Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    At least the press are giving him a fair go ... is Badel on holidays?
    I think that you will find Babel is on holidays mate.

On Brennan the more I read and saw of him in interviews the more I like the look / sound of him. The guys he recruits to fill the remaining spots will give us a insight as to where is mind in as far as recruiting.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Welcome back everyone

Brennan's signing is the most important in our clubs history & I'm sure there are plenty of doubters because he is unknown to people who believe the NRL is the only form of Rugby League in the world..

Garth will bring a different level of professionalism to the club & more importantly the players, he will have no problem in putting any player in their place if it's required dropping them, his Police background is certainly noticeable in his coaching & he commands respect which may shock a few players once the happy greetings are over & preseason begins.

Brenno will resign Ash hopefully in the next week & his 1st major mission may be trying to make Hayne a 5/8

2018 has now become very exciting
    #itaintweaktospeak

Seems like a 'no bull****' kind of guy which is exactly what we need.

He was close to my number one choice from the get go, only Bellamy ahead of him and i would have been happy with Kevvie.

but out of Madge, hasler, Toovey, Daley... it was garth then Daylight for me.

Mexican titan - i hear you point about us taking the cheap route... but i was fearful that would overlook him or demtriou ( another solid choice ) in search of a 'name' like Madge.

but similar to when we missed hodko and settled for Ash Taylor which turned out to be a lovely slice of luck, this might also be a fortunate turn of events when second choice is actually the best choice.

In my eyes, he is a Trent Robinson / Paul green type in the making who has experience in running his own teams successfully, has the great background of the police force and seems to have a strength of conviction about how he wants to do this.

I also noticed how proud and genuinely excited he seemed to be. Maquire would have been a dour appointment and i don't Recall Carty or Henry ever speaking with such clarity about expectations, development and standards.

He is our guy and i am so happy and proud of our club for getting him.

Very happy to have him as our coach. He may be the cheap option but if he develops into the coach a lot of good judges say he will then we will have gotten 3 years at a bargain basement price.

It’s taken one excellent appointment and I’ve seen more ‘happy’ ‘excited’ and ‘proud’ comments here than ever before .

It’s just brilliant and a complete breath of fresh air.

As I said before I’m excited for 2018 and many of you if not all are feeling the same way.

Can’t wait

Love the appointment, hate the way it was handled. Graeme Annesley has zero savoir faire and he and the rest of the suits really should've had this wrapped up a month ago.

But like I said, I'm happy with the result. For me it was a toss up between Darth Brennan or Jason Demetriou. I've always admired clubs that have the kahoonas to take a chance on a young up and coming coach.

If he's half as good at developing talent as they say, we've picked the right bloke.

Like I mentioned in the 2018 squad thread, I really think LG is going to have a bounce back year. It was very plain to see that Kane played without confidence or clarity most all of 2017. He has all the tools to be a really good 5/8. I'm going to be watching really closely this year to see if coach can get Kane playing straighter, thinking run before pass and playing eyes-up footy.

Hopefully the years of us seeing raw talent get squandered while wearing our colors only to sign elsewhere and realise their potential within a well coached regime, is over.

The story on nrl.com quoting Ryan Simpkins was a good read. Let's hope Ryan's coaching evaluation is better than his hands were.

#byezillman #endofanera #insideoutsideballfail #tacklepusher #thrilliamzillman #5yearcontract #seemedlike25yearcontract

I can't really comment about the Brennan appointment as I don't know much about him. Though I am glad we've taken this route with a up and coming Coach than any of the has-been fossil names that were going around.

His concept about people management makes sense, and I'm glad he's prepared to sort out those players that do the Club a disservice. Those two values are something that gives us some faith in his appointment. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in 2018.

Hi all, so good to be back.
    Yep, I'm stoked about Brennan's appointment. I don't know if anyone picked up on it but in one of the interviews, may have been in the abc radio he said he had a "no d***head policy" and let slip another comment that made me truly happy. He said " my club". Shows he's got what he wanted and is ready to take ownership. Apparently he was hook griffin's assistant but found he's more suited to running the show. I'm actually really excited for 2018.

good to see you back K2G, one thing id say is that while it has taken us ages to find a coach... Brennan was still 'in season' until October 1 for the interstate cup final, and then a day or two with his team for debrief, so he has really only been available for two weeks or so and would have been rude to bother him before.

Demetriou similarly was only ejected from finals one week before, so even though its taken 2 months, the 2 best guys have only been free to talk for a couple of weeks.

So it appears a lengthy process, but i have no qualms as i believe the correct choice was made. we are a slow club sometimes, but more often than not we get it right, so i'm happy they don't rush for the sake of appeasement.

That's leadership

- - - Updated - - -

he made too many good comments to mention almost in his interviews. his wife cried when she heard the news he said. I doubt very much any other possible coaches wife would be have so emotionally happy to come here.

I am just over the moon for us.... but also for him and his family. He seems like he is really proud to have been chosen and already seems emotionally invested.

one of our current players knows him and says he is the best he has ever had and he has played for Bennett and a few other good coaches.

Make no mistake he is going to be the figurehead of our club for a long time, and if he can get Ash to sign, we could have a Cam Smith - Bellamy type relationship and drive in our team.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    good to see you back K2G, one thing id say is that while it has taken us ages to find a coach... Brennan was still 'in season' until October 1 for the interstate cup final, and then a day or two with his team for debrief, so he has really only been available for two weeks or so and would have been rude to bother him before.

Demetriou similarly was only ejected from finals one week before, so even though its taken 2 months, the 2 best guys have only been free to talk for a couple of weeks.

So it appears a lengthy process, but i have no qualms as i believe the correct choice was made. we are a slow club sometimes, but more often than not we get it right, so i'm happy they don't rush for the sake of appeasement.

That's leadership
    Thanks DB. I'm not back mate. I never left! Always lurking.

Also, nice post. Rational and level headed analysis of the recent events.

To say that it "appeared a lengthy process" and that "we are a slow club sometimes" is in my opinion, a little generous.

As a one-off, isolated event, maybe I agree with you, and congratulate the club for taking as much time as possible. But it's an alarming pattern with our club, especially so in the Annesley/Board era.

The NRL literally had to save us from deliberating ourselves into non-existence.

That also speaks of a certain kind of leadership (i.e. the ****e kind).

In the end, we got our man and that is what matters most.

I'm very hopeful about what he can bring to the squad. Hopefully he gets some good support staff around him, which I'm sure will take much longer than I would personally care for.
    Last edited by K2G; 21-10-17 at 10:10 PM.

Inactive User

So..........pre the appointment there was a fair bit of anti-NSW sentiment re the possibility of Daley, Hasler, Maguire being appointed. Ummm Coach Brennan is from Newcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    So..........pre the appointment there was a fair bit of anti-NSW sentiment re the possibility of Daley, Hasler, Maguire being appointed. Ummm Coach Brennan is from Newcastle.
    We know that but the plebs don't. All those othter names and I'd throw Toovey in too scream NSW. I'm not against NSW coaches. (Thank god it isn't Toovey, or there would have to be an investigation) But I think our club does need a plan to enrich our Queensland credentials, but it wouldn't be as simplistic as "we have a QLD coach" and leave it at that. We also can't deny our NSW territory, in fact we should claim it.

The fact he is from rugby league heartland in Newcastle is a big plus to me.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans coach to size up list

htttp://www.gcbulletin.com.au

HE doesn’t officially put his feet under the desk at the Titans until next month but Garth Brennan is already hard at work, meeting officials yesterday to ensure his side will hit the ground running in the pre-season.

Brennan met chief operating officer Tony Mestrov yesterday to run his eye over the Titans list for 2018.

Mestrov and Titans officials have been working on recruitment and retention since the departure of former coach Neil Henry, all but completing the top 30 for next season.

But it’s understood Brennan will have the final say on the last few spots in his squad, as well as likely targets for the cash freed up by Tyrone Roberts’ move to Warrington and the likely departure on compassionate grounds of Agnatius Paasi.

The Titans will not launch into a spending spree though, with Brennan believing he already has a team that can compete for a top eight spot next season.

“I want to sit down and see what we need to strengthen and what we need to do and areas we need to improve,” Brennan said of finalising his playing roster.

“I do have a relationship with a number of clubs, as most coaches do. If we need to strengthen any positions, we can put some feelers out there and see what’s out there.

“We don’t need to rush into anything. If someone’s not there, we’re not going to panic.

“I think we’ve still got the nucleus of a side that we’re really excited about. If we can strengthen our roster, we’ll always be looking to do that and looking to improve.”

Brennan has relationships with several NRL players – his mentor role with Ash Taylor is expected to help the Titans resign the gun half – although he has built his career on development systems that have brought rising stars through the ranks. It will be a key plank of his Gold Coast strategy but he still understand the need to recruit strongly.

“I speak a lot about development but you still have to recruit,” he said.

“What I don’t want to do is recruit someone that’s going to block the pathways of a young kid that’s coming through in our system.

“If I’ve got an 18-year-old who’s a great five-eighth, I don’t want to go and recruit another five-eighth for four or five years and block that kid’s pathway.

“That’ll be where I look first but if I can’t find it within, then we’ll have to go out and recruit.

“But all the decisions will be made for what’s best for the Gold Coast Titans.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Immortal

Great article especially in relation to the development pathways. The Gold Coast/Northern NSW region is one of the best junior catchment areas in Australia. When you throw in the region covered by the Western Mustangs we have the best region of all NRL clubs bar none. The new owners need to back Brennan and make the funds available to stop the drain of young players to other NRL clubs.