Page 45 of 165 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 145 ... LastLast

No to an aging Coote. We’ve got Gordon who’s one of ours and his replacement should a stellar young gun, wishfully local but must be young.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

^^^ yeah I agree. I’m no wrap on him either. I hope we look elsewhere.

If there is anything to take out of the Coote article is that players are wanting to come to the play and be part of the titans which is showing the culture is changing for the better

What Coote article are you guys talking about? Can someone post it.
    Psmitty

Inactive User

North Queensland Cowboys face fight to retain premiership fullback Lachlan Coote

COWBOYS premiership fullback Lachlan Coote will test his value on the open market and is prepared to consider defecting to Queensland rivals the Titans.

The Sunday Mail can reveal the off-contract Coote will formally begin negotiations with rival clubs as North Queensland face a multimillion-dollar battle to retain budding superstar Michael Morgan.

Coote’s preference is to stay at the grand finalists but with the Cowboys having 18 players off-contract this season, the club risks losing the 27-year-old to cashed-up NRL rivals.

Coote’s manager Mark Stewart flew to Townsville last Tuesday to discuss the fullback’s future.

He instructed his agent to look at all options including the Titans, who last week lured Bryce Cartwright from Penrith — the club at which Coote launched his NRL career.

SHUFFLE: Cows consider shock switch for Morgan

Coote is considering his options. (Zak Simmonds)
    Scotland international Coote has become a critical member of North Queensland’s playmaking spine. With Morgan, Johnathan Thurston and hooker Jake Granville, he helped the Cowboys smash their 20-year title hoodoo in their epic grand-final defeat of Brisbane in 2015.

But with Morgan seeking up to $1.1 million a season to stay at the Cowboys, the club may struggle to meet Coote’s asking price of $750,000 — opening the door for NRL suitors.

Stewart has held preliminary discussions with the Cowboys but confirmed Coote is up for sale at a time when NRL clubs are on the hunt for quality fullbacks.

“Lachlan has decided to explore other options and test himself on the open market and see what’s out there,” Stewart said.

Coote’s next move could the biggest of his career. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)
    “Lachlan’s preference is to stay at the Cowboys, they have been great to him, but he isn’t getting any younger. This is probably the most important contract of his career.

“He wants to do the right thing by the Cowboys and they will get first crack at his services but at some point we’re going to look at what else is out there.

“Whether the Cowboys can afford Lachlan, with Michael Morgan and Te Maire Martin also off-contract, remains to be seen.

“I had a meeting with the Cowboys before Christmas but nothing has happened for the past month, so he’s a bit forgotten in a star-studded Cowboys team.”

Like Cartwright, former Panther Coote has links with Titans coach Garth Brennan and Stewart said a move to the Gold Coast is a genuine possibility.

“The Titans are certainly an option,” he said. “If they are interested, we would certainly be willing to talk to them.

“The Titans are looking for a fullback and ‘Cootey’ has experience as a premiership-winning fullback.

“I rate Garth Brennan as a coach, he has coached a number of my clients and they all get better under his tutelage.”

Brennan hopes to develop a young fullback from within but says Coote is an option to succeed veteran Titans recruit Michael Gordon, who turns 35 in October.

“I was the under-20s coach when Cootey was at Penrith,” Brennan said. “Quality players like Lachlan Coote will certainly be discussed.

“First of all we want to look within our own backyard and see if there’s a young guy there that over the next two years might fill that role for us.

“But Coote is a quality player, there’s no doubt about that, and any quality player on the market we will certainly consider.”

Here u go smitty-great to see you have stuck around post Hayne unlike Mr S who has dropped off.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 11-02-18 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks for posting that. No to Coote, he turns 28 in a few months. I would prefer A J Brimson over Coote.
    Psmitty

Green can't even guarantee Coote has the fullback spot this year at the Cowboys. With JT fit and Te Maire Martin the encumbered NZ half (not that you'd brag about that) Morgan may go back to fullback and Coote might miss out.

But at least we are getting players managers coming to us.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Thanks for posting that. No to Coote, he turns 28 in a few months. I would prefer A J Brimson over Coote.
    No worries and good call. If we are going to have a midget fullback then let’s develop and go with Brimson over Coote for sure.

750k is a bit rich for him. But I wouldn't close the door on it just yet. See how we get going this season first. Our situation may change dramatically, we do seem to have a pattern of it.

Coote has a fair bit over Gordon at fullback
    Last edited by teke; 12-02-18 at 01:36 AM.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

The Cowboys have had the best of Coote.
    A Lightweight that I can not find a requirement for.
    No thank you.

Id easily take coote. Sure hes been a little out of form over the last few years but he can be an incredible player.

Hed be a good pickup but as others have said anything over 550k is no good

No for a Coote as well. Like to see our money saved to develop others. Maybe AJ or Sami start to bloom and we don’t need to go to the market.

I also like a back 3 of Proctor , Carty and lock Arrow.

Also on the Carty signing it looks like he was forced from Penrith not by the club but by people that were friends of his ex girlfriends. It’s alleged that he has had his place trashed a few times. So that would be pretty daunting for a new dad.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Penrith, the epi-centre of Boganville.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Brennan seems set of returning James to back row once we get JWall & Boyle back on deck so I don’t know where that will leave Arrow