Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

I'm going to start making a list of all these doubters. I'm fired up to prove them all wrong.

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

He's just a knob that used our situation as a soapbox to spruik he's own BS. Thanks to Badel.

Inactive User

NEWSFLASH: owning an NRL team is not a good business decision if you are wanting to make money. Genius reporting by Badel-Walkley award winning stuff.

The mystery bidder for the Gold Coast Titans tells @aus_sport tomorrow about their big plans for the club and why they can make it work

https://twitter.com/brentread_7/stat...05737595043840
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

The ‘mystery’ bid’s story is in today’s Australian. I don’t subscribe but maybe somebody does.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

The Gold Coast fund manager *attempting to secure the Titans’ *licence has pledged to dramatically increase investment in the *region and make it his mission to crush the AFL on the tourist strip through sheer weight of money and community engagement.

The Australian can reveal that Stuart McAuliffe — managing *director of investment management company John Bridgeman — has been working with the NRL for two years on piecing together a bid to take over the cash-strapped *Titans.

It is understood he is now locked in a head-to-head race with former directors Rebecca Frizelle and Darryl Kelly for the licence, which has been in the hands of the governing body since it was saved from collapse in 2015. The NRL is expected to make a decision on who takes over the licence in *coming weeks, having already asked the interested parties to make their final bids.

McAuliffe is believed to have pledged significant funds to invest in the region and said he planned to retain the club’s existing *management — including chief executive Graham Annesley — if he ultimately held sway.

“We’ll augment management skills and experience and provide financial stability and capital to grow the organisation and brand,” said McAuliffe, a former professor in finance at Bond University.

“The Gold Coast is a rugby league heartland so we intend to crush the AFL in the region. They’ll need to put up a lot of funding to even try to compete with us.

“Our emphasis is on local talent and community engagement and a lot of funding is heading that way. So if you are playing rugby league on the Gold Coast your* *opportunities and funding have just dramatically increased.”

While reluctant to comment extensively on his bid, McAuliffe did confirm it would in large part be personally financed, with his listed company also taking an ownership stake.

It is understood aside from a cash offer to the NRL, the bid also involves substantial capital injection on the coast as well as *additional funds for management and community programs.

McAuliffe did confirm the bid had been in the works for two years, when the NRL first became involved with the ownership and management of the club.

He praised the work of NRL chief financial officer Tony Crawford, who has been largely responsible for running the sale process, as well as the club’s existing management and freshly minted coach Garth Brennan.

“Tony and his team have done an amazing job, firstly to stabilise the club and then to close the gap between loss and break even,” McAuliffe said.

“Graham Annesley has been very impressive, especially *considering the many challenges he has faced down with limited *resources.

“We would seek to retain *Graham as I have a lot of respect for his experience and cool-headed attitude — resilience and *tenacity impress me.”

Up to six consortiums initially expressed an interest in the Titans but that number has been whittled down to two now the sale process has reached the pointy end.

Among those to have fallen by the wayside are English billionaire Marwan Koukash and the consortium backed by private equiteer Peter Wiggs, which had the support of the North Sydney Bears. To the devastation of long-suffering Bears supporters, their hopes of *revival appear gone.

That leaves McAuliffe and the Frizelle-Kelly consortium left as the NRL looks for someone committed to reinvigorating rugby league on the Gold Coast. Whoever eventually ends up with the *licence will enjoy unprecedented financial backing from the NRL thanks to the new grants, which begin on November 1 and mean every club will now receive more than $12 million a season.

However, there are notable challenges as well. The Titans are without a major sponsor for next season while the club must also decide what to do with Jarryd Hayne, whose future was thrown into turmoil last week when it emerged he could look to return to Sydney next season. Hayne’s former club Parramatta appears as his most likely destination, although he has a year remaining on his contract and would need a release from the *Titans to play with another club in the NRL.

McAuliffe, who has named his investment funds after famous pirates and has previously spoken of his admiration for Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great because they were innovative leaders, insisted the Titans could be turned into a profitable entity despite a *recent history of bleeding money.

“We saw this as an opportunity to bring professional management and high-level financial, technology and marketing skills to an organisation that was undervalued and had significant growth opportunities,“ McAuliffe said. “Actually, the financial numbers have improved dramatically and we think we can take that further. I think the economic fundamentals of football are misunderstood and it’s just part of the process of sports in Australia becoming truly professional.”

Thanks WD, now there’s some interesting breakfast reading. Kept a secret for two years must be some kind of rugby league record.

Well, he's singing the right tune in regards to his vision to what needs to happen with the Club, as well as community input.

His financial background is the big tick for me. To see us financially sustainable has always been at the forefront of what I want I've wanted from our Club, marginally ahead of results on the paddock.

In fact, with what's mentioned in the article above, Mr McAuliffe might be selling himself a bit short. Considering how the NRL has squandered all their funds, it would appear that they could do with his help more so than what he can offer the Titans.

If all rings true from the above article. I'm happy for him to be in contention for our Franchise.

Is their anymore you can divulge without giving too much away about his connection with the Coast and Rugby League in general, Titanic?

Easy solution here, as it seems the two interested parties that are left have the same vision maybe the two should talk about looking at merging and forming one bid.

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Easy solution here, as it seems the two interested parties that are left have the same vision maybe the two should talk about looking at merging and forming one bid.
    Not a bad idea but usually people in these positions want to be "the" boss and not have to answer to others. Usually I have also found that you need one boss, not a number.
    A very interesting article and I find myself fence sitting between the loyalty I have to Darryl Kelly and this new bloke who is cashed up.
    One thing I hate reading is comments like crushing AFL. That is just stupid big mouth talk and reminds me of people like Palmer/Koukash etc. I trust that arrogant comment is one in isolation. I think the Coast needs both sports to survive at top level, not one trying to trash talk the other, even though the NRL has been my sport all my life.

I’m an interested observer in this. My connection is through one of our highest profile establishment players. He was in but is now out although I think he would probably reverse that. My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that on one hand the Kelly Gang carry a lot of the old baggage even though they are seemingly well-intentioned whilst these guys are likely to be coldly efficient. I think in the end it boils down to who has the deepest pockets.

McCauliffe is a Queenslander. He schooled at Terrace and QUT in Brissie. Professor at Bond 2007-2014. Has consulted in finance outside of academia extensively. Don’t know his motivation but seems on song.

Very exciting news and he obviously has a lot of passion and love for the game.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Stuart actually used to be my lecturer for many of my subjects when i went through my property economics degree at Bond University.

He is a seriously sharp, switched on bloke, who also thinks outside of the box. Stuart has the normal financial background of most funds managers, but he now has a focus of behavioural economics and has launched 3 companies on public exchanges (John Bridgeman, Henry Morgan and Benjamin Hornigold).

I can tell you he is a very approachable person, is a gold coast resident and titans fan, and loves his league.

I would just like a decision please so we can get on with trying to salvage 2018 before pre-season starts
    #itaintweaktospeak

Inactive User

Well I’m now 100% behind whoever wins the Poisoned Chalice. This new bid sounds great.