Page 78 of 165 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2463

Ricky Stuart slams Gold Coast Titans over 'astronomical' offer to Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd
    http://www.sportingnews.com/

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart joked that he hooked prop Shannon Boyd during Saturday’s 32-18 victory over the Gold Coast to stop the Titans from upping their offer to the Raiders prop even further.

It was a rare attempt at humour for the intense Raiders boss but Stuart made it clear he is unimpressed by the raids from rival clubs – including the Titans – who he says are offering ‘huge’ money for his players.

Halves Aidan Sezer and Blake Austin are off contract at season’s end while representative forwards Josh Papalii, Junior Paulo and Boyd are also free to move on at the end of 2018.

“The Gold Coast, there was talk about it all week about the huge money for Shannon, but they’ve got to know there’s other blokes up there that they should be looking at as well because they’re in their squad right now,” Stuart fumed.

“And you could understand why a young bloke like (Jarrod) Wallace would be a bit disgruntled in regards to where he’s at.

“I mean he’s off contract and he’s an Origin player too, but I just think that I’ve got to have a squad of players here that want to be a Raider as well.”

Boyd has reportedly been offered $650,000 a season to join the Titans, with multiple reports suggesting the big fella has already accepted the deal.

“He’s been linked to the Gold Coast for $650,000 a year and I had to take him off,” Stuart said at his post-match press conference.

“And I said to him when I took him off, ‘They’ll want to give you $900,000 now’, so I got him off to see if we can try and keep him.”

Paulo has reportedly been offered a whopping $2.8 million, four-year deal to return to the Eels, while it is understood Papalii’s asking price is up to $800,000 a season.

“They are off contract and I want to keep every one of them, but I can’t pay the huge money that is being offered to these boys,” Stuart explained.

“And if Junior and Boydy are getting this astronomical money from other clubs, they go with my best wishes.

“It’s going to affect us as a football team, it’s going to affect our club. I wanted to keep stability while I’m coaching here because I know stability will get you success at some stage.

“But the money that’s being thrown around for those two boys is astronomical and we can’t match it, simple as that.

“The one thing I want to do here as a club now is I want players to be here for all the right reasons, not just for getting the most money.

“And that’s got nothing to do with Junior or Shannon, but the money they’re being offered is huge.

“… I want to keep them all but we can’t go paying them all that sort of money because I won’t have a football team.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

What do you all make of what's happening over at the Bulldogs? 14 players off contract and they have $800,000 in the cap. Seeing as though the minimum wage at the NRL is $85,000, there's no way in the wide world they're going to be able to keep most of them. Anyone reckon any players from there would be worth signing?

I'm all for expansion, but seeing our own club's player stocks maybe our game can't handle 17 and even 18 clubs. It'd be a bit like 1995. I hope I am wrong.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    What do you all make of what's happening over at the Bulldogs? 14 players off contract and they have $800,000 in the cap. Seeing as though the minimum wage at the NRL is $85,000, there's no way in the wide world they're going to be able to keep most of them. Anyone reckon any players from there would be worth signing?
    Who are their Centres? We really need a solid Centre. Or a lightning quick winger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Who are their Centres? We really need a solid Centre. Or a lightning quick winger.

They've got the likes of Moses Mbye, Will Hopoate, Marcello Montoya, the Morris brothers, but I'm not sure if any of those are off contract.

They've got the likes of Moses Mbye, Will Hopoate, Marcello Montoya, the Morris brothers, but I'm not sure if any of those are off contract.
    Mbye would be sweet, but he’s the only one I would chase. Can’t see the dogs letting him go. In a perfect world I’d be chasing aitken from the dragons.

Stuff chasing Boyd he is going to be overs no matter how we look at it.
    I would rather Napa. Once linked to us so I wonder if any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Stuff chasing Boyd he is going to be overs no matter how we look at it.
    I would rather Napa. Once linked to us so I wonder if any chance?
    Good thinking, Napa would make a great winger outside Jackson Hastings

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Good thinking, Napa would make a great winger outside Jackson Hastings
    What a bloody crack up MSR.
    You still crying mate? Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    What a bloody crack up MSR.
    You still crying mate? Time to move on.
    Could'nt agree more mate, very unprofessional from HS

I had Napa pencilledin as our new no. 6 to feed Hastings on that left edge for the record mate.

RVS you think there is any chance we play Shannon Boyd at fullback?

Quote Originally Posted by NZTITAN View Post
    Could'nt agree more mate, very unprofessional from HS

I had Napa pencilledin as our new no. 6 to feed Hastings on that left edge for the record mate.

RVS you think there is any chance we play Shannon Boyd at fullback?
    Shannon Boyd at fullback, Sam Kasiano on the left wing, Andrew Fifita on the other wing

What a back line

Shannon Boyd at fullback, Sam Kasiano on the left wing, Andrew Fifita on the other wing

What a back line

I totally agree with Stuart. Our own forward rotation is fine and we should keep and develop them all. It’s our backs that are crap apart from an aging Gordon, Copley and Taylor. Perhaps Brimson and Elgey can come good but Boyd reminds me too much of the Dole Train.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Well, compared to Hayne's, Shannon Boyd would still have more to offer in the position. Probably got a chip 'n chase game that rivals Bull as well.

Would much rather see us chasing an aggressive enforcer, preferably one who can run as well eg Regan Campbell, Marty Tapau mould.

We also are in desperate need of a large fram hard running left winger. I feel a lot more confident with Elliott and Copley in left centre, if we can get a strong carrier back, it should put us in good position to start sets.