Page 102 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 112 152 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2463

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Funny to Read everyones opinions on different players. It's very much a mixed bag of likes and dislikes at the moments.

I'm a strong No to Elgey
    a No to Sami
    a No to Copley although everyone seems to love him at the moment
    a Yes to AJ
    a Yes to Konrad
    a Yes for Gordon for another year at fullback or wing depending on the rest of the line up
    and Don is a 50/50 for me at the moment but I am swaying towards move him on

In the forward I would move Matthews and Greenwood on.
    A good way to quickly summarise things smitty.
    In relation to your opinions I'd agree with most, the exceptions being a big no to Konrad and a probable yes to Copley. I might have wavered on Copley at the start of the year but I have been pretty impressed by him this year.
    In regard to your later comments on Hurrell, I think he has never played like a centre. He is as slow as a wet week and his barging runs are great but I'd rather a centre that can score tries rather than someone who is just dumb enough to volunteer running at brick walls. Love him as a bloke and clubman but his days are past. He only stood out as we had a sh1t side and was one of the few things we had to cheer about when he made a good run.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 21-05-18 at 06:54 PM.

No problem paying Oates big money but I reiterate; he won't leave the Ponies unless he plays in the forwards and we don't need that.

I walked into the stadium last week with Koni and had a chat for about ten minutes. He's pretty relaxed about not being in the 17. He said he can understand why he's been dropped, would like to be back in the 17 but feels he's got an uphill battle to get back.

On Copley; you're only as good as your next game and he's going fine. Judging him on last year's form is hardly fair. He's fitter, relatively injury-free and more settled in the squad ... what's he done wrong?
    Last edited by Titanic; 22-05-18 at 07:25 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

^^^^ Koni definitely needs to tear it up big time in QCup now to get back if there aren’t any injuries. And not make errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    but I reiterate; he won't leave the Ponies unless he plays in the forwards.
    Im not so sure of this
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Oates would be a pearler of a buy and would be worth every cent. Only thing that works against us is that he has publicly stated that he wants to be a backrower. Don't know why he does when he's such a good winger. Strong carrier of the footy and can find the line 9 times out of 10. Think his position wishes might count us out though unfortunately.
    Simple really mate, you can't earn the money as a winger that a forward does....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    I think people too often judge people by there current form. I think Copley is doing great at the moment but the two years before he was very average in defence and often didn't offer much in attack also. So I guess I am making my judgement over the last two or three years rather then the first part of this year. He may stay good but to me it is risky.

Konrad is exactly the opposite of Copley. When he first came to us and most of last year he ran hard, made breaks and had a good impact. Yes he is out of form at the moment but in the long term I think he will come good.

I also think Cartwright will come good also but I am not as certain with him.

I guess I am not basing my opinion on current form but overall form in the last year or two.
    If your going to look at past form then you also can't ignore Konrad being dropped to reggies by the Warriors for the exact same issues that he is having for us...... That tells me that he hasn't learnt and likely never will....

QLD Cup

Although I am quite a big fan of Koni, I think we should make a play to get Brian Kelly back for next season. Although he's got defensive liabilities (like every right centre this club has eve had) he's quick off the mark and has got plenty of attacking potential

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Although I am quite a big fan of Koni, I think we should make a play to get Brian Kelly back for next season. Although he's got defensive liabilities (like every right centre this club has eve had) he's quick off the mark and has got plenty of attacking potential
    I'd like to have him back too but I point out he is a left centre at Manly and he is certainly not better than Copley. I'm hoping that after a season of injuries at the Eels that GL looks to come back and challenges Don for his spot.

For me our recruitment comes down to where we are going to play Peachey.

If in the centres like Brennan has previously mentioned, then you have him and Copley. If Peachey plays at 6 I would like to see Brimson moved to fullback and Gordon on the wing. For me, AJ is that ideal modern day fullback. Quick, elusive and can ball-play as well. No suprise that players like him, Ponga and Dufty all have an elite touch background.

I really like LG but he and Ash don’t gel. Think Kane is more of a halfback but Ash isn’t going anywhere.

Depending on how Brenko goes rest of the year he might be an option to keep. I know Koni is still on contract next year, but even when he was playing well last year he was still a liability with his defensive reads and brain snaps.

Maybe a gun winger is what we need - someone like Isaako or Koroibete. Big and fast.

Brimson
    Isaako
    Copley
    Lee
    Gordon
    Peachey
    Taylor

Looks ok to me with Sami and Koni as depth.
    Last edited by Ausphin; 22-05-18 at 10:47 AM.

Don’s hanging in there

TITANS cult hero Anthony Don fears he could be squeezed out of the Gold Coast after admitting he is playing for his NRL future at the club.

The winger is off-contract beyond this season. The 30-year-old has scored five tries in 11 games this year following an injury ravaged pre-season in which he underwent a shoulder reconstruction before being hospitalised with a serious infection.

Don will make his 98th NRL appearance, against the Roosters in Gosford, on Saturday and admitted he had been slow out of the blocks.

“I haven’t been in as good form as I’d like,” he said. “I didn’t do any training before Christmas because of my shoulder and the infection.

‘‘I was a bit rushed and didn’t have as much of an offseason as most.

“I’m not using it as an excuse. I’ve had 11 rounds now. I’ve got to keep stepping up.

“I’m trying to get better and better to secure my spot in the team.”

Don made his NRL debut for the Titans in 2013.

He has rarely been out of the team since and is one try away from equalling Kevin Gordon (58) in second spot on the Titans’ leading tryscorers list.

Don could eclipse David Mead’s record of 67 tries for the club this season, but his future beyond 2018 is unknown with new coach Garth Brennan at the helm.

“It’s definitely an interesting time,” Don said.

“I’d be lying if I said it’s a good thing but I know the ball is in my court. “If I play good footy everything will look after itself, if I stay here or have to leave.

“I haven’t really had any discussions (with Brennan) yet. ‘I’ll see what happens in the next month or two. “I’d love to stay.’’ While Brennan has signed Tyrone Peachey from Penrith and Canberra’s Shannon Boyd, Origin prop Jarrod Wallace is one of the few current Titans players Brennan has locked in.

Don, Dale Copley and Kane Elgey are the Gold Coast’s three highest-profile players who are without contracts for 2019.

htttp://www.gcbulletin.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD Cup

I'd like to have him back too but I point out he is a left centre at Manly and he is certainly not better than Copley. I'm hoping that after a season of injuries at the Eels that GL looks to come back and challenges Don for his spot.
    GL was on my mind too.

I've followed Copley from day dot and Kelly at the same age has performed the better of the 2 mainly because he was thrust into action before he was ready. Kelly is only going to get better whereas Copes is not
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I've followed Copley from day dot and Kelly at the same age has performed the better of the 2 mainly because he was thrust into action before he was ready. Kelly is only going to get better whereas Copes is not
    This is how I feel about Sami.

I don’t get all the Copley negativity. Sure he’s not GI but he’s committed, pretty quick, passes, tackles and scores tries ... seems fair enough to me.

When Copley is injury free (which he has been for most of 2018 luckily) he is a bloody good player. In recent weeks he's embarrassed both Roberts and Chambers who are Origin centres (well the latter only for now) with his footwork and strength. Also he has improved his defence massively and most of the defensive issues last year was probably due to defending near Elgey and Greenwood which every centre would struggle with. I'd be keeping him for a few more years on that left edge.

As for Don, I actually think keeping him wouldn't be the worst thing. He won't break the bank and would stay for minimum wage or close to it. He's one of the safest in the league under the high ball and can find the line (soon to be our leading try scorer). His weakness is his little jinking runs which don't gain any metres really but he still has the ability to bust the line like he did this week. But either way he'd be good depth to have for cheap.

Inactive User

^^^ yeah definitely offer Don something around minimum wage. Being a one club player and spending the rest of his life as a GC icon might be enough to get him to stay put. Be a great bloke to bring in if a couple of 3/4s went down