Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    QLD Cup

If Taylor, Cartright and Latu lift we have the troops to be top 8. Maybe with a 5/8 who gives him confidence Taylor will get back to form.

I think we can put the Panthers guys down to a new bloke just going where he’s familiar. I think he would have learned a lot last season and I think the Board was right to trim some of the responsibilities off his agenda and just let him coach.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I think we can put the Panthers guys down to a new bloke just going where he’s familiar. I think he would have learned a lot last season and I think the Board was right to trim some of the responsibilities off his agenda and just let him coach.
    That last point is important- let him do what he’s here to do

Inactive User

One of his major selling points was to improve our junior systems and “future proof the Gold Coast” in his words. mdrew for example has been very positive about our much overdue improvements in this area.
    This can’t be now lost, it must be further developed.
    So I’m afraid I disagree with you both Titanic/RJ.
    He must follow through on the commitments he made to the interview panel that employed him.

I don't disagree with you Bodsie but the practicality of it is that we only see a part of what's going on e.g. a local junior like Elgey heads off to Manfully and that irks but what I read from mdrew's enormous efforts is that there are systems materialising. How much of that can be done by one guy? How much was already in place and building?

In the end, I think to ask a coach to run an NRL squad and the club's junior development program is unrealistic. He certainly should support the juniors' systems by giving local kids of equal potential first chance. He certainly should give his ten cents' worth to strategy meetings where pathways are planned. And he certainly should be seen around the traps, with his squad, supporting local events.

But in the final wash-up, he's only one man and he'll be judged by the franchise's win/loss ratio and position on the ladder. The danger is spreading yourself too thin to do the job you're paid to do and there was a fair bit of that last year. The form of Latu and Cartwright didn't help.

If I was an owner and thank heavens I'm not, I would be plumping for the old chestnut that it's more cost effective "to buy local produce" and certainly more community-engaging ... case in point ye olde Bodsie. Love your work but I do wonder what the conversation would be if we had 17 local kids playing and winning the wooden spoon ... just saying.
    Last edited by Titanic; 06-11-18 at 04:20 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    but I do wonder what the conversation would be if we had 17 local kids playing and winning the wooden spoon ... just saying.
    I think Titanic this is the most important point. If we were to win a comp I couldn't give a flying where the players come from. While I'd love to see as many locals come through, at the end of the day, it's winning comps that matter. Do you think Roosters fans cared that few locals were in their winning side this year.
    With the injuries we have had the past two years the door has been open for many young blokes to take their chance and very few have. Of course we should do whatever it takes to ensure the development of juniors is a high priority but I generally think if they are good enough they will come through. Of course the argument is not helped by bringing highly paid flops in from other clubs.

You get what you pay for. We have got a Rookie coach on minimal money and we get results the reflect what we are prepared to pay. I think the right coach on good money is going a huge way to a top 8 and premiership. Top coaches know how to attract good players. Look at the players we are picking up and looking at --- Kahu, Roberts, Will Matthews, Latu, Cartwright. Yes they can all perform well on there day but there not top line players. I think Brennans days are numbered. I think most will be questioning his appointment by mid year if we don't start seeing results soon. I am sick of hearing this year is a rebuilding year. If Brennan doesn't produce the results then we need to kick him out. We should have been looking a Bennett but that ship has now sailed. Keeping Brennan produces stability but stability without results is useless. Time to move on is quickly coming.
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    You get what you pay for. We have got a Rookie coach on minimal money and we get results the reflect what we are prepared to pay. I think the right coach on good money is going a huge way to a top 8 and premiership. Top coaches know how to attract good players. Look at the players we are picking up and looking at --- Kahu, Roberts, Will Matthews, Latu, Cartwright. Yes they can all perform well on there day but there not top line players. I think Brennans days are numbered. I think most will be questioning his appointment by mid year if we don't start seeing results soon. I am sick of hearing this year is a rebuilding year. If Brennan doesn't produce the results then we need to kick him out. We should have been looking a Bennett but that ship has now sailed. Keeping Brennan produces stability but stability without results is useless. Time to move on is quickly coming.
    That is true but we have to be realistic also. We are not a multimillion dollar club who would have the money Bennett would command, unless he was looking for a challenge and to take massive unders. He took the easy option to go to Souths and get a nice pre-retirement pay packet.

I'm still willing to give Brennan a go. He picked up a terrible roster after we lost some great players because of Hayne and then eventually lost Hayne. Agree that his signings have been questionable but it's up to him now to make them perform. He's had the roster for a year now and he's starting to shape it the way he wants. This year will play a big role in deciding whether or not he will be here post 2019.

For sure, give him this next full season. But as psmitty mentioned, fans will probing for answers if we don't have the runs on the board come mid-season. Hopefully with Mal on board now it will help him out immensely. For now though he's got to stop poaching from Panthers stock because it's not a good look, and it screams of a man that has little experience in poaching other players from other clubs and/or a inability of striking up relations with others outside of his network.

After more thought in regards to our juniors. Admittedly he may have been spread a bit thin to dedicate much time to them. Yes, it's important that he primarily focuses on getting our squad to fire. But in doing so, he still got to make good on his promise when he first lobbed here, and mentioned about getting something happening with the juniors as well.

2019 will be a big year for Garth.

Just to clarify....Brennan is neither the sole decision maker or major decision maker in respect to the recruitment and retention of players. He is a member of a committee comprising owners, coaching staff and Phil Moss. His word or his wants do not carry sway over the other members. In fact, he really wanted Norman up here in the five eighth role this year but Kelly quickly killed that idea on the basis of Norman being a poor cultural fit. If we are going to hold Brennan accountable, then let’s hold him fully accountable for the results on the paddock and acknowledge that he has shared accountability for recruitment and retention next year. In saying this, I acknowledge that Latu and Cartwright were recruited at a time when Brennan had almost total say in the process so he should be fully accountable for their success or failure.

Immortal

Rest assured all the the Titans junior development system is an outstanding system with a lot a talented youngsters on board and more to come. The people involved are doing an outstanding job.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    For sure, give him this next full season. But as psmitty mentioned, fans will probing for answers if we don't have the runs on the board come mid-season. Hopefully with Mal on board now it will help him out immensely. For now though he's got to stop poaching from Panthers stock because it's not a good look, and it screams of a man that has little experience in poaching other players from other clubs and/or a inability of striking up relations with others outside of his network.

After more thought in regards to our juniors. Admittedly he may have been spread a bit thin to dedicate much time to them. Yes, it's important that he primarily focuses on getting our squad to fire. But in doing so, he still got to make good on his promise when he first lobbed here, and mentioned about getting something happening with the juniors as well.

2019 will be a big year for Garth.

Good to hear, mdrew.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Rest assured all the the Titans junior development system is an outstanding system with a lot a talented youngsters on board and more to come. The people involved are doing an outstanding job.
    Great to hear that after years of waste but it’s imperative that it continues to be built upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Just to clarify....Brennan is neither the sole decision maker or major decision maker in respect to the recruitment and retention of players. He is a member of a committee comprising owners, coaching staff and Phil Moss. His word or his wants do not carry sway over the other members. In fact, he really wanted Norman up here in the five eighth role this year but Kelly quickly killed that idea on the basis of Norman being a poor cultural fit. If we are going to hold Brennan accountable, then let’s hold him fully accountable for the results on the paddock and acknowledge that he has shared accountability for recruitment and retention next year. In saying this, I acknowledge that Latu and Cartwright were recruited at a time when Brennan had almost total say in the process so he should be fully accountable for their success or failure.
    Excellent post. Would encourage everyone to read as an educational piece on the club structure and Brennan's role with respect to recruitment and retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Excellent post. Would encourage everyone to read as an educational piece on the club structure and Brennan's role with respect to recruitment and retention.
    Kinda raises more questions than what it answers... Anyway, I won't open that can of worms.

Just hope they got internal structures in place from having events like Henry vs. Haynes/Taylor play out in the media before the Clubs knows whats going on, in future.