Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

I feel that the football department takes too much from the corporate side. Get Brennan worrying about his domain and get Annesley filling every possible seat, sponsorship spot and event possible. Development pathways belong to the football department.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Stuart McAuliffe’s Gold Coast Titans takeover bid under threat over tax lawsuit revelations

Peter Badel, Travis Meyn and Liam Walsh, The Courier-Mail
    15 minutes ago
    Subscriber only

THE battle for the Titans’ NRL licence has taken a dramatic twist following explosive revelations prospective owner Stuart McAuliffe was sued by the Australian Taxation Office for more than $670,000.

D-Day has arrived in the Gold Coast ownership saga, with the rival McAuliffe and Frizelle-Kelly consortiums to go head-to-head in final submissions to NRL bosses at Rugby League Central in Sydney today.

The Courier-Mail can reveal McAuliffe, a Brisbane fund manager who names his companies after famous pirates, will table the richest privatisation bid in NRL history — a $25 million plan to take over the Titans.

But McAuliffe is facing a grilling from NRL powerbrokers over his financial affairs as it emerged the ATO has launched legal action against the 47-year-old twice in the past 18 months.

The latest lawsuit for $176,000 was lodged in Brisbane’s District Court on August 28 after an initial claim of $672,000 last year.

McAuliffe last night said he had settled the first debt and would front NRL bosses today owing an estimated $97,000 to the ATO.

“I’ve paid back the first amount of $672,000 in full,” McAuliffe said.

“With the second one, I’ve paid back $80,000, so we are now disputing the remaining amount, which is around $97,000.

“Given the scale of my companies, it’s a small amount.

“From my point of view, this is a fairly minor dispute.

“I’m comfortable with my position.”

The tax saga comes four months after a second government authority — the Australian Securities and Investments Commission — took aim at investment *company Henry Morgan, where McAuliffe is managing director.

The watchdog suggested the company had given a “misleading” statement to shareholders by saying one of the financial services firms it invested in had a turnover of “$96 million” when others claimed the figure was $10.75 million.

Shares in Henry Morgan have been suspended at $1.99 since June 8 while an independent expert reviews the value of some assets.

McAuliffe dismissed concerns over ASIC’s comments and insisted he would not be a risk for the NRL or the Titans, saying his stable of public companies was worth about $150 million.

“We never had a dispute with ASIC, it has been completely cleared up,” said McAuliffe, whose company, John Bridgeman, is formally bidding for the Titans licence.

“We’ve just had audited results come out for Henry Morgan last week and the auditors agreed with our valuation (of $96 million).

“I have 11 public companies, some listed, some unlisted, so I said to the NRL if you want to do ‘DD’ (due diligence) on me, the best thing is talk to the auditor, who is an independent third party.

“It’s my understanding the NRL did that.”

An NRL spokesman said last night the governing body was conducting detailed checks on bidders to ensure they would be appropriate to own the club.

The sale of the Titans is expected to be announced within the week.

McAuliffe’s rival, former club co-owner Darryl Kelly, is vowing to fight hard to reclaim the Gold Coast licence.

“I believe our proposal is sustainable, good for the community and good for the Titans,” said Kelly, who lost $5 million during his first foray into the Titans in 2012.

“We hope the NRL commissioners trust us as they have for the last three years or so to continue to run the club and progress it as we have done.

“It will continue to lose money for a while until we develop an alternate income stream, which will take us a little while.

“We will have to carry those losses.”

McAuliffe, who has been working on his bid for two years, dismissed suggestions the Titans, who have lost $12 million in the past four seasons, cannot be salvaged in the region.

“I believe the Titans can deliver annual profits of around $2 million to $3 million,” he said.

“Most of the things I have done financially, people have said it was the dumbest idea in the world, but quite frequently I am right.

“I go in when conditions are adverse and in this case conditions are very adverse at the Titans.

“But by the same token it’s at rock bottom, so the Titans are on the way up and I want to help the club succeed.

“If I miss this opportunity, who knows how long it will take to get another NRL licence.”

The ATO sued McAuliffe in May last year in Brisbane’s District Court for $672,214.44.

The alleged debt included almost $327,000 in unpaid income tax and interest between 2008 and 2014, according to court documents.

The remainder related to taxes with business activity statements and penalties.

McAuliffe did not file a defence in the matter.

The taxman was back in August this year with a fresh case against McAuliffe in the same court.

The amount it alleged was owed was $176,927.07, and this included some debts from the original lawsuit. The lawsuit indicated large sums of the earlier debt had been repaid.

McAuliffe has also not filed a defence in this matter.

Source: ntnews.com.au

Sounds like this whole “ GOLD COAST LICENCE “ thing is getting a bit nasty. As i said before “ NEVER A DULL MOMENT , WHEN YOUR A TITANS SUPPORTER “

Right-on ‘68 ... a cynic might say “McCaulliffe is an opportunist looking for a cash-grab a la Searle and while Kelly is worried about missing his chance to get his money back”. Whatever their motivations may be I doubt the NRL can back out. Interesting times indeed.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

If you read between the lines it would appear that Mr McAuliffe's bid slipped under Badel's radar, and he's a bit shirty about it. So Badel's gone digging for some dirt and this what he and his sidekicks come up with.

In regards to the amount owing to the ATO, it's like McAuliffe explained it's bugger all compared to what his companies are worth, and it seems both cases are going through non-contested apart from the 97k they're still squabbling over. It is storm in a tea cup stuff. Most large companies out there would have the odd indiscretion like this at times.

Only thing about it, it's not a good perception in the public's eye and Badel wanted to play on that.

Feel free to judge Badel how you see fit, I got a couple of choice words I'd like to use.
    Last edited by Toads; 09-11-17 at 09:36 AM.

This from The Australian...

Corporate watchdogs on prowl as Gold Coast fund manager bids for Titans
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au
    NICK TABAKOFF BRENT READ

The NRL will today consider handing over its multimillion-dollar Gold Coast Titans franchise to a fund manager whose listed company has been suspended for nearly five months and has been repeatedly challenged by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission in recent months about its valuations.

Gold Coast fund manager Stuart McAuliffe’s Australian Stock Exchange-listed vehicle, Henry Morgan Ltd, has been pulled up several times this year by both ASIC and the ASX.

The corporate regulators have been concerned with a number of issues surrounding Henry Morgan, of which McAuliffe is managing director, including valuations and transactions made by the company. But last night, McAuliffe went public to strongly defend his record, even invoking the name of Apple founder Steve Jobs.

“I have three public companies that are as regulated as you can be — it is the highest standard of regulation in the world,” McAuliffe told The Australian.

“Yet it is like there is something shadowy about them. Well, how? I have audited accounts where your can see the cash on the balance sheets. What more can I do?”

McAuliffe added: “I am not a conventional guy. That could be good or bad but I would say Steve Jobs wasn’t conventional either and that worked out OK.”

He faces his moment of truth today when he fronts the ARL Commission to outline why he should be granted the Titans licence. He is up against another consortium headed by Gold Coast identities Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle, who today will also outline their vision for the club with the commission.

McAuliffe has admitted he is more of an unknown quantity than his rivals. “They know Darryl Kelly, they know Rebecca (Frizelle),” he said. “Now we have this other guy who seems pretty edgy. I would agree with that. I am. I am not a normal run-of-the-mill guy.”

In recent months, numerous questions from corporate regulators asked of McAuliffe’s company, Henry Morgan, have forced him to personally make a lengthy series of public responses that have been published on the ASX announcement platform.

These questions have also led to Henry Morgan’s shares being suspended from trading on the ASX for nearly five months.

ASIC’s active interest in McAuliffe’s company came to a head in the wake of Henry Morgan’s decision to issue a prospectus to raise money from bonus options released in early June.

What followed from ASIC was the imposition of a series of “interim stop orders” — which have effectively prevented the company from launching its bonus options issue — and a “statement of concerns” that saw the company opt to voluntarily suspend its shares from ASX trading on June 19.

That suspension still stands as the company continues to work through its issues with ASIC.

Meanwhile, records show that ASIC subsequently issued a final stop order on the bonus options issue to the company on July 28. In McAuliffe’s own words in a note to the ASX, that meant that “no offers, issues, sales or transfers of options may be made under the Prospectus, while the Final Stop Order is in force”.

Following the issue of the final stop order, McAuliffe admitted in an August “corrective disclosure” to the ASX that ASIC expressed reservations “as regards the company’s calculation of its net tangible assets (NTA)” in a “statement of reasons” about its final stop order. An ASIC spokesman said yesterday that this statement of reasons remained confidential.

But McAuliffe’s August disclosure contained significant clues about its content. In it, McAuliffe said that ASIC was concerned in its statement of reasons about the valuation that Henry Morgan had placed on a subsidiary, JB Financial — which the company describes as a “consolidated financial services and fin tech group”.

The company had made a number of claims about the value of JB Financial. In February this year, McAuliffe released a detailed statement to the market in which it estimated JB Financial’s value to be $83 million, and outlined its intention to launch an initial public offering by July. In an April announcement, JB Financial’s value had risen.

McAuliffe said JB Financial intended to undertake a “$5 million capital raising at a market valuation of $93 million for the purposes of exploring additional acquisition opportunities in the FinTech space”.

But in his August statement, McAuliffe revealed ASIC was worried about valuations being placed on JB Financial: “ASIC is concerned that the value of JB Financial will only be discovered in the event of a successful IPO and/ or sale to a bona fide third-party. ASIC notes that the value, if ever realised, could be very different to that reflected in the NTA announcements.”

In the August ASX announcement, McAuliffe also said that having considered the statement of reasons relating to the stop order, he was making “certain corrective disclosure to statements primarily made in three previous announcements” in December 2016 and May 2017.

The most notable of these corrective disclosures concerned the May 2017 statement submitted under McAuliffe’s name, which again referenced JB Financial: “When established, JB Financial Group had one employee and turned over circa $100,000 annually. Currently, JB Financial Group Ltd has a turnover of approximately $96 million and total staff of 428 employees plus 250 contractors.”

But in the August corrective disclosure, McAuliffe said ASIC had found that “forecast revenues for the businesses of JB Financial were clearly not in the vicinity of $96 million”. He added: “ASIC was of the view that this statement was misleading, as it gave the impression that JB Financial was much larger than in fact it was at the time.”

McAuliffe’s corrective disclosure admitted the $96m figure should never have been included. “The company acknowledges that this reference to a turnover of approximately $96m should not have been included in the announcement of 26 May 2017,” he said. “For clarity, these numbers were derived from the company’s internal projections and assumed acquisitions that were at that point in time not settled. The company accordingly retracts this statement.”

ASIC also queried another announcement made to the market in December last year about JB Financial (then known as JB Broking Ltd), in which it claimed “management has approved an increased rollout of 42 new retail foreign exchange units, including two in Queensland, 20 in NSW and 20 in Victoria. Directors believe this expansion will positively impact earnings, and may require a review of the 2017/2018 management forecast of net profit for JB Broking Ltd … of $5,579,000.”

However, in his August corrective disclosure, McAuliffe said: “ASIC found that the company did not provide documentation to evidence that the board had considered and specifically approved the 42 store rollout as described in this announcement, and that this statement gave a misleading impression as to the size and scale of the relevant operations, and was material.

“Accordingly the company retracts this statement.”

Apart from being managing director of Henry Morgan, McAuliffe is also the managing director of Newcastle Stock Exchange-listed John Bridgeman, and executive chairman of ASX-listed Benjamin Hornigold. The common link between the three companies is that they are all named after pirates.

It has been a meteoric rise for McAuliffe. His profiles on the Henry Morgan and John Bridgeman websites claim that a fund he founded in 2012 has since “averaged 148 per cent average annual return before fees”.

Henry Morgan’s annual report just released also claims a 1600 per cent increase in net profit to $21.1m for the year to June 30.

McAuliffe was adamant the results could be proved: “I said there is no point talking to me, why don’t you talk to KPMG.

“We have got profitable companies. If you go and have a look at the annual reports for all of our companies, the profits were in the tens of millions. That is profit. You have capitalisation of those companies that is set by a market — not by me — so evidently the market thinks there is substantial capital there.

He also dismissed comparisons with Nathan Tinkler’s brief and colourful reign at the Newcastle Knights.

“We have zero debt, which is also interesting when you want to compare it to a Nathan Tinkler,” he said. “If you go to the US every owner (of a sports team) is an interesting guy. The closest to me would be John Henry, who owns the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool. I am similar to him.

“I am a hedge fund guy, I have made money. All that is public. It is not me saying that. I have had KPMG just audit 11 of my companies. What more can I really do? That evidence has been provided to the NRL.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Money not the only issue in deciding club’s future
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au

The two consortiums in the hunt for the Gold Coast licence will make their final pitches to the ARL Commission today.

If money was the only factor, the commission would have a simple decision. They would hand the licence to hedge fund manager Stuart McAuliffe, who is believed to have offered $10 million to secure the Titans.

Sources closes to the negotiations have confirmed the rival bid led by former chair Rebecca Frizelle and exdirector Darryl Kelly hasn’t committed anywhere near as much cash. Money, however, isn’t the only issue at play.

The commission no doubt feels a sense of loyalty to Frizelle and Kelly. Kelly was a former shareholder in the club and lost millions when it folded a few years ago. Frizelle stepped into the breach to steer the club through troubled waters.

McAuliffe on the other hand is an unknown quantity. It leaves the commission with a difficult decision to make.

There is a school of thought that combining the two bids would give the Titans the best of both worlds. McAuliffe’s financial muscle would help secure the club’s future.

Retaining Kelly and Frizelle would ensure the club has the credibility it needs to succeed on the Gold Coast given both have shown their passion and commitment to the cause of rugby league on the tourist strip.

The end result is likely to determine whether the Titans have a future on the Gold Coast.

Should the NRL get it wrong and the club again find itself in the financial mire, it is hard to envisage the game coming to its aide.

The more likely scenario is that the Titans would be packed up and moved to Brisbane, where the NRL would have no shortage of suitors.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 09-11-17 at 11:35 AM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans ownership bidder Stuart McAuliffe says he is committed to the club’s long-term future
    PETER BADEL and TRAVIS MEYN,
    The Courier-Mail
    14 minutes ago

PROSPECTIVE Titans owner Stuart McAuliffe has assured the NRL he is committed to the club’s long-term future, saying he will never sell if he formally clinches the Gold Coast licence.

The sale of the Titans is imminent after McAuliffe and the rival Kelly-Frizelle bid completed their final submissions after fronting NRL hierarchy at Rugby League headquarters in Sydney last night.

McAuliffe’s $25 million bid to buy the Titans was rocked on Wednesday by The Courier-Mail’s exclusive revelations that the Brisbane-based fund manager has faced two lawsuits from the Australian Taxation Office.

One of his companies is also currently being scrutinised by the Australian Stock Exchange and Australian Securities and Investments Commission.

NRL bosses will take no risks with the Gold Coast licence, mindful of the financial debacle that forced the governing body to rescue the Titans two years ago after former owners racked up a $25 million debt.

McAuliffe has no background in rugby league, but insists he would never walk away from the Titans and is prepared to sign a long-term contract of commitment with NRL hierarchy.

“I will be with the Titans permanently. If I get the licence, I would never sell the club,” he said.

“I’m not saying that lightly — I’m happy to sign a contract on that. I would have no issue signing a deal with the NRL saying I would never get rid of the Titans.

“I am committed to this. If you go through my companies’ accounts, we have the cash to sustain the Titans for the long haul.”

McAuliffe hit back at critics questioning his motives to the buy the club, saying his reasons for bidding for the Titans licence are multifaceted, with his belief the NRL is on the cusp of a boom.

“The NRL will go the same way as the NFL in terms of profile and income,” he said.

“Twenty years ago, the Dallas Cowboys were sold for $80 million and they are now worth $6-7 billion.

“I see the NRL at a turnaround point and for me, to get into buying an NRL club, there is one club up for sale right now — the Gold Coast Titans.

“I also have a group of businesses with global reach, so the Titans can help in that regard from a promotional standpoint.

“People talk about passion in rugby league but if you are going to run a rugby league club, you have to run it on commercial terms. Passion alone won’t help you ... it’s 2017, not 1960.”

He also revealed plans to crush AFL’s Gold Coast Suns.

“The AFL is not a genuine threat to rugby league on the Gold Coast,” he said. “Publicly, it’s clear how much money the Suns have lost on the Gold Coast and eventually the AFL will get tired of that.”

Frizelle, the former Titans chairwoman, outlined her and Kelly’s long-term strategy to ensure the Titans prosper on the Gold Coast.

“Our motivation for investing in the Titans is genuine and is for all the right reasons,” she said.

“We will ensure that we have a successful National Rugby League club on the Coast as we understand the impact and contribution that sport makes to the wider community, starting at the grassroots level which has the benefit of over 6000 juniors in our region.

“It is our intention to see the Gold Coast Titans become a membership/community-owned model once the financials allow for this change in ownership structure.

“Ourselves and the Kelly family are here for the long term.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...0a610f0e8bb13e
    Psmitty

Well after reading all the articles above I'm stuffed if I know.
    I have the loyalty factor with the Kelly bid but I'm not sure that they are aiming high enough and whether they will really put the amount of money in that the club needs. Frankly I'm sick of just surviving, we need stacks of money spent on off field stuff. It's great to be looking after the grass roots but frankly winning NRL premierships is what it is all about and that costs money, of which much is repaid in future crowds, sponsorships etc.

The big brash talk of the other bid sends shivers down my spine as I think not another high flying Gold Coast/South Qld businessman big mouthing again. It's hard not get excited about some of what he says about global contacts and it seems he would tip much more money in. If he thinks the AFL will pull out of the Coast, he is very naïve. The comments about not selling the club mean nothing as he could just run it into the ground until the NRL stripped his licence like soccer did with Tinkler. As for the NRL going the same way as the NFL - anyone remember Super League and Ribot expecting the game to be household in China.

Against all that, I think we should just take him at face value. Then I think of the Tax Office stuff.

I'm glad I'm not making the call but one thing for certain is that the NRL cannot get it wrong.

Inactive User

^^^ the money man now that he has opened his mouth is sounding far too much like Searle and Palmer to me. Big Fat NO for mine. Sending my love out there to Sir Daryl and the great Ms Frizelle

McAuliffe playing for keeps with Titans bid
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

PROSPECTIVE Titans owner Stuart McAuliffe has assured the NRL he is committed to the club’s long-term future, saying he will never sell if he formally clinches the Gold Coast licence.

The sale of the Titans is imminent after McAuliffe and the rival Kelly-Frizelle bid completed their final submissions after fronting NRL hierarchy at Rugby League headquarters in Sydney last night. McAuliffe’s $25 million bid to buy the Titans was rocked yesterday by revelations that the Brisbane-based fund manager has faced two lawsuits from the Australian Taxation Office.

One of his companies is also being scrutinised by the Australian Stock Exchange and Australian Securities and Investments Commission.

NRL bosses will take no risks with the Gold Coast licence, mindful of the financial debacle that forced the governing body to rescue the Titans two years ago after the former owners racked up a $25 million debt.

McAuliffe has no background in rugby league, but insists he would never walk away from the Titans.

He is prepared to sign a long-term contract of commitment with NRL hierarchy.

“If I get the licence, I would never sell the club,” he said.

“I’m not saying that lightly – I’m happy to sign a contract on that.”

Rebecca Frizelle, the former Titans chairwoman, last night outlined her and former club co-owner Darryl Kelly’s longterm strategy to ensure the Titans prosper on the Coast.

“Our motivation for investing in the Titans is genuine and is for all the right reasons,” Frizelle said.

“Ourselves and the Kelly family are here for the long term.”

Titans call with ARLC
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

THE future of the Gold Coast Titans is now in the hands of the Australian Rugby League Commission, with the two remaining contenders making their final submissions yesterday.

Former chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle and club saviour Darryl Kelly are in contention against Bond University lecturer Stuart McAuliffe.

Mr McAuliffe, who runs 31 companies, many named after pirates, agreed on Tuesday to answer questions from the Bulletin and provide further insight into his plans for the team if his bid was successful, and his motivation for wanting it, however he has not replied since. He has previously said he planned to inject funding into the club and the wider community to boost the code in the city.

Inactive User

It be good if McAuliffe/Kelly/Frizelle could get together and have a long lunch at a Chinese Restaurant and have a discussion

McAuliffe sees us as a potential money making proposition.
    Kelly-Frizelle see us as a community club.

As much as I'd love a money tree we've all seen this type of ownership fail enough times.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    It be good if McAuliffe/Kelly/Frizelle could get together and have a long lunch at a Chinese Restaurant and have a discussion
    im with you Bods. Both bids seem to have the strength to the others weakness. Would be amazing if they could combine their bids but I cant ever see it happening