Page 109 of 165 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 119 159 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 2463
    First Grader

If we lose him because we overpaid for Shannon Boyd

Ben Hampton continues to impress me whether it be for Cowboys or Nth Pride today. Surely he’d be a good acquisition for our backline and add some depth. Cowboys have gone with Tuala at centre leaving Hampton languishing in the Intrust Cup, he seems NRL level for mine

Titans' Wallace faces one-match NRL ban

Gold Coast prop Jarrod Wallace is facing a one-game NRL ban for dangerous contact, which would rob him of a final chance to impress Maroons selectors next week.

https://www.sbs.com.au/

Queensland and Gold Coast star Jarrod Wallace faces a one-match NRL ban after being cited for dangerous contact in the Titans' loss to South Sydney on Friday.

Wallace was hit with a grade one charge for cannoning late into the legs of Rabbitohs forward Cameron Murray in the 15th minute at Cbus Super Stadium.

The Titans prop would've escaped suspension with an early guilty plea but has 20 carryover points and will need to contest the charge to play in next week's match against Canterbury.

A one-week ban would rob Wallace of one more chance to impress Maroons selectors and keep his State of Origin spot ahead of game two in Sydney.

The Queensland team is named on Sunday week.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

^^^ we are in a development phase now, might as well cop the week.

Inactive User

Because so many of our outside backs are interchangeable wings/centres I don’t really care whether we recruit a winger or centre BUT we bloody well need one of real quality.
    There is room in our cap, do something.

Junior

Inactive User

Gold Coast Titans: Firebrand forward Keegan Hipgrave wants to re-sign with club

FEISTY lock Keegan Hipgrave says his preference is to stay on the Gold Coast despite being seen talking to Cronulla officials last week.

Hipgrave, off-contract at the end of the season, has earnt comparisons to former Titans hardman Greg Bird for the passion and grit with which he plays and is seen as a key retention target for the Gold Coast despite the depth they have in their pack.

But he reportedly met with Cronulla last week as the Sharks chase a replacement for retiring captain Paul Gallen and could prove difficult for the Titans to keep.

GET A TABLET WHEN YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE GOLD COAST BULLETIN

Keegan Hipgrave would love to stay on the Gold Coast with the Titans next season. Photo: AAP
    The former Palm Beach Currumbin High product hopes that is not the case though.

“If I could stay here, I would love to stay here for sure.

“But that’s footy,” he said of being prepared to move as he already has in his young career after initially linking with the Broncos to play under-20s.

Hipgrave has already earnt the ire of referees for his aggressive style, suspended after each of his first two NRL games and sin-binned twice in the same game against South Sydney on Friday night.

And while he is determined not to change the way he plays, the 21-year-old was left frustrated after the Rabbitohs clash, believing he had let the team down as they chased a crucial win.

“I felt pretty disappointed after the game.

“It’s something I didn’t want to happen and it is frustrating. I felt like I did let my teammates down when I came off that second time because it makes it so much harder to defend with 12 players.

“I’ll go back and assess the game and see what I did right and what I did wrong and just work on it from there.”

Origin prop Jarrod Wallace defended Hipgrave though, noting he was a victim of the NRL’s crackdown on teams conceding consecutive penalties. He didn’t do anything wrong, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Wallace said.

“If he’d given the second penalty away rather than the fifth one, it would have been different circumstances.

“I’ll have a chat to him and keep his head high because when he was on there, he was outstanding.

“He was putting his body on the line and running hard and everything he needed to do.”

Titans captain Ryan James also praised his the young gun.

Keegan Hipgrave has earnt praise from his teammates for his aggressive attitude. Picture: Jerad Williams
    “It’s just the style he plays, he plays 100 miles an hour and that’s just Keegan,” James said.

“His energy’s second to none, he doesn’t have a second gear, it’s just sixth gear the whole time.

“Once he figures out at stages of games he can go hard and then pull off for a little bit and get his rest, he’ll be a very dominant player and it’s great to run out beside a local kid I watched run out for Palm Beach Currumbin.”

I don’t get the push against Hipgrave. In a squad as young as ours he is just another work in progress with his faults focused on being a knuckle head. It wasn’t that long ago that our captain carried that tag. He is one of us and should be retained.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

There’s a 23 year old prop/lock playing in a local Group 18 team that if he is convinced to become an NRL player next year will change everything and mean we can seriously look at strengthening the outside backs rather than this stockpiling of forwards

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    There’s a 23 year old prop/lock playing in a local Group 18 team that if he is convinced to become an NRL player next year will change everything and mean we can seriously look at strengthening the outside backs rather than this stockpiling of forwards
    If the lure of playing in the NRL can't convince him to lift his standard then why bother? There are tons of kids out there busting their boilers for an opportunity.
    The last thing we need is another Dave Taylor.
    Last edited by ozynorts; 11-06-18 at 05:42 AM.

Immortal

Caleb Ziebell

Last edited by mdrew; 11-06-18 at 06:38 AM.

I'm surprised you'd even take this seriously Bodsie. Whoever this bloke is he is playing in a comp at a standard even well below QCup standard. A massive call to suggest at 23 he could just morph into an NRL player.

Can’t be going too bad though; man of the match in the recent NSW Country Championships final which Northern Rivers won and heading with the Country team to play PNG U23’s. Ziebell is a lanky prop from Cudgen and at 23 is certainly not past it.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I'm surprised you'd even take this seriously Bodsie. Whoever this bloke is he is playing in a comp at a standard even well below QCup standard. A massive call to suggest at 23 he could just morph into an NRL player.
    Yeah, big ask. Some of the top country players in recent years have made the move to Burleigh and Tweed to have a crack at the ISC and haven't even been able to crack the 17.

No issue with age and in fact I think that 21-23 will become the new rookie age but I'd imagine any player would have to show his worth at ISC level to be within scope for a top grade gig

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I totally Understand everything you say but I trust the judgement of what I’ve been told and in what I have seen. He’s been 50/50 Cricket and Footy and been a bit sensible with his studies.

I do believe the Titans are keen though if he wants to have a crack and I’m hearing he is starting to get the hunger too.

Love to know what mdrew reckons

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Caleb Ziebell
    That’s the one MDREW
    I was scared of naming him in a forum