Thread: The 2018 draw

Default The 2018 draw

What are peoples thoughts.

I appreciate that two home games had to move due to the Comm Games but obviously I'm disappointed that the Manly game is lost to Gladstone. StGeorge is also a great atmosphere usually and that game is lost to us as well which is a marketing blunder. How they'll fit them in at that dump in Toowoomba will be interesting.

The lack of games at home from rounds 2-8 will hurt us but I like the number of Sunday games. Every club suffers in some way so we have come out of it ok I reckon.

Yep they are two of our best draws. I gather this was part of the bargaining chips with the QLD government to underwrite these regional adventures.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

We also don't have ANY 5 day turn around's again this year. I will be at the Rnd 5 game in Gladstone PROVIDING we are still the Titans and not the bears.

Actually I will rephrase that. I will most likely be at the Gladstone game but whether or not I am a member will come down to the ownership.

- - - Updated - - -

And if we are the bears I will not be wearing red and black........

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    What are peoples thoughts.

I appreciate that two home games had to move due to the Comm Games but obviously I'm disappointed that the Manly game is lost to Gladstone. StGeorge is also a great atmosphere usually and that game is lost to us as well which is a marketing blunder. How they'll fit them in at that dump in Toowoomba will be interesting.

The lack of games at home from rounds 2-8 will hurt us but I like the number of Sunday games. Every club suffers in some way so we have come out of it ok I reckon.
    Mate, I was a little disappointed as well but then the missus said why don't I go and watch it? Nothing to do at Gladstone I know but we have decided to catch a train up there for something different. Probably only stay 1 day.

We're back baby. Looks like there won't be much work getting done today!

Fantastic job on getting the site back up and running. Missed the banter.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the draw. I have a brother in toowoomba so I’ll make a weekend of it. Like the last two home games of Storm and Cowboys.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I love the draw. I’m looking forward to the Toowoomba game and I’ve already booked flights to Sydney for the Leichhardt game - I’ve never been there!! Looking forward to a hopefully Hayne-less 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I love the draw. I’m looking forward to the Toowoomba game and I’ve already booked flights to Sydney for the Leichhardt game - I’ve never been there!! Looking forward to a hopefully Hayne-less 2018.
    Leichhardt is amazing, well it was when I went many moons ago. And to be fair it was SOUTHS vs WESTS, so the crowd was packed and the atmosphere great.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titanic date is likely at Marley Brown Oval
    https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/

Because that is when Marley Brown Oval will host its first-ever NRL match for premiership points between Gold Coast Titans and Manly Sea Eagles from 2pm, announced yesterday.

And for those who are craving to see Central Queensland talent on display, the Capras will do battle against Burleigh Bears, likely at noon.

New Capras chief executive Peter White said while the 2pm slot was set in stone the other times for the lower grade matches were yet to be confirmed.

"Potentially there could be three grades -18s, 20s and A-grade - and we are yet to determine what time frames and who's playing when but we have up to three support games," he said.

This includes the Capras match and two matches after the NRL match.

"I think that any time is going to suit anyone and it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for people in Central Queensland to finally have for the first time our very own NRL game," White said.

With a temporary grandstand to be placed, White expects fans to flock to Marley Brown and pack out the precinct.

This may lead to more NRL games at Gladstone's prime sports arena.

"We're trying to do all we can and make sure we get as many people safely and practically in the grounds and we want to make it something that is annual," White said.

"I know the Mayor Matty Burnett has worked very hard to make this happen with the support of Glenn Butcher and the state government.

"We are very grateful and we want to make it an experience that everyone just really enjoys."

Capras coach Kim Williams said the 2018 QRL Intrust Super Cup draw, which was also announced yesterday, could have the Central Queensland club off to a flier.

"I think it's favourable to us to be honest and in the first eight rounds, we have got six home games and we've got two home rounds to start in front of the Browne Park crowd, which is fantastic for us," he said.

To cash in and get more wins than losses in the first two months of the season is crucial, in particular on the back of a poor season in 2017.

Williams said it was also important to get the confidence up to get his team as best prepared as possible ahead of a run of away matches to counter the favourable draw at the start.

"Whenever you are coming off the back of a pretty poor season, you want to start the next one really well," he said.

The coach noted that while the mental lapses could resurface, the first phase of pre-season had been exemplary.

"That will be our main focus, to make sure we are ultra-competitive in those early rounds and wins are important for us and doing it in front of our home crowds is even more important," Williams said.

DIARY DATES

April 8: NRL 2pm at Marley Brown - Gold Coast Titans v Manly Sea Eagles. QRL noon (likely) - Capras v Burleigh Bears

July 21-22: "Get in the Game" Country Week - Burleigh Bears v Capras - time and venue TBA

Sept 23: QRL grand final at Suncorp Stadium - time and venue TBA

Titans' Toowoomba NRL fixtures are 'million dollar games'
    https://www.thechronicle.com.au/

UPDATE: THE economic benefits from the Gold Coast Titans playing NRL games in Toowoomba could inject millions into the region's economy.

TSBE CEO Shane Charles, whose organisation helped lobby for a long-term agreement for the Titans to play games in the Garden City, said the marquee Toowoomba NRL fixture between the club and St George Illawarra next year was a great commerce opportunity.

"With the number of visitors in town there is an upward of a million dollar boost there," he said.

"There are 3500 visitors coming who will bring $500,000 just through accommodation booking that night alone.

"The pubs will be full and the restaurants will be booked out."

With news of an agreement between the Titans and a Toowoomba business consortium to work towards bringing the Titans to the city for a game every year, a long term deal beyond 2018 would be worth millions.

The Chronicle can reveal that a deal "in principle" has been reached between the Titans and a consortium consisting of Toowoomba and Surat Basin Enterprise, Toowoomba Regional Council, Hutchinson Builders, Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport and the Western Mustangs for the city to host an NRL game for years to come.

"The Titans are absolutely chomping at the bit to be involved with us for the next three or four years," Hutchinson Builders business manager Nick Barker said.

"They've indicated, that with what we are trying to do, they are committed and aim to do this every year."

While the agreement has yet to be signed formally, the deal will likely bring an economic boost for the region.

Mr Barker estimated the potential financial return could even be in the same ball park as what the Carnival of Flowers brings into the local economy.

Titans training in Toowoomba: The Gold Coast Titans train at Clive Berghofer Stadium before their NRL trial match against the New Zealand Warriors.

"While we are still figuring out an exact number we're looking at something similar in the ilk of Carnival of Flowers," he said.

Plans for next year's game between the Titans and St George Illawarra, however, are already gathering pace.

Coach and air transport options are being explored by the consortium to bring as many St George Illawarra fans into the Garden City as possible.

The swell of supporters set to make their way to Toowoomba has left organisers weighing up options to expand the capacity of Clive Berghofer Stadium.

"We're looking at opportunities to increase the capacity from 9000," Mr Barker said.

"We would love it if we could increase that to 11,000 so we are looking at short-term hire solutions to increase the seating."

Any idea when tickets are going to be available? Specifically for the Toowoomba game?