Page 146 of 165 FirstFirst ... 46 96 136 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 156 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2463

Norman meets Brennan about Titans switch but must shed bad boy reputation
    Michael Chammas
    NRL.com

We've all heard about Corey Norman's bad-boy reputation.

"She's a bit out of control what everyone thinks about me," Norman says.

Unfortunately for the Parramatta five-eighth, that well-documented troubled past continues to haunt him despite his best efforts to turn his career around.

Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan is willing to give him a chance and met Norman three weeks ago.

As it stands, Norman knows he's unwanted at Parramatta. He's been tapped on the shoulder that hard he may need a reconstruction to repair it.

"That's what happens when you're sitting last on the table," he told NRL.com.

"It's well known they don't want me here and that's just part of rugby league. If you can't handle it you shouldn't be in it. Sometimes you just have to man up and move on."

The problem for Norman is he is struggling to move on.

Parramatta are last. His value is dropping by the day and most clubs are assuming Parramatta's disinterest in him is a result of off-field issues. That's not the case.

Norman is simply just the high-profile casualty of the train-wreck that is Parramatta's 2018 campaign.

He is on a deal worth close to $900,000 for next season and given his form and history, clubs are baulking at taking on such a big deal.

On a trip to the Gold Coast during Parramatta's bye round at the start of July, Norman visited his mother at Runaway Bay.

He also caught up with his former Eels teammate, Titans hooker Nathan Peats at Burleigh Heads. It's there a meeting with Brennan was organised.

They spoke about life, footy and what it is Brennan is trying to achieve at the Titans.

The Gold Coast coach is keen to sign him but it isn't his decision alone. Under the new Darryl Kelly/Rebecca Frizelle regime, those sorts of decisions are decided by a committee.

That committee includes Brennan, Kelly, chief executive Graham Annesley, head of football Phil Moss and football manager Anthony Laffranchi.

The committee wants to make sure Norman wants to come for the right reasons. They want players who want to play there, not players with no other choice. They are also a bit gun-shy given the outcome of the punt on Bryce Cartwright, who was relegated to Intrust Super Cup mid-season due to poor form.

The Titans have concerns Norman's behaviour doesn't fit into what they are trying to build. But Norman insists that's not the case.

"A lot of people who don't know me just lean on my reputation," he said.

"That's what it is sometimes. That's what happens if you have a bad reputation. People assume they know you. That was several years ago now and I've worked hard and learnt from past experiences.

"I believe I've grown. The people who know me, I know they have respect for me. I think I'm settled. I'm miles ahead of where I was three years ago."

The Titans would use Norman in the halves alongside Ash Taylor, which would likely mean AJ Brimson would shift to fullback where Brennan has previously indicated he will end up.

How much the Titans are willing to pay for Norman and what the Eels will contribute hasn't been discussed. That'll likely take place after the season, where it is expected Norman will get the chance to convince the committee in person that he is worth taking a chance on.

There's no doubt he has the ability. It was only 12 months ago most were tipping him as the next in line to take over from Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk in the Maroons side.

Things haven't panned out that way, but there's a belief in Queensland that returning to his home state will be the trigger that helps him rediscover the form that once had the Eels fighting desperately to keep him.

- - - Updated - - -

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out and we won't see the result of it until the end of the year it seems. I think Norman is a talented bloke and would complement Ash well, but him on the Gold Coast worries me..

I tell you what, one good thing is that there is a committee to decide on signings now to make sure we get the right players at this club.

Inactive User

Yeah I reckon we could get Bevan French without paying overs, he’s from Tingha and grew up a Titans Fan.
    Get Presto on the job to sell it to him.

Bundy I don’t like this “being on the Gold Coast” stuff. Our underbelly is tame compared to Sydney’s and it’s very easy to live a quiet, respectful even wholesome life here.
    Don’t like the Beautiful Little City being labelled that way.

In regards to Norman I’d be thrilled with him at 5-8 and AJ at FB (Gordon wing) but I can’t see how we can get him salary cap wise.

Seems logistically impossible.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 01-08-18 at 11:38 AM.

Why are we even considering Corey Norman

No Please.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

With Norman I’m guarded like most. However I have faith in the Recruitment Committee to make the right choices. One point that gives me some comfort IF we sign Norman at the right price is his Mum as reported still lives on the Coast. I would hope Norman with his high profile would be less likely to play up in a town his Mum lives in. Anyhow just thoughts
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Christ id LOVE Corey Norman

Not fussed with Norman on several levels ... reminds me of Josh Hoffman ... had promise, has nada.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

$900,000 I think someone was using an inverted numerical pad when they typed that.

As for French it depends on what we have promised AJ etc. French is dynamic and could be a star but he's another one that when the season isn't going well kicks the stones and loses focus.

I think people are thinking of the Tweed when they think of the underbelly side of the Coast.

Yes to Norman and big yes to French.

Aj to fb, French to right wing and a cover for fb. Peachey to centre. Lets get it done fk ya so this poor region can finally experience some winning footy
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

First Grader

French's game is built around blistering speed. He tends to get taken over the sideline quite a bit due to the fact he weighs sweet FA (kick returns are not the best either). Not to mention his ball playing skills are meh. I personally feel it would be a sideways move for the club and would be more than happy to give AJ the reigns there. Norman could be unbelievable at this club, or he could be the worst thing since jarryd Hayne. Anything over 450k is to much for Norman. I'm glad I'm not on that committee, very tough decision to make.

QLD Cup

Yes to Norman, Yes to French and a massive No to Tyrone Roberts. Either of those first two options excite me. They should be our number one priority along with signing Troy Leo into the squad. It's actually a roster that cold realistically challenge the top 8.

Only concern for me would be how Taylor and Norman gel. There's a mic'd up video of Norman running around on Youtube and he really asks a lot from the players around him (Aka. he does a lot of yelling and moaning). I don't mind it so much but I'm not so sure the sook would be happy playing second fiddle, especially if Norman comes at the expense of Roberts.

Gordon insists he's going nowhere
    Gold Coast Titans fullback Michael Gordon has rubbished reports he won't see out his two-year contract at the club

Video -> https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/01/...going-nowhere/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

^^^ what is Dominique Loudon on about???
    What reports?

If Elgey is a definite out after this season, wouldn't mind Norman replacing part/all of his 600k contract. Think it's time Troy Leo gets some sort of a contract with us before he gets snatched by another club...even if he continues to play Burleigh next year, he'd be good cover and if he were to prove himself in the NRL when he gets the chance, we'd already have him safely locked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Yeah I reckon we could get Bevan French without paying overs, he’s from Tingha and grew up a Titans Fan.
    Get Presto on the job to sell it to him.
    Interesting you should mention that Bods. Presto also grew up playing footy in Tingha, since he was born in Inverell. My old man and him go back a bit actually which is how I know That's a really good idea.