is ruled out, it could open the door for out-of-favour five-eighth Kane Elgey to return to first grade.

Elgey, a Gold Coast fan favourite, will not be offered a contract extension by the Titans after last being sighted in the NRL in Round 7 and is in talks to join Canterbury next season.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Family man Lee secures one year contract extension
    https://www.nrl.com/

Gold Coast Titans outside back Brenko Lee admits it was a relief to agree to terms with the club for another season after spending the past few months wondering what his future would be.

Lee, who joined the Titans from Canterbury last December on a one-year deal, lives with a large family in the Logan region and did not want to leave the glitter strip.

After suffering a knee injury in the trials, he did not debut for the Titans until round 10 but his form has been solid since.

"It's a massive weight off my shoulders," Lee said on Monday. "Family is first and foremost for me and I have made a lot of decisions in my life for my family.

"Moving away [to Canberra where he made his NRL debut] was one of them but now moving back is a thank you for my mum and dad and family and friends and they can continue to come and watch me on TV.

"I just want to finish the season strongly and come back fitter for the pre-season, put my best foot forward and get some consistency in my game."

Titans coach Garth Brennan was pleased that the Logan Brothers junior is staying.

"Brenko had a rough start to the year with a knee injury but once given the opportunity he has been a consistent performer," Brennan said.

"He's a family man who enjoys being surrounded by loved ones and it's great he can do that whilst playing here at the Titans.

"I expect a big pre-season from Brenko to be ready for 2019. He's only young and he has a bright future."

Lee's re-signing comes a week after forward Keegan Hipgrave committed to a further two years as a Titan, leaving winger Anthony Don as the last key re-signing not yet confirmed.

Don has received interest from two other clubs but wants to stay with the Titans who are restricted by salary cap pressures.

He is keen to have his future settled in the next fortnight.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    Brenko and Don are good backups imo
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    We all know the Drongoes cheat the cap and have unlimited TPAs etc BUT with all these upgraded contracts they’ve given to their young forwards (some of whom stolen from us in a dodgy manner) surely some of their outside backs might be ripe for the picking?
    100% mate! with Su'a, Issako and Haas all signing recently they would be running short on brown papers. im hoping we are looking hard at Corey Oates. I hoping he more wants to be paid as a forward then actually play as a forward and he would be exactly what we need. Outside of him it looks a bit thin on established backs off contract next year so im hoping some young up and comers stuck sitting behind in a crowded pecking order shake out in the next few months.