Page 73 of 165 FirstFirst ... 23 63 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 83 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2463
    Inactive User

^^^ yeah it does my head in. Then they claim they developed them.
    This is where we need the New Chairman that we got from Brisbane (can’t think of his name) to show us the way.

Inactive User

Some scribe Rohan O’Neil just wrote an opinion piece for the CM purely designed to use the Wallace speculation to undermine us.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually how about I just share it

The Front Row: Heart needs to be where the home is

IF I was a Gold Coast Titans fan I’d be more than a little peeved about the news that star forward Jarrod Wallace had sounded out a return to the Brisbane Broncos in the off-season.

It’s understood the Maroons hardman has reached out to his former club and he is quoted in today’s The Courier-Mail saying he “will always love the Broncos”.

Jarrod Wallace during a Gold Coast Titans training session. Photo: AAP
    Wallace has a player option in his favour for next season that gives him 500,000 good reasons to stay at the rebuilding club but it may count for little if NRL heavyweights the Broncos do come calling.

The career of a rugby league player can be wildly unpredictable and one bad injury could end it all so it’s completely understandable that these players try to make as much money as possible during their time in the game.

They play a hugely physical game and have families and lives to think about after football, so players swapping clubs for a better financial situation has never bothered me.

But what is concerning is Wallace’s “love” for another club, a comment that should infuriate diehard Titans fans and sponsors that pour their own hard-earned cash in to the club to keep it afloat.

Wallace got his start in the NRL at the Broncos and undoubtedly has a ton of fond memories from his time in their ranks but even if he is holding a candle for Wayne Bennett and co, dropping the “L” bomb is surely overkill.

Titans fans only have took back as far as the Jarryd Hayne debacle to see the results of what happens when a player wants to return to the place that kickstarted his career.

Hayne raised more than a few eyebrows when he declared at a press conference to announce his return to the NRL with the Titans that he was upset that he couldn’t return to the club he had loved as a kid.

“Not in my wildest dreams I ever thought I would be up on the Gold Coast,” Hayne told reporters that day.

What followed was a nightmare of a stint that the club is still counting the cost of — just asked sacked coach Neil Henry.

It’s not just a rugby league issue, in all professional sports there are instances of a player’s “heart” lying with one club while they collect a pay cheque and pull on the colours of another.

Fans fork out for memberships and cheer on from the stands wearing $170 dollar replica jerseys and drinking overpriced flat beer while supporting the team they love, so is it too much to ask that players have a monogamous relationship with their current club?

I’d LOVE to hear your thought on it.

Not sure how much weight to place on the "Love" word from Wallace. Could just be a slip of the tongue but if his heart is really there then pull the offer and let Brisbane pay him less. All and all Meh!
    The article pisses me off dredging up the train wreck thing.

Immortal

Yes mate I have seen a recent improvement in relation to junior development. Don’t get me wrong we have and to a degree always will lose a few boys to primarily the Broncos and Roosters but the crop of U15’s signed recently is positive. The initial time a youngster can sign an actual contract is 15, prior to that they are in developments squads etc.

A youngster like Brody Smitka is a good example, the young front rower has signed with the Titans and looks a player as does PBC second rower Ezra Ubaldino and half Tom Weaver.

In Northern New South Wales things have taken a positive turn and three of the best Grafton/Ballina region players are contracted to the Titans being Rowan Mansfield, Ethan Foster and Ben Liyou.

At the U18 level Blake Campbell is outstanding as is Lofi Khan-Pereira and some of the Western Mustangs boys are no slouches.

In the U20’s Jaxson Paulo is an outstanding young centre who could break into the Queensland Cup as a 19 year old and forwards like Rehiana Marsh, Darius Farmer, James Robinson and Daniel Brownbill look more than promising.

Payne Haas was mentioned previously the Titans have their own incredibly talented front row prospect in Moeaki Fotuaika who is just as good as Payne Haas but because he is contracted to the Titans does not get the same level of publicity.

There is always more to be done, but positive signs, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I’m sick to death of The Drongoes and others taking the talent that Gold Coast parents, clubs, coaches and schools develop and then in their arrogance and narcissism then take all the credit for.

Coach Brennan said when appointed he was going to future proof the GC and change all that. MDREW have you seen any evidence yet that this is changing???

Inactive User

^^^ thanks mdrew for taking the time to write that encouraging post

Mdrew is the man !!!!! Love your work mate as always. :-)
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Thanks Mdrew for that news finally we are making some headway’s in junior development been a long time coming

Off-contract forward Jarrod Wallace mulls over Titanic new offer

NRL PREMIERSHIP
    April 24, 2018 5:21pm
    by MURRAY WENZEL

THE fact Jarrod Wallace has discovered his best rugby league on the Gold Coast should deter him from a Brisbane homecoming, according to coach Garth Brennan.

The Titans have tabled a four-year deal reportedly worth nearly $2 million to keep the Queensland Origin forward.

While Wallace, 26, says he’d happily play out his career as a Titan he isn’t about to miss the chance for his agent to shop around.

“I love it on the Coast, love playing here, love all the boys but I’ve got the best manager going around so he’ll do that for me,” he said.

“That’s the best part about paying a manager.

“I’d love to finish off my career here but it’s between my manager here and my coach and I’ll just keep playing good footy to help my cause.”

Wallace played 73 games for Brisbane before moving an hour south saw him reach another level and earn a Queensland jersey last season.

He will play his 100th NRL match against Cronulla on Saturday and despite Wallace admitting he still had a soft spot for the Broncos, his coach hopes it isn’t the last milestone in Titans colours.

“(If he signs the deal) he’d be the longest signed player at the club,” Brennan said.

“So he’s a big part of our plans going forward”
    “He’s settled here, bought a house and I’m more than confident that he’ll stay but if he doesn’t we’ll move on.”

It isn’t the first time Brennan has been caught in a tug-of-war with the Broncos, having already won out in the race for halfback Ashley Taylor’s signature.

“Ash and Jarrod both started at Broncos but at the end of the day both have played their best football on the Gold Coast and that’s a sign where this club’s heading,” he said.

“It’s Jarrod’s manager’s job to get the best deal for him, that’s what he pays him for.

“But we’ve put together what we think is a good offer.”

I'm getting pretty sick of reading these articles on Wallace. (Note; not you guys for posting them)

Wallace was one of my favourite players, but these articles and "quotes" he's making.....he's painting a picture of himself as a mercenary. I hope his style does not rub off on young Arrow.

The only thing that would be worse than being a club where players come at the end of their careers, would be to become a club that gives good young players a go, coaching them to rep level...only to have them leave at the first chance for more money.

Wallace has effectively broken my heart with his comments. I don't care for his lip service in how much he loves this club or area. If he is publicly stating that he is fully prepared to walk away, based on what his self perceived super manager advises him to do, then I say let him go.

We are trying to build something here. A Gold Coast team that has committed players. Committed to the team, to each other and to the future. I guess it goes to show...you can take the boy out of the broncos, but you can't take the broncos out of the boy.

I suggested weeks ago on here that we sign Boyd. He has represented Australia not so long ago and I think Garth could get him there again. Garth is too smart of an operator not to have a plan B.

My kingdom for more players in the same ilk as Dark!!!

If he left our club for less money then I'd be upset and worried. Basically players will come to our club for more money and players will leave our club for more money. It's not unique to our club, it's just what it is.

I agree money is king, but not to all. Some players are happy to show some loyalty and gratitude to their clubs. Parramatta offered Steve Menzies everything except Parra stadium to leave manly. How much did the broncos want Ryan James?

I know what you're saying JB, and I know it's reality...but I like it when blokes say no thanks, I like it here. I wish there was more of it!

Of course, on the flip side...I am more than happy to poach players from other clubs. lol

Worrying about contract negotiations is like never farting in case you’ll follow through.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    MDREW and anyone else in the know: Are we any hope of getting Payne Haas to come home?
    Looks like we'll get a look at Haas on Thursday. Rumoured to get his debut for the Donkeys.

Usually laugh and move on at facebook rumours but just saw an interesting one in the SuperCoach Addicts group. Someone claiming that Elgey was dropped for disciplinary reasons and may even have his contract torn up. Find it extremely hard to believe as Elgey seems like a levelheaded kid but thought I’d share anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Usually laugh and move on at facebook rumours but just saw an interesting one in the SuperCoach Addicts group. Someone claiming that Elgey was dropped for disciplinary reasons and may even have his contract torn up. Find it extremely hard to believe as Elgey seems like a levelheaded kid but thought I’d share anyway.
    The Courier Mail would have turned this into a 500 word story before the days done, quoting "insider sources"