Page 164 of 165 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 160 161 162 163 164 165 LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 2463
    Junior

I see on the back of the Gold Coast bully today that there is no room for the "PEACH" if he renegs on our deal?

Penrith cannot afford to keep Tyrone Peachey if he reneges on his Gold Coast Titans deal

MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
    August 30, 2018 11:01am
    Subscriber only

PENRITH officials have confirmed they can’t fit Tyrone Peachey under the salary cap if he decides to renege on his three-year Gold Coast deal.

As revealed in The Saturday Telegraph, Peachey may not join the Titans because his partner is unsure about relocating as the couple plan for a second child.

Peachey’s manager Sam Ayoub has contacted Gold Coast officials about his client’s predicament and is optimistic he can work through the family issue.

“I’m reasonably confident, but I can’t commit to it 100 per cent,” Ayoub said.

“Tyrone’s partner is a bit concerned. A few of the other boys that have gone up to the Gold Coast and their partner’s haven’t settled in being away from family.

“But we are working through it and it doesn’t mean he is not going to be at the Titans.”

One thing is certain — Peachey won’t be at Penrith if he decides to knock back the Titans to remain in Sydney.

The Panthers’ priority is retaining stars like Nathan Cleary, James Fisher-Harris, Waqa Blake and Jarome Luai.

This will force Peachey to link with another Sydney club if he opts against joining the Gold Coast due to family reasons.

But Titans coach Garth Brennan claims he will be stunned if the NSW Origin star performs a Daly Cherry-Evans-style backflip on the Gold Coast.

The Titans were burned badly in 2015 when Queensland Origin star Cherry-Evans backflipped on a signed $4 million contract to remain in Manly.

The infamous “Round 13” rule which allowed Cherry-Evans to renege on the Titans deal has since been abolished and Peachey would have to be formally released by the Gold Coast if he wanted to remain at Penrith.

Brennan worked closely with Peachey during his time at the Panthers and said the indigenous All Stars representative would honour the deal.

“I don’t have any concerns whatsoever,” Brennan said.

“The clauses for Cherry-Evans getting out of the contract were there then. He was within his rights to do what he did.

“That’s not the case anymore. That clause has been changed.

“One thing I will say about Tyrone Peachey is he is a good man. He is an honourable man.

“He is committed to us. I’d be very surprised if anything changes.”

And just like that Corey Harawira-Naera signs with the Bulldogs for next year with one year remaining on his Panthers contract. I think we got us another acrobat on our hands with Peachey.

Tyrone Peachey considering backflipping on Gold Coast Titans deal over a State of Origin bonus clause

PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
    an hour ago
    Subscriber only

TITANS coach Garth Brennan and Tyrone Peachey are at loggerheads over a $50,000 payment dispute that has the NSW Origin star weighing up his move to the Gold Coast.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the key financial reason behind Peachey considering backflipping on the Titans, with the parties at odds over a bonus clause in the Panthers utility’s contract.

Under the terms of Peachey’s current contract with Penrith, the 27-year-old was entitled to a $50,000 pay rise on his deal with the Panthers next year if he played State of Origin this season.

Peachey was subsequently chosen for the Blues in May. The only problem was that, two months earlier, Penrith agreed to release Peachey to the Titans on a three-year deal starting next season.

Peachey believed his Origin selection would trigger a $50,000 bonus with the Titans, but no payment clause was included in his Gold Coast contract for the 2019 season.

Peachey’s deal with the Titans for 2020 and 2021 does contain rep-bonus incentives. And with his total Titans deal worth around $1.5 million, the Gold Coast won’t budge on the initial terms they struck with Peachey’s management.

In any event, Peachey’s base salary at the Titans for 2019 is $50,000 more than what he would have earned at Penrith next season — effectively covering the rep-bonus payment.

If Peachey attempts to renege on the deal, Penrith can’t afford to keep him anyway. Panthers supremo Phil Gould agreed to release Peachey in the first place to help Penrith’s salary-cap position for 2019 and beyond.

Titans coach Brennan doesn’t want bad blood with Peachey but has explained the club’s position to the NSW Origin rookie.

“Tyrone will be coming here,” he said. “We won’t be moving on our position and I’ve explained that to Tyrone’s manager.

“Tyrone will not be out of pocket coming to the Titans.

“Under the new rules, Tyrone can’t backflip anyway. The only way he’s not going to be here is if we decide we don’t want Peachey here anymore and we have a better alternative, but that isn’t the case.

“I’m not concerned. He signed six months ago and we have done our recruitment based on Tyrone being here.”

It is understood another factor is Peachey’s partner being unsure about relocating to the Gold Coast as they plan for a second child.

Peachey’s manager Sam Ayoub has contacted the Titans and says he has detailed some welfare concerns to Gold Coast chairman Dennis Watt.

“I met with Dennis a month ago to convey some issues around welfare and family,” Ayoub said. “Since then I’ve heard nothing from the club, but we would like to come to a resolution.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nols of the Goldy View Post
    Tyrone Peachey considering backflipping on Gold Coast Titans deal over a State of Origin bonus clause

PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
    an hour ago
    Subscriber only

TITANS coach Garth Brennan and Tyrone Peachey are at loggerheads over a $50,000 payment dispute that has the NSW Origin star weighing up his move to the Gold Coast.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the key financial reason behind Peachey considering backflipping on the Titans, with the parties at odds over a bonus clause in the Panthers utility’s contract.

Under the terms of Peachey’s current contract with Penrith, the 27-year-old was entitled to a $50,000 pay rise on his deal with the Panthers next year if he played State of Origin this season.

Peachey was subsequently chosen for the Blues in May. The only problem was that, two months earlier, Penrith agreed to release Peachey to the Titans on a three-year deal starting next season.

Peachey believed his Origin selection would trigger a $50,000 bonus with the Titans, but no payment clause was included in his Gold Coast contract for the 2019 season.

Peachey’s deal with the Titans for 2020 and 2021 does contain rep-bonus incentives. And with his total Titans deal worth around $1.5 million, the Gold Coast won’t budge on the initial terms they struck with Peachey’s management.

In any event, Peachey’s base salary at the Titans for 2019 is $50,000 more than what he would have earned at Penrith next season — effectively covering the rep-bonus payment.

If Peachey attempts to renege on the deal, Penrith can’t afford to keep him anyway. Panthers supremo Phil Gould agreed to release Peachey in the first place to help Penrith’s salary-cap position for 2019 and beyond.

Titans coach Brennan doesn’t want bad blood with Peachey but has explained the club’s position to the NSW Origin rookie.

“Tyrone will be coming here,” he said. “We won’t be moving on our position and I’ve explained that to Tyrone’s manager.

“Tyrone will not be out of pocket coming to the Titans.

“Under the new rules, Tyrone can’t backflip anyway. The only way he’s not going to be here is if we decide we don’t want Peachey here anymore and we have a better alternative, but that isn’t the case.

“I’m not concerned. He signed six months ago and we have done our recruitment based on Tyrone being here.”

It is understood another factor is Peachey’s partner being unsure about relocating to the Gold Coast as they plan for a second child.

Peachey’s manager Sam Ayoub has contacted the Titans and says he has detailed some welfare concerns to Gold Coast chairman Dennis Watt.

“I met with Dennis a month ago to convey some issues around welfare and family,” Ayoub said. “Since then I’ve heard nothing from the club, but we would like to come to a resolution.”

Far out, he’s not bad... Why would he be so hell bent on an extra $50,000? He’s going to make $1.5 million and he gets rep bonuses anyway for 2020 and 2021... Besides, if that was such an issue in the first place, he should have thought of that before he went and signed the contract. You don’t sign a contract and then try and renegotiate that deal. Doesn’t work like that.

Ayoub is one slippery mother ... if it isn’t Peachey trying to squeeze another 50k out of the club then it’s Shylock Sam trying to squeeze a similar lot in partner welfare ... we don’t need Peachey and we are in danger of having another NSW soft coq living on the Coast on our dime playing for Tweed. We can never win with these ‘honorable’ types.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Ayoub is one slippery mother ... if it isn’t Peachey trying to squeeze another 50k out of the club then it’s Shylock Sam trying to squeeze a similar lot in partner welfare ... we don’t need Peachey and we are in danger of having another NSW soft coq living on the Coast on our dime playing for Tweed. We can never win with these ‘honorable’ types.
    Agreed about Peachey, especially if he’s going to carry on the way he has. We don’t want players who don’t want to be here. I’d personally rather just let him go and try to go after other players who do.

He comes here, plays super league or union for three years. That's his options. To use your partner as an excuse for $$$$ is poor form but what do you expect from players and their managers these days. We'll be hearing from Mundine soon.

Has concerns about raising a child on the Gold Coast vs Penrith ...??

Really..????

if it's all true then just rip his contract up imo

we don't need that **** here.

So after today, do we start a 2019 thread?

Junior

I don't see why we would not just release him from his contract, he can go elsewhere. As everyone has been saying, why would we want someone at our club who doesnt want to be here.

Perhaps people should learn to honour their contracts.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    So after today, do we start a 2019 thread?
    Yep!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

If you're going to make a contract, honour it

THE Collins Concise Dictionary defines a contract as "a formal agreement between two or more parties".
    But those who follow the NRL understand fully that a contract, in a sport that is now a business and purports to be totally professional, is generally not worth the paper on which it is written.

We could fill a column on this page listing the contracts broken in recent years, often - admittedly, and sadly - with the sanction of both parties. But even when the parties agree to a settlement, that doesn't detract from the fact a contract should be broken only under extenuating circumstances.

The latest contract-breaking rumbles have come from Panthers utility Tyrone Peachey.

Apparently he has had second thoughts about moving to the Gold Coast for next season and the two years beyond.

While this cold-feet situation is not new, the suggested reason is one not trotted out previously - not that I can recall, anyway.

Peachey and his partner are planning to have a second child.

Yep, that is apparently at the crux of this veiled threat to break a three-year contract - worth a reported $1.5 million - which was inked before a ball was kicked in season 2018.

Ostensibly what Peachey, through manager Sam Ayoub, is telling the Titans is that he and his parner may become homesick. The reasoning: partners of other players who have moved north to the sand and the surf have found it difficult being away from their family support.

I concede I'm a dinosaur and from another era to those of Gen Y, but can these people be fair dinkum, and do they expect others to treat them seriously?

Peachey has played 112 NRL games and is a Blues Origin rep.

He left his hometown of Wellington in country NSW to move to Cronulla before graduating from high school in 2009. Now, at 27 years of age, he's fearful of home sicknesses?

Okay, so maybe it's his partner who is actually the one with cold feet. After all, moving away from family and friends is never easy. But I suggest a damn lot of airfares can be purchased from what the taxman leaves from a $500K annual salary.

Perhaps Tyrone's partner should have taken a leaf from the book of Samantha Lynch, the spouse of Johnathan Thurston. When JT returned from Sydney in 2013 to inform his then pregnant wife-to-be he was heading to the Panthers, she told him he would be going on his own.

Ironically, JT is also managed by Sam Ayoub, who back then had the presence of mind to stall on the legalities of a contract, believing his client might have second thoughts. The issue was quickly settled, without fanfare, and JT stayed.

But Peachey has had six months to mull over his Titans deal before raising this recent conundrum, so the question needs to be asked - why now?

Surely, he isn't just bluffing, and merely fishing for a financial sweetener?

https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au...-deal/3507551/

Not a bad read. 100% hitting the nail on the head.