Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Expectations
    https://www.titans.com.au

The NRL season is just two months away and with all clubs now back to full training, talk now starts on the expectations for season 2019.

Coach Garth Brennan had his Titans finish in 14th position last year but after what he was calling a 'rebuilding' year, the Coach has brought in a couple of big name recruits and now has his sights set on a top eight finish in 2019.

Speaking at the club's first field session of 2019, Brennan believes you have to work towards a finals berth.

"Every Coach wants to play semi-final football," he said.

"The expectation is that in September you'll be playing semi-final football.

"I'm a big believer that you end up where you deserve but if you work hard and tick every box, you'll finish where you deserve, which is hopefully in the top eight."

With new recruits Shannon Boyd, Tyrone Peachey and Bian Kelly, along with the return of Tyrone Roberts, many are suggesting with the additional depth in the squad, the Titans' could work towards a top eight finish in 2019.

"I'm really happy with how the guys have come back and I hope they reap the rewards off the back of the hard work that's been done.

"Fingers crossed there are no injuries at all. We've got some depth but unfortunately injuries play their part but we've got guys that can come in and play at NRL level."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Third last would have stung the players last year. There were some big losses...but then there were some close ones we could have won.

The close losses....

Round 8 - Sharks 10 - Titans 9.

Round 14 - Souths 18 - Titans 16.

Round 22 - Panthers 17 - Titans 16.

Round 24 - Storm 10 - Titans 8.

Round 25 - Cowboys 30 - Titans 26.

Marrying these close ones (and our wins) up with the couple of touch ups we received shows that the gap between our best and our worst was far too great. I really think this year will be different. The added depth should result in players performing consistantly, and make them hungrier for success. We will win these close ones this year.....and dish out a few floggings along the way!

We could have won everyone of those matches & that’s what I would hope is the biggest change for the upcoming season with a hopefully injury free pre-season & some words of Wisdom or Fear from Mal
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    We could have won everyone of those matches & that’s what I would hope is the biggest change for the upcoming season with a hopefully injury free pre-season & some words of Wisdom or Fear from Mal
    Absolutely! I keep forgetting about Mal. Having the kangaroo's coach buzzing around should add some extra incentive for the players to lift to another level. Players at other clubs would probably kill for a chance to have a chat/receive some guidance from Mal.

I don't want to pee before my water comes......but I'm really, really excited for this season!!

Inactive User

The TAB has us as the biggest outsiders for the Premiership at $51 (even behind Canterbury) and second favourites for the Spoon. So I’m keeping my expectations a tad lower. It avoids disappointment.
    Onfield leadership was a glaring weakness for us last season.
    Any evidence that this has been addressed??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    The TAB has us as the biggest outsiders for the Premiership at $51 (even behind Canterbury) and second favourites for the Spoon. So I’m keeping my expectations a tad lower. It avoids disappointment.
    Onfield leadership was a glaring weakness for us last season.
    Any evidence that this has been addressed??
    I don't worry about the preseason odds that much, but if I was going to have a bet on us finishing in the top 8 this year....now would be the time to do it I guess! (I don't bet)

Anyway.....where did the experts have the cowboys finishing this time last year? And the eels were around the $13 mark as well. LOL!

I always keep my expectations high. If things don't work out...I'd rather just look for the positives and try to find a way or suggest a solution to fix things rather than concentrate on the negatives and dwell on why it didn't/can't/won't work.

As for evidence of leadership being enhanced...you'd have to think that the coaching staff would have gathered some really good intel after that night run. That's why teams do these sorts of things....to gauge physical and mental toughness and see which players can handle high stress circumstances and who takes on the leader role naturally.

We may not be able to tell you who will take leadership roles on the field this year...but I reckon the coaches would have a good idea!
    Last edited by Menoitios; 09-01-19 at 11:25 AM.

Inactive User

The odds for us making the 8 is $4. Bookies get some good intelligence in formulating the odds. I am quietly and cautiously optimistic for a good year this year like you are BUT I’m wondering if they know something that we don’t know.

The odds for us making the 8 is $4. Bookies get some good intelligence in formulating the odds. I am quietly and cautiously optimistic for a good year this year like you are BUT I’m wondering if they know something that we don’t know.
    Very true, mate. We have seemingly very good depth, a balance of youth and experience, rep players and the players we've added should fit in smoothly.

So......I guess it will come down to avoiding injuries and coaching. I just can't see us getting the spoon.

What have parra and the dogs done in the off season to impress the bookies???

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Very true, mate. We have seemingly very good depth, a balance of youth and experience, rep players and the players we've added should fit in smoothly.

So......I guess it will come down to avoiding injuries and coaching. I just can't see us getting the spoon.

What have parra and the dogs done in the off season to impress the bookies???
    Dogs are Spoon favourites but strangely are ahead of us in the Premiership market. So I don’t think they’ve done too much to impress the bookies.
    Parramatta I don’t know. Maybe they think last year for them was an aberration.

I would think if most things go to plan we will not be anywhere near the spoon. In fact if we don't make top 8 there will be a very nervous coach.
    I assume the bookies odds are largely just based on what we saw last season and whether things have improved. Last year - a fat half who bludged, a lousy bench, little class in the forwards and across the park, too many just average players.

This year I think we'll have a better centre pairing with Kelly and Peach, more depth in the halves but other than Taylor on potential the new blokes Jacks and Roberts don't strike fear into others. The jury is still out for me on King and Boyle and Hipgrave is just a dumb footballer. Boyd is a plodder for me but hopefully the change will get him back to where he was a few years ago.

So I can see why we are not rated highly......however if Taylor plays up the value of his contract and forms a good partnership with the other half, AJ continues to fire as FB, Peats gets back to form and if Peach and hopefully a rejuvenated Cartwright add the class that they can, I think we could surprise many. If all the "ifs" come off we would make the 8 easily and hopefully a bit better but I'm used to keeping my enthusiasm in check with this club now. A fascinating year coming up.

Dogs are Spoon favourites but strangely are ahead of us in the Premiership market. So I don’t think they’ve done too much to impress the bookies.
    Parramatta I don’t know. Maybe they think last year for them was an aberration.
    I don't know why the dogs are more favoured to win the premiership than us. I don't get why they think the eels will improve either. That's probably why I put little faith in what the betting markets say about the bottom 8.

The cowboys season I would view as an aberration.

It's good to be under the radar though!!
    Last edited by Menoitios; 09-01-19 at 12:22 PM.

I think that, with the exception of the Eels and Dogs, every team has improved marginally, hence our odds ... personally, we should challenge for a top 8 spot but there will be a bee's dick in it.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Brennan says he’d be ‘crazy’ to brush Mal’s pearls of wisdom
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

GOLD Coast coach Garth Brennan insists he can work with Mal Meninga and has urged the Immortal to put his stamp on the Titans.

Meninga is ramping up his impact on the Titans after relocating to the Gold Coast from Canberra to take up the specially created head of performance and culture position.

Meninga’s role oversees the entire Titans operation, from administration to football, as the club’s owners search for a way to turn the franchise into an NRL premiership contender.

While Meninga has declared he will not overrule Brennan, it is expected the Kangaroos Test coach will have influence around the football team.

Meninga, 58, won nine out of 10 State of Origin series as coach of Queensland and was last year inducted into the exclusive Immortals alongside the greatest players in the game’s history.

Brennan said he would bring Meninga into the Titans’ inner sanctum.

“I’d be crazy not to,” he said.

“Instead of hearing my voice all the time, it’s good to have someone else.

“I did it with Gordie Tallis last year to talk to players at different stages and Matty Johns. I had Gilly (Trevor Gillmeister) come in last year. I’m always looking for those sort of people who I know players will listen to and get a bit out of instead of hearing my voice all the time.

“They can relate to someone who has done it all in the game and been a winner like Mal. At stages throughout the year I will ask him to have a few one-on-ones with players.”

The Titans have only featured in the NRL finals once (2016) since 2010.

Brennan guided the team he inherited from former coach Neil Henry to 14th last season.

Meninga is expected to play a mentoring role for some of the Titans’ emerging stars and Brennan said the dynamic could work.

“He will throw his two bobs up when he feels fit,” he said.

“But he is very conscious that I’m the coach and he doesn’t want to get in my way or what we’re doing.”

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Each year I come in and wish you guys well. However, last year I was told to F off. Still, being a Gold Coaster I think if all goes well, you will be the surprise.

A top eight is well within your talents and once you make the eight, anything is possible.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Titan Pete View Post
    Each year I come in and wish you guys well. However, last year I was told to F off. Still, being a Gold Coaster I think if all goes well, you will be the surprise.

A top eight is well within your talents and once you make the eight, anything is possible.

Good Luck
    Hang on, I'd never in a million years to tell you to f off. So don't hold some comments against us all.

I appreciate and respect any fans of other clubs coming over and saying g'day.

Thanks for the well wishes. Good luck to the Cowboys too.