Page 1 of 165 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

titans 2018 Squad, Signings and Rumours Thread

I was interested to hear Brennan say yesterday that our squad is pretty much finalised.

I think the signing of Brendan Elliot is underrated. Not a superstar, but a solid local junior who importantly can play fullback , wing or centre.

So for a squad of 30, I am still trying to work out the final makeup.

So far, and I am just guessing -

Backs

Hayne
    Don
    Hurrell
    Copley
    Elliot

Olive
    Sarginson
    Sami
    Brimson
    Kiah Cooper
    Tyrone Roberts-Davis

Halves

Elgey
    Taylor

Backrowers

Arrow
    Hipgrave
    Proctor

Greenwood
    Kaisa Matautia
    Ryan Simpkins
    Apaita Noema

Forwards

Wallace
    James

Lawrence
    Boyle
    King
    Jai Whitbread
    Jack Stockwell

Hookers

Peats

Mitch Rein
    Lawton

Am I missing anybody?

UPDATED 9/11/17 - so not sure of tiers of contracts or who is just trialling but based on reports and photos from training camp have updated expected squad above. By my count that is 30.
    Last edited by Ausphin; 09-11-17 at 01:48 AM.

Immortal

Kaisa Apelu (Tony) Matautia. The Titans have snared this talented young second rower from the Sharks NYC side, signing him to a second tier contract for the 2018 season where he will likely play for the Tweed Heads Seagulls in the QCup competition. Tony Matautia moved over from New Zealand for the start of the 2015 rugby league season from the Upper Central Area of New Zealand where his junior club was The Taupo Phoenix in eth Bay of Plenty region.

The former New Zealand Residents U16 representative also represented New South Wales Maori over the last three seasons at the U17 and U18 levels including captaining the U18 side in 2015.* In 2015 Tony Matautia played a leading hand in Cronulla’s SG Ball premiership success and then in 2016 went on to play in eight NYC matches.* Tony Matautia also played in a couple of trials for the Newtown Jets at the start of the 2017 season giving him some experience in the open age group.

Over the course of the 2017 NYC season, Tony Matautia scored nine tries including doubles in Round Eight against the Titans, Round Fifteen against the Wests Tigers and Round Twenty Two against the Canberra Raiders.* His other tries came in Round two against the Raiders, Round Three against the Dragons and Round Fourteen against the Storm.

Of the twenty four matches that he was involved in Tony Matautia started in the second row nineteen matches and came off the interchange bench in the remaining five.* After Round Seven against Penrith Tony Matautia started in the second row in all of the matches that he was involved in for the Sharks NYC side.

In 2017 Tony Matautia who is 180cm and 104kg played in 24 NYC matches for the Sharks including their ill-fated finals campaign. His 2017 season averages included ten hit-ups, 98 metres and 20 matches a match.* Tony Matautia played a total of 1 474 minutes this season at an average of 62 minutes a match.* On ten occasions Tony Matautia played all 80 minutes including a five match stretch from Rounds Seventeen to twenty two when he did not come off the field in thus matches.

On Thirteen occasions Tony Matautia ran for more than 100 metres with his best match coming in Round Fourteen against the Melbourne Storm.* On fourteen occasions Tony Matautia made in excess of 20 twenty tackles in a match including in Round Six also against the Melbourne Storm when he made 29 tackles.* Across the season Tony Matautia had a tackling efficiency of 89.5% and only was credited with seven errors on the season and only in one match was he credited with more than one error in a game which is quite impressive certainly in relation to the NYC competition.

Tony Matautia’s style of play is that of a powerful wide running back rower with above average speed for the position. I would actually argue that in fact a better definition of his speed would be well above average to plus. Tony Matautia is quite quick off the mark, but what makes him even more impressive from a speed perspective is that when he gets into space, he has an extra gear again which is a plus attribute for such a strong powerful second rower, making it almost impossible for the cover defence to catch him once he is open space.

Couple those two aspects with a very good fend and you have a big strong powerful young player who can cause nightmares for any defensive line. Tony Matautia seems to line up on the left side of the field more so than the right, but I have no doubt moving forward that he will be able to play on either side of the field, he seems to be just so skilful.

For a backrower of his size, he runs with pace, strength and power every time he touches the ball during a game.* For a young player, Tony Matautia seems to have a good understanding of when to off load the ball, currently most of his off loads occur when he is part way through the defensive line and can get his right arm free to pass to his outside support runners.

Tony Matautia is aggressive in defence whether he is defending in the centre of the ruck or on the fringes, and due to his natural strength is more than capable of defending one on one and can and will stop even the biggest opposing forwards in their tracks and targets the area around where the attackers carry the football.* His speed and lateral movement means that he will not be beaten by light stepping halves trying to take advantage of tiring forwards or the opposition running out of dummy half.

Tony Matautia will start the 2018 season with the Tweed Heads Seagulls QCup Colts side in believe (it could well be Burleigh though) and will also train with the Titans First Grade squad over the coming off season under new coach Gareth Brennan.

Even though Tony Matautia has spent some time in the junior rugby league ranks in the centres, based on the way that he has played for Cronulla at both the SG Ball and NYC levels I believe that his futures lies in the back row at either lock or in the second row.* Tony Matautia is a strong hard working backrower with power and strength in abundance.

Tony Matautia has the look of a very talented player with a playing style similar to that of St George Dragons and New South Wales State of Origin second rower Tyson Fizzell as a powerful and devastating runner on the fringes of the ruck.

Thanks for the info Mdrew.

Sounds like it could be just what we need in the coming years.

I hope they are playing games re signings because we will not go anywhere with that list. I'm hoping things will happen now that the coach is in place but as we know nothing happens quickly at the titans.

Inactive User

Can’t say I’m unhappy to see TRoberts go. Just because it makes Taylor/LG have to accept each other and make it work.
    We definitely needed an outside back added to our squad but I’m massively underwhelmed by the addition of Elliot.

I'm excited about what Garth has to say about looking within before recruiting and talking up our juniors, I'm excited to see what Garth can do with Sami and Brinson and a few other youngsters at the club, also Kane and ash

The Cronk circus is now in high gear and it could have quite a ripple effect on player movements soon. We just might snag a couple of good players on reduced salaries if we are patient.

We don’t need another half but we need about half a squad. At least one of a front row, a back row, an inside back and an outside one PLUS who are The Prosecutor’s support staff?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

i think we have a squad that can make the 8 with good coaching

We could definitely use one more of each position though to strengthen us up.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    PLUS who are The Prosecutor’s support staff?
    He said in the interview that he was going to take his time to talk to the current staff and then make a decision. I am hoping for new conditioning and defensive appointments.

I agree that we have the squad to make the 8 in 2018. Said the same last year though. Really like some of the young guys we have in the forwards (Boyle, King, Arrow, Hipgrave etc). Not so confident about the backs. Anyone know the contract status of Panther's lower grade player Maika Sivo? I think we're lacking speed, talent and xfactor in the outside backs and Maika obviously has the Brennan connection. Both Sami and TRD showed potential, but with the exception of Don, I'm not particularly inspired by our wing options.

Also, my ideal scenario would see us sign Moylan (won't happen) or an equivalent gun fb, and move Hayne permanently into the centres for the last year he's here. That would see Copley move out to a wing.

Really looking forward to 2018 bringing the reemergence of LG. All the haters have written him off. Short memories. Little faith.
    Brennan's #1 priority should be to turn the Ash+LG combo into a force.

We need someone with raw pace. I like our forwards, it's our backs that are lacking flair and creativity.

Just read an interesting article about Hayne maybe playing 5/8 next year.

As much as I like Elgey I think that could be perfect scenario.

Hayne plays 5/8 where his size and defence will be a plus and his lack of fitness for fullback in the modern game won't be so exposed. Gives Elgey a chance to go to Qcup and regain his confidence. Also allows Brennan to see what he has got in AJ Brimson who I think is a Billy Slater light. Big call I know, but has blazing speed and unlike Slater he already has some ball playing ability from his time in the halves, unlike Billy who really had to work on it. Is also pretty strong and puts his body on the line.

Then half way through the year, when Jarryd gets inevitably injured, Elgey comes in.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...20-gz5ep0.html

Inactive User

^^^ I still believe good coaching will make a spine of Hayne/LG/Taylor/Peats to be one of the best in the NRL.

Good to have the forum back although I still think others are having trouble accessing it. Does anyone remember this article? This would be great if true and with Brennan saying Hayne to the halves it may just work out.

Gold Coast coaching aspirant to bring Penrith Panthers skipper Matt Moylan to Titans: The Mole

By The Mole
    Sep 4th, 2017

Titans coaching hopeful promises star power

Panthers NSW Cup coach Garth Brennan is mounting a massive challenge for the Titans job - and has promised the club two elite players if he gets the nod.

Brennan is believed to be saying he may take disgruntled Panthers skipper Matt Moylan with him to the Gold Coast - and also ensure the club retains marquee halfback Ash Taylor.

Brennan made a secret trip to Coolangatta last week, meeting with Taylor and several other senior players.

Gold Coast coaching candidate Garth Brennan is confident of keeping Ashley Taylor at the Titans if he lands the job. (AAP)

Brennan and Taylor are close mates and the star halfback is pushing for him to get the job - and threatening to return to the Broncos if Brennan is passed over.

Despite the denials, Moylan wants out of Penrith and if Brennan get the Titans gig, he’ll be sitting next to him on the plane.

Moylan isn’t happy at the Panthers and the club is likely to grant his request for a release.

Brennan has served a long apprenticeship in the lower grades and sees this as his chance to finally break through into the NRL.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/05/...itans-the-mole

Would be a good team with Hayne and Taylor in the halves, Peats at Hooker and Moylan at fullback. I hope that this can be done.
    Psmitty