Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Rebecca will be forever be known as our no1 Women in League

“The Greatest for All”
    #itaintweaktospeak

Community spirit keeps Frizelle invested despite titanic struggles
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/19/...nic-struggles/

Why would a successful businesswoman in one of the boom economic areas of Australia – Queensland's Gold Coast – want to get involved with rugby league?

Especially when previous entities like the Giants, Seagulls and Chargers had fallen flat.

It's a no-brainer if you ask the Gold Coast Titans' former chair and current co-owner Rebecca Frizelle.

"Sport is an incredibly important pillar that underpins communities across our country," Frizelle told NRL.com.

"The Gold Coast and northern NSW areas are rugby league heartland and we're committed to the continued growth of not just 'grass roots' sport for our kids, but providing a pathway through to the professional level.

"The importance of sport shouldn’t be underestimated – rugby league has the power and ability to unite entire communities," she said.

"The Titans have been the pride of our city and we are working incredibly hard to deliver on that city pride consistently."

Frizelle is chief operating officer for Frizelle Sunshine Automotive and the privately owned car dealership was one of the club's first sponsors, joining in 2006 ahead of the Titans' foundation season in 2007.

In the past 13 years there have been two wooden spoons and only three finals appearances.

There have been financial woes, drug cases, coaches sacked, players moved on, and reputations damaged.

But through it all Frizelle has been one of the constants. And she says the rewards aren't always measured in results – although she admits she can't wait for the Titans to be in the NRL finals again.

"There have been many times that I gave myself a stern talking to and asked myself 'Why?'," she said.

"Absolutely, like any business that involves risk, there have been many ups and downs. For all the downsides, there are many wonderful highlights to celebrate that don’t always take place on the field.

"Our investment in junior rugby league, our support of the women’s school competition under the Karen Murphy Cup, our development of the Titans physical disability team, and our ongoing commitment to indigenous education alongside our club legend Preston Campbell with the Deadly Choices organisation, are just some of the highlights that happen off the field.

"Sorry for getting excited, but these initiatives are so rewarding!" Frizelle said.

"Rugby league, for all its trials and tribulations, is an incredible game where everyone is welcome."

Seeing first-hand how a football club and its stars can change lives is why Frizelle has no intention of letting go, and why in Harvey Norman's Women in League week she would recommend any woman get involved with the sport.

"We all have different skill sets and perspectives that can add value, irrespective of gender, age or race," she said.

"There are so many ways to become a part of rugby league but you need to work out how you want to get involved and where your ability could best be utilised.

"Is it via professional contributions in terms of your expertise? Is it a career in professional sport? Are you looking to contribute at a grassroots level? Or maybe you just want to get involved any way you can," Frizelle said.

"My recommendation in the first instance would be to touch base with your local rugby league club who will provide advice and point you in the right direction.

"The Titans, and more broadly the game, is full of passionate and hardworking people. The rewards and personal satisfaction are significant – you don’t have to win all the time to know that you are winning in the long run.

"It truly is not just the greatest game of all but the greatest game FOR all and the reality is, we are changing people's lives for the better every day."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Rebecca and Daryl are the best.

Frizelle steps into new role
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

REBECCA Frizelle, titan of the automotive industry and a driving force behind one of the Gold Coast’s most successful businesses, is exiting her role.

On Friday, Ms Frizelle will step down as chief operating officer of Frizelle Automotive Prestige, changing lanes to work in a non-executive position with the board of Peter Warren Automotive, the parent company of Frizelle Sunshine – one of the biggest private dealerships in the country.

While her decision is fuelled by the desire to spend more time with family and in her other roles – including as co-owner of the Gold Coast Titans NRL team and positions on the boards of Sunland Development, Life Flight Australia, Paralympics Australia and Griffith University – it also comes as the automotive group gears up for further growth.

Frizelle Sunshine, as part of Peter Warren Automotive, is considering a public float that is expected to be valued up to $1bn, making it Australia’s third listed car group.

PWA is the merger made in 2017 of nine Peter Warren dealerships in Sydney and Queensland and 11 sites of James Frizelle’s Automotive Group in Queensland together under the umbrella of equity capital investor Quadrant Private Equity. A roadshow is under way for investors to outline the proposal, with a view to listing the company around the middle of this year. Ms Frizelle said PWA shareholders, including herself, were considering additional sources of capital for growth, but that “no formal decision has been made regarding any potential IPO”.

Meanwhile, she said the change in her role would allow her to concentrate more on the future of the business.

She said she was looking forward to the growth and expansion opportunities and the potential to further diversify their automotive footprint.

“It’s going to be a big change, but I’ll still be very committed to the ongoing success of the business. I’ll just be operating in a different capacity – I’ll be focusing on the longer term, big picture rather than the day-to-day operations,” Ms Frizelle said.

“We have a wonderful business with highly experienced, very capable people and we enjoy a strong partnership with our chairman, Paul Warren.

“The change in my role will give me an opportunity to explore new options not just for the company but myself as well. I’m looking forward to less time in the office and more time with family and friends – and finding a new work/life balance.”

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

It is no coincidence that in these times of shrinking economic demographics that PWA and the Titans are aligned with this incredible person ... truly a Titan in all senses of the word.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

what titanic said

Agree what Titanic said.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Sacrifice keeps Gold Coast Titans’ premiership dream alive

If not for a quartet of Gold Coast saviours, the Titans may have crumbled like the region’s previous teams. Now they’re eyeing an elusive title.

Travis Meyn

Titans saviour Darryl Kelly believes the club has purged “selfish and negative” influences after pledging $35 million to deliver the Gold Coast an NRL premiership.

The Titans will kick-off their 2021 campaign full of optimism when they face the New Zealand Warriors at Central Coast Stadium on Saturday.

There is a genuine buzz on the Glitter Strip about what could transpire for the Titans this season after the NRL’s traditional battlers ended 2020 on a five-game winning streak to finish ninth.

The Titans have only played one finals game (2016) in the past decade, collecting two wooden spoons (2011 and 2019) in that time as they fought for survival and relevance.

If not for Kelly and wife Joanne, along with prominent Gold Coast figures Rebecca and Brett Frizelle, the Titans may have crumbled like the region’s previous teams the Seagulls, Giants and Chargers.

It has taken a tremendous personal sacrifice from the Kelly’s to keep the Titans alive.

They lost $5 million after initially saving the Titans in 2012, only for the club to be taken over by the NRL in 2015 as crippling debts proved impossible to sustain.

The Kelly’s and Frizelle’s bought the club back from the NRL in 2017, for an undisclosed fee, but the failed appointment of coach Garth Brennan lead to a second wooden spoon in 2019.

With Immortal Mal Meninga on board, the promise shown by coach Justin Holbrook and star signings in David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, the Titans are now considered to be a genuine finals contender.

Hailing from Wagga Wagga in country NSW, Kelly built up his personal wealth from driving gravel trucks to property investment.

At 70 and with a heart condition, Kelly admits time is running out for the Titans to become a success in his lifetime but he is confident the building blocks are in place.

He has been known to make comments at Titans board meetings about how much time he has left and Kelly says he is determined to see the Gold Coast succeed.

“They’re not jokes – I keep pushing it,” he said.

“My number plate on my car is ‘NOW248’ and everyone asks me why. It’s because time is running out and I’m in a hurry. Two, four, eight is geometric (progression) and I want it now, not tomorrow.

“I keep pushing very hard. I’m very focused on winning a premiership, I can assure you.

“There is genuine belief out there. Every time there is a glimmer of hope for the Titans, the population of the Gold Coast gets behind you and wants you to win. There’s a huge will to be successful.

“We are a very diverse area of people. It’s a long spread between Logan and Ballina. Having something like that to unite so many people…they’re looking for that.

“We do a lot of good things off the paddock and have done for a long time, but it’s time to perform on the paddock and become the club we can be.”

It is hard to tell whether Kelly is stubborn or driven. Or both.

Over summer he entered a challenge with Titans ambassador Gorden Tallis to see who could walk the most kilometres in a month.

With two knee replacements, Kelly notched up 20km a day, sweating it out under the searing Gold Coast sun. Worried about his health, Joanne made him take his mobile phone in case he collapsed.

Tallis, 47, was a distant loser at the end of the challenge.

Kelly could have easily walked away from the Titans in 2015 and licked his wounds after watching $5 million disappear in a cloud of controversy and scandal.

Instead, he dug his heels in and dipped deeper into his pockets.

“I definitely could have got out, but in my heart of hearts I have always believed rugby league plays an important part in the community,” Kelly said.

“That’s not only here. In my days at Wagga I spent 10 years rebuilding grounds so rugby league could survive.

“Sport is an important cultural piece and rugby league is my sport. I love seeing the reaction of people when we win. It’s a great feeling.”

In 2019, Kelly pledged a $25 million loan to finance a Titans Leagues Club in Oxenford which would not be repaid in his lifetime.

It was supposed to open this month, but two years on it has still not passed approval stages, let alone started construction.

Kelly was ready to put up the white flag before a meeting with the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation last week gave him renewed hope.

“It has been a long process, we were supposed to be open this month,” he said.

“I was pessimistic until we had a meeting last week with the OLGR. I think we can overcome the issues.

“Whether we proceed with it will still depend on revisiting the economics of it. COVID will have an impact. We need to know what the club environment will look like.

“It was a $25 million investment and I don’t know how much it will be now. You don’t invest that sort of money unless you’re confident it can pay its way.

“The football club doesn’t need it like we did when the Frizelles and Kellys took over the Titans. We have turned things around internally to not need it.

“But I see it as adding another dimension to the community aspect of our involvement in the Gold Coast.”

RAISING THE TITANIC

The reasons for the Titans’ on-field struggles over the past decade vary.

They made the NRL preliminary finals in 2010 before crashing to a wooden spoon the following year as controversy engulfed the club’s headquarters in Robina.

The Titans have endured drugs scandals, salary cap rorts and monumental financial issues throughout a decade of drama.

Holbrook is the fourth coach in their 15-year history and it is hard to find someone with a bad word to say about the 2019 Super League title-winner.

Kelly believes the Titans have found the right coach, as evidenced by a contract extension issued last year until 2024, and weeded out the bad influences.

“He seems to be so measured,” Kelly said.

“The players respect him. When he talks they listen. They do what he wants them to do. He wants them to enjoy their football.

“There were a lot of negative influences in the club in the past and he has turned that around at the player level.

“I think they’re an excellent group of young men as a whole. The influences of the leadership group are a lot better than what they have been in the past.

“There is a feeling within the group that it’s about the team, not the individual. There were some selfish individuals in our club previously.

“At the moment we’ve got a damn good group of people who want to be there for the right reasons.

“The number one question we ask now is ‘do you want to play for the Gold Coast or come up here and have a nice lifestyle?’

“We want players who want to play for the Gold Coast and represent the area.”

I WILL NOT QUIT

As we sit in a Surfers Paradise cafe on the day the NRL season begins, a local walks past wearing a South Sydney Rabbitohs polo.

“The Titans are my second team this year,” he says to Kelly with a smile.

It signifies a change in attitude towards the Titans following years of disappointment with the local club.

It could take a generation for the Titans to garner a loyal band of supporters and Kelly’s hope is for the club to transfer to a community-based ownership model in that time.

Either way, he is here for the long-haul.

“Go and ask my cardiologist,” Kelly said when asked how much longer he will be around.

“Not alive — at the Titans,” I clarify.

“I’m not disappearing in any hurry,” he said.

“It’s one of the two things I’m still heavily involved in (also chairman of Major Events Gold Coast). My life and investments have been simplified elsewhere. I’m trying semi-retirement for the third time.

"I tried to retire at 50-something and it didn’t work. Then I came up here and got involved with the Titans.

“That was good for my heart.”

We owe so much to this legend as well as the Frizelles.

The White Knight needs a statue outside of our fortress. He is the heart and soul of our club, the reason we still exist and never give up attitude. Hope one day he truly gets the thanks he deserves.

How humble and aristocratic is Director Kelly compared to the corporate nightmare that’s the ‘Ponies or the overweight actor leading the aptly called Bunnies, to name just a few. We are fortunate indeed to have him.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

What a great read, he is a true saviour (and the frizelles) I just hope one day I can look him in the eye say thank you and shake his hand

Rep Player

We owe so much to Darryl & Bec. I hope this is a beginning of a dynasty that makes back their investment many times over.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    The White Knight needs a statue outside of our fortress. He is the heart and soul of our club, the reason we still exist and never give up attitude. Hope one day he truly gets the thanks he deserves.
    Just don't get the artist that did Cam Smiths

Titans embrace lofty expectations
    http://www,theaustralian.com.au

Gold Coast co-owner Darryl Kelly will be in Broken Hill on Saturday. At some point in the afternoon, he will find a television and sit down to watch the start of a journey he and every frustrated Titans supporter hopes end with a finals appearance.

Kelly and the Gold Coast supporters have been down this path before, but it is hard to remember a year in recent times when the optimism has been as justified.

Gold Coast have never been as stable off the field under the stewardship of the Kelly and Frizelle families. They have a coach in Justin Holbrook who many believe is destined for a long and successful stint in the NRL.

Perhaps above all else, there are the recruits. The signing of David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui showed the Gold Coast are ready to match it with the big boys.

“There is some hope and optimism, yes,” Kelly told The Weekend Australian.

“I am cautiously optimistic. When the team is winning, it is amazing the impact it has on the Coast. There is a genuine, genuine desire for the Titans to do well there, there is no doubt about that.

“When they start to put in credible performances, you feel the difference in the reception you get around the community.

“People you don’t know say the Titans are going to have a good year. I say, ‘gees I hope so’. If we do the work we will get the results.

“We have had our share of issues but since the Frizelle and Kellys have owned it, I think we have had a pretty good run.

“We have made some progress.”

Kelly has dipped in and out of ownership since 2012. When the club collapsed and fell into the hands of the NRL, he was on the periphery for a short time.

Then, at the end of 2017, he and the Frizelle family saved the club from the scrap heap.

Slowly but surely, they have strengthened the front office but the turning point may have been the decision to appoint Holbrook, who impressed everyone in his first season in charge.

He inherited a side that finished last and dragged it up the table, closing the season with five successive wins and ninth spot. Throw Fifita and Fa’asuamaleaui in the mix and you can understand the renewed hope.

“They have been terrific,” Holbrook said.

“They are still young, they have just turned 21. They are good people and their personality is good. They are hardworking guys and they get on with it.

“We all know what Dave can do with the ball and the season Tino has had. We have to be realistic – it is not under sevens.

“They are not going to score four tries and kick eight goals in every game. Internally from us coaches and fellow players, noone is expecting any of that.

“One is a back rower and one is a lock. Do that role. There is no extra pressure on from us.”

Nor, he insists, is there any additional pressure on halfback Ash Taylor who, more than any other, has the ability to transform the Titans.

There were signs last year that he was edging back to his best and he has the added incentive of playing for a contract, be it on the Gold Coast or somewhere else.

“The back end of last year he was flying,” Holbrook said.

“The frustration for Ash is the end of season comes and he had to get surgery. He had both his hips done and his wrist done.

“Everyone else flew into training …. and unfortunately for Ash he was one of those injured crew who couldn’t do anything.

“He got knocked backwards in terms of what he could do. Now he is fine and we’re expecting him to play well, as he did last year.

“He is settled. In terms of off contract, he can’t focus on that.

“You can’t worry about that stuff. He has got himself 100 per cent right.

“He has to go out and play well and enjoy playing in the team.”

Holbrook insists the expectation is something they must all embrace. The club is clearly now comfortable in its own skin, exemplified by the decision to take part in a fly-on-the-wall documentary over the off-season that has been running on Fox League.

Holbrook initially had reservations but was comfortable to give the green light when he was told it wasn’t about beating their own chest, but rather reminding everyone of where they have been and how far they have come.

No doubt, it added to the hype. For so long, the Gold Coast has been the ugly stepsister to the Broncos. Southeast Queensland is now a genuine battleground and the Titans have the upper hand. Their challenge is to keep it by making the finals – the last time they finished in the top eight was 2016, although even that had an asterisk after Parramatta was rubbed out due to the salary cap scandal.

“We all understand why,” Holbrook said.

“We finished the season well and we have some recruits. That’s good for us. The whole city needs it

– rugby league is massive up here.

“The kids play at Burleigh and you can’t get in or out of the car park of an afternoon. It is just massive. So it is good to have a bit of optimism.

“We are just realistic about it. I can understand why it is there – it makes sense. That is all it is.

“We have to start the season now and make sure we perform when it counts. I have been OK with it because I think we have needed it up here.

“The club has been battered around for what seems like forever. The optimism and expectation on us is good.”

Ultimately, it means nothing unless they get results on the field. Gold Coast supporters know that better than most. Their history has been littered with false dawns.

The sense is that times have changed – the club has signed 10 new sponsors since Christmas – and everyone will get a better indication of where they stand after they meet the New Zealand Warriors in Gosford on the NSW Central Coast today.

“It has been a lot of hard work and if hard work deserves some success, there is a little bit of hope there,” Kelly said.

“It would be a little bit of vindication for all the work that Rebecca (Frizelle) and myself, our family and fans have put up with.

“It would be a great reward for everybody if we can play some finals football this year. We just have to keep the build going.

“We are not anywhere near finished yet. But I think it is headed in the right direction.”

We all love the club but how many of us would be throwing tens of millions into something you may not even see come to fruition.

A great person to have as one of our co-owners.