Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default World Cup 2017 discussion

World Cup 2017 discussion
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Well I got my tickets to the Semi and Final in Brisbane. I can't believe it is time for another World Cup. But I really love it and always have. Without this side of the game my love of the sport would be greatly deminished. I also love that if you talk to an internationalist they are unlikely to be a cynic and be serious students of the game and in many cases, doers. Doers in building the sport or touring the world to seek it out.

So once again I think the World Cup will offer stronger and more representative sides. Scotland has sadly not progressed domestically but they were a surprise in the 2013 World Cup. Tonga are obviously going to be very interesting games when they face off Australia and New Zealand.

Lebanon have come a long way since the 2000 World Cup and really have a strong supporter and player base in Australia. As well as a legitimate domestic league.

And I'll be cheering on France, I always want to see them do well, but they never seem to.

I'm not expecting much from England but it'l probably suit them to be underdogs. Australia will rule but let's hope for some great footy on the way.

Oh and how can I forget PNG? Off the back of the Hunters QCUP Premiership and three home World Cup games in Port Morseby.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I'm organising some catch ups including lunch on the day of the Final in Brisbane if anyone is interested.

Well England weren't bad at all, a couple ref decisions cost them. Sam Burgess was a big loss and hopefully he will be back for the sake of the tournament.

The Kangaroos pre-match routine... I think that should be the last time we see it. It was just weird, more like some sort of spoken word performance. It wasn't even a war dance of any description.

Crowd looked good, but I am seeing figures off 22k, that's a disgrace. And I know it's because the rocket scienctists down at RLWC17 made the tickets obscenely expensive.

But back on the positives. I love international footy and can't wait for tomorrow's games.

Even thinking of going to Australia vs Lebanon in Sydney, 11 Nov...

Aussies edge England in Cup opener

http://www.nrl.com

Australia have overcome a gallant England side 18-4 in a tight opening World Cup clash in Melbourne on Friday night.

The Kangaroos scored three tries to one but England showed they were more than capable of matching their old foe.

While the result didn't go England's way their bigger concern will be the fitness of star forward Sam Burgess, who was sidelined in the first half with a knee injury.

The home side set the tone with a bruising opening set in defence but it was the English who scored first, winger Jermaine McGillvary crossing in the corner in the fifth minute from a sweeping England backline movement.

The Kangaroos then dominated possession over the next 10 minutes to force three repeat sets of six but England managed to hold their line.

A couple of unforced errors led to Australia's first try with Matt Gillett scoring in the 22nd minute off a Cameron Smith cut out pass.

Billy Slater scored on the right edge eight minutes later after Sean O'Loughlin conceded a penalty late in the previous set.

England remained in the contest and pressured the Kangaroos' line in the second half, but when Australia were awarded a penalty within striking distance they took the two points through the boot of Smith to extend their advantage to eight.

Josh Dugan's 70-metre run within a minute to go capped off Australia's victory.

Australia 18 (Matt Gillett, Billy Slater, Josh Dugan tries; Cameron Smith 3 goals) defeated England 4 (Jermaine McGillvray try) at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium. Crowd: 22,724. Half-time: 10-4.

How would a team of Gold Coast products go at the league World Cup?
    http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

GOLD Coast may not host a game during the Rugby League World Cup but there is no shortage of links to the region.

An entire squad of 17 could be filled with players competing in the 14-team tournament which concludes in Brisbane on December 2.

Gold Coast players are scattered across eight different nations, a sign that while the city may have missed hosting rights it remains front and centre to Cup calculations.

We’ve opted for David Mead, the Titans’ all-time leading tryscorer, to skipper the side given the flyer will also take charge of PNG’s line-up.

It’s a power-packed backline armed with established NRL talents, with Jarryd Hayne to team with Cowboys star Te Maire Martin in the halves.

Sam Moa and Luke Douglas bookend a pack including Mark Minichiello and Sam Tagataese, while the versatile Matt Russell fills a shortage in the No.9 jumper.

NRL players Eddy Pettybourne, Ben Murdoch-Masila and Ben Nakubuwai add value off the bench.

Now, the big question: how would this side fair at the World Cup?

1. DAVID MEAD (C) (PNG)

Link: Former Titans player

2. JORDAN RAPANA (NZ)

3. KONRAD HURRELL (TON)

Link: Current Titans player

4. BRAD TAKAIRANGI (NZ)

5. NENE MACDONALD (PNG)

6. JARRYD HAYNE (FIJI)

Link: Current Titans player

7. TE MAIRE MARTIN (NZ)

Link: Keebra Park graduate

8. SAM MOA (TON)

9. MATT RUSSELL (SCO)

Link: Former Titans under-20s player

10. LUKE DOUGLAS (SCO)

11. MARK MINICHIELLO (ITA)

12. SAM TAGATAESE (SAM)

13. ISAAC LIU (NZ)

14. EDDY PETTYBOURNE (USA)

15. BEN MURDOCH-MASILA (TON)

16. LUKE PAGE (PNG)

Link: Former Titans under-20s player

17. BEN NAKUBUWAI (FIJI)

Three more World Cup games today!
    Tickets still available but the PNG game is SOLD OUT!
    Telecast details
    New Zealand v Samoa at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, 6.10pm (AEDT)
    Live on 7mate in: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

Meady scores PNG’s first try.

- - - Updated - - -

And their second.

Loving watching the mighty Kumuls. The roar of the home crowd is spine chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Loving watching the mighty Kumuls. The roar of the home crowd is spine chilling.
    They are so exciting to watch & you can see how PNG has grown after the Hunters Winning the Q Cup, well on their way to becoming a World top 4 team

- - - Updated - - -

Meady is a legend again now he's wearing a good jersey
    #itaintweaktospeak

Great win by PNG shame they let that try in after the Fulltime hooter
    #itaintweaktospeak

Really enjoyed watching PNG turn it on. So much more exciting and refreshing than all the boring structure we get drilled into us with NRL.

What's with the ref always blowing time off in NZ vs Saoma game? It seems every time play stops he blows time off. Scrum, time off. Slow play the ball, time off. Talking to the ref, time off.

So, who is pronouncing names incorrectly? The channel 9 commentary team or the channel 7 commentary team?

I guess we get used to hearing them pronounced a specific (ch 9) way, but it sounds pretty weird the way they are saying some of these guys names.

Just bought some tickets for Australia vs Lebanon at the SFS and my PAX was 8,501. For whatever that is worth these days.