Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

I'm delighted we have such a man interested in taking on the club. Thanks for the info indoallstars
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Gold Coast funds manager Stuart McAuliffe the mystery man behind Gold Coast Titans bid
    Gold Coast Bulletin
    November 6, 2017 11:49am
    Subscriber only
    A FORMER Bond University finance professor has been revealed as the man behind an out-of-left-field bid to secure the Titans’ licence.

Gold Coast fund manager Stuart McAuliffe has been working with the NRL in piecing together a bid to take over the cash-strapped Titans, according to a report in today’s national newspaper, The Australian, and insists the rugby league club can be turned into a profitable entity.

Stuart McAuliffe
    Mr McAuliffe is managing director of investment management company John Bridgeman. The revelations show his bid is one of what is believed to be just two remaining for the licence, with the other contender being a group involving former Titans directors Rebecca Frizelle and Darryl Kelly.

The Australian reports that McAuliffe confirmed the bid had been in planning for two years.

Stuart McAuliffe
    Up to six consortiums had shown an interest, but that number is now believed to be two following reports English billionaire Marwan Koukash and the consortium backed by private equiteer Peter Wiggs, which had the support of the North Sydney Bears, have dropped out.

The Titans meanwhile remain without a major sponsor and are also dealing with controversy surrounding star player Jarryd Hayne, who is reported to be considering a return to Sydney next season. Hayne has a year remaining on his Gold Coast contract and would need a release.https://twitter.com/gcbulletin/statu...77502460358657
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I'm delighted we have such a man interested in taking on the club. Thanks for the info indoallstars
    No worries Diehard.

If anyone is up for an interesting read behind his financial mindset, read below - If you don't like finance it will probably bore you to death.

Stuart actually enjoys taking on risk unlike most funds managers, all of his business ventures are high risk high reward.

At least another local who has a bit of faith in the Titans.

Pirates ahoy as fund manager takes aim at ASX

"Barbarians at the Gate" may have been a one-time popular description of New York's Wall Street, but if one local investor gets his way, Australian markets will be populated increasingly by pirates.

Benjamin Hornigold, John Bridgeman and Henry Morgan are the names of famous pirates and local investment funds.

John Bridgeman and Henry Morgan are already listed – on the National and Australian stock exchanges respectively – while Benjamin Hornigold is in the final stages of completing a small sharemarket float, raising an initial $20 million.

The funds' namesakes were mostly active in the Atlantic, although Bridgeman, an alias for John Avery, was also engaged for a time in the Indian Ocean, where he achieved notoriety for carrying out one of the most successful heists of the era, seizing booty from an Indian fleet.

The common link for all three investment vehicles is fund manager Stuart McAuliffe, an associate professor at Bond University.

"Pirates are very mobile and very flexible in decision-making," McAuliffe said. "And have a very democratic system: if the leader is unpopular, he is voted out and goes back to join the rest of the sailors.

"And the whole focus is on profit."

Benjamin Hornigold is intended to be a "high conviction" investment vehicle, focusing on "five to 10 key trading ideas", he said, while Henry Morgan is focused on as many as 20-25 key ideas, carrying with it less risk.

John Bridgeman, which is listed on the NSX, is the management company for the group. McAuliffe wants to shift its listing to the ASX at some stage.

You could be forgiven for thinking he is obsessed with pirates – and you'd be wrong.

"My fixation is actually military strategy," he said, having studied the military campaigns of Julius Caesar, Napoleon and General George Patton, crediting this interest for his approach to investment markets.

"As investors, as you're looking for a bigger piece of the pie, speed is essential. Pirates were opportunists."

McAuliffe and his listed vehicles have enjoyed outsized returns over the past year, with several months spent in Britain ahead of the 'Brexit' vote last year to quit the European Union convincing him of the outcome, with the same approach also seeing him call the US presidential outcome last year, with the success of Donald Trump.

Now, he is convinced that Emmanuel Macron will win the French presidential elections, the technocrat who has never stood for public office, despite the relative showing of Marine le Pen, the head of the National Front.

"I'm very keen on Europe," McAuliffe said. "The Europe economy is doing well this year. Stocks there could rally as much as 30 per cent going into the end of the year.

"In France, Macron will win [the presidential elections] and the market will react strongly to that – maybe not immediately but over the following few months. Europe is the real wild card."

The first round vote gets under way in France this weekend, with the run-off vote in early May.

McAuliffe is not afraid to switch his investment focus, concentrating on equities then, as markets shifts, changing to favour foreign exchange markets, if that is where he can see outsized returns.

"I was focused on the opportunity of that time," he said of his shifting focus as he eyes prospects to profit across the realm of investment markets locally and abroad.

That free-ranging scope saw him snap up a 6 per cent shareholding in Hunter Hall International this year, when the founder Peter Hall sold out to Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Co, with McAuliffe optimistic of the outlook for this fund manager which is yet to finalise a planned merger with another fund manager, Pengana Capital.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/marke...13-gvkgtp.html

Junior

I know that Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle mean well and the members and fans would never forget what they have done for this club over the years but wasn’t it under their watch that we went into administration and were a cats hair from being another failed GC franchise until we were bailed out??

I think a new direction is what this club needs, I know nothing of Stuart McAuliffe but as they say if you keep going back and doing the same thing you get the same result.

Nothing at all against the McAuliffe bid but I hope if Darryl Kelly is not successful he is treated with the respect he deserves. Every Titans supporter owes this bloke a huge amount of gratitude for what he has done for the club. Without him we may not even have had a club for sale.

Rep Player

Maybe a completely new start is what we need. This guy seems to tick all the boxes. Either way lets get it done and get cracking on our roster and a major sponsor!

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Nothing at all against the McAuliffe bid but I hope if Darryl Kelly is not successful he is treated with the respect he deserves. Every Titans supporter owes this bloke a huge amount of gratitude for what he has done for the club. Without him we may not even have had a club for sale.
    I am with you mexican.

I admire stuarts out of the box ideas, how smart he is as a businessman, and i actually credit him for empowering me through uni which most lecturers couldnt do.

However i do believe that darryl kelly and frizelle deserve to be the owners of the club. Darryl kelly has stuck with the titans through thick and thin, and absolutely loves the club.

I used to work as a corporate event day staff at cbus, and darryl would always come up and have a chat with all the staff, and he even wanted to know who i thought the most exciting and favourite titans player was.... it was albert kelly back then. But he always had class, and is the right type of person to drive culture through the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Absolutely, I doubt any genuine fan could deny what Darryl Kelly has done for us. I'm sure he'll be held in high regard by many whatever the outcome may be for many years to come.

Just whoever gets in. I hope they start holding people accountable, and patch up and areas that are leaking money. As there's no point throwing millions at the Club without addressing these issues. Otherwise we'll eventually face dire times yet again.

I agree that Darryl Kelly, no matter the outcome will always be hoisted high in the esteem of our supporter base.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Pirate fanatic puts hook into Titans
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

IN her shared quest with Darryl Kelly to buy the Gold Coast Titans, former chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle is up against a swashbuckling investor with a penchant for historical war strategists and ruthless plunderers of the high seas.

Stuart McAuliffe is managing director of investment management company John Bridgeman – which has been unmasked as the remaining competitor for the Titans NRL licence, which has been in the hands of the governing body since it was bailed out in 2015.

Mr McAuliffe is director and major shareholder of two other listed investment companies – Henry Morgan and Benjamin Hornigold.

The companies are among at least 19 directed by Mr McAuliffe which have names derived from notorious pirates.

The words “Aut pax aut bellum” – Latin for “either peace or war” – are emblazoned on the front page of Henry Morgan Limited’s annual report.

Inside, the report details a revenue increase of 1493 per cent from $2.6 million to $41.1 million and a net profit increase of 1604 per cent from $1.2 million to $21.1 million.

But 11 years ago, Mr McAuliffe was managing The Myer Centre carpark, posing for a photographer for a story about a Brisbane train driver strike.

Since then he has risen quickly to be an associate professor of Bond University, where he has taught finance since 2007 and remains listed as a faculty member. He is currently director of 31 companies.

His address as registered on company records, in a quiet street on the Brisbane River in the suburb of Chelmer, is in his father John’s name.

Mr McAuliffe did not reply to a request for comment yesterday but told The Australian if successful in his bid he intended “to crush the AFL in the region”.

He has previously told the Bulletin of his fascination with the military strategies of Julius Caesar, Napoleon and General George Patton and credits Alexander the Great and Roman general Julius Caesar, as his historical heroes.

“They were innovative, they went in and did things differently,” he told the Bulletin in 2015.

“They were concerned not just with winning but with a tactical retreat; in finance it is all about maximising your wins and minimising your losses.”

There has been no tactical retreat in Mr McAuliffe’s two years of bidding for the Titans, rather the promise of huge investments in management skills and community engagement.

He expressed a desire to retain CEO Graham Annesley if he was successful in buying the club, which he described as “an opportunity to bring professional management and high-level financial, technology and marketing skills to an organisation that was undervalued and had significant growth opportunities”

Ms Frizelle, is unlikely to walk the plank willingly. She came out firing yesterday saying a return to communitybased ownership was the only sustainable way forward for the Titans.

“Simply throwing more money at the club won’t guarantee success and is not financially sustainable,” she said.

“The bid that we have submitted to the NRL is that one stands up to any scrutiny. Our commitment to the club and the community of the Gold Coast extends well beyond budgets and spreadsheets.”

Go Bec go!!
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Go Bec go!!
    I think I agree. I'm not a great risk taker so I think the Kelly group is more steady. That comment about crushing AFL really worries me as being just dumb and alienating people. I would love us to beat up AFL a bit but that isn't going to happen with the money that the AFL administration throw at the Suns. That really is the sort of comment you associate with a Clive Palmer or Tinkler.

More importantly, whoever is successful they need to be prepared to spend heaps on the supporting functions around the footy team such as marketing, game day expenditure, a half decent ground announcer etc. I read something recently where someone was impressed in just how the Titans had cut costs - that is bloody obvious in many things the Titans do, or don't do more's the point.

Yeah. Darryl and Bec's angle seems a more sturdy approach. High risk takers can be innovators and get things done, but when something goes south on them, they tend to cut & run just as quick.

Interesting times ahead, regardless of the outcome.

I would think that the decision may be made by the end of the week. As far as a buyer I would be happy with both sets of buyers however it’s better the devil you know so the KelBec bid may seem comfortable although they forecast losses for the first two years so for mine that is a concern.

As for Stuart I’m confident that he is cashed up and can ride out the next few years. However his exposure is in the funds management and these funds can loose a lot of money and could leave him exposed. Anyhow interesting times ahead and as lonegull said maybe these guys can sit down and break bread and do a deal together.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I agree with his sentiments on AFL but it's probably not useful to air them.

Many of the allegations leveled at the Titans are leveled at the city as a whole and it's entire sporting complement.

So we need a TeamGC mindset to break through. That's my view.