Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Garth Brennan named Titans Head Coach

Garth Brennan named Titans Head Coach

http://www.titans.com.au

The Aquis Gold Coast Titans are excited to announce the appointment of Garth Brennan as Head Coach for the next three seasons, through until the end of season 2020.

Brennan boasts an impressive resume dating back to 2003 where he started his coaching career as Newcastle Knights Jersey Flegg Assistant Coach. The 45-year-old has since coached Premierships wins at NYC and NSW Cup levels, culminating in his 2017 double victory winning both the Intrust Super Premiership and the State Championship for the Penrith Panthers.

As a player, The Newcastle-born Brennan played for the Knights at junior representative level and was also part of the 1991 Jersey Flegg Premiership side.

Prior to coaching, Brennan was a member of the NSW Police force for 18 years and also played 200 first grade games in the Newcastle competition.

Brennan is excited about the opportunity and challenge that is ahead.

"I’m really thrilled about the opportunity I have now at the Gold Coast Titans,” Brennan said. “I’m excited by the current roster and quality of group that I am going to take control of.

“I really want to focus on developing from within, that’s what I believe is my strength. It’s what I take away from my two previous clubs, I want to work closely with the individuals, I want to get to know them and work together to build that culture that everybody talks about.

“My message will be pretty simple. I want the group to train, play hard and I want every team to know that they have played a tough Titans team.”

The Titans selection committee chaired by Board member, Geoff Jones, unanimously felt Brennan’s record and personal attributes made him the right man to steer the Titans future fortunes.

CEO, Graham Annesley, welcomed Brennan’s appointment after an exhaustive search process.

"Garth has definitely served his rugby league 'apprenticeship' and thoroughly deserves this opportunity,” Annesley said.

"He not only has an impressive coaching record, he is also a very impressive person who will add a lot to the culture of the club. We are extremely pleased to have him on board.

"It is an exciting period for the club, and with a new ownership model also imminent, we can't wait for the 2018 season to get underway with Garth as our Head Coach."

Garth Brennan's Coaching Resume:

2003-2006: Newcastle Knights Jersey Flegg Assistant Coach

2007-2008: Newcastle Knights Harold Matthews Head Coach

2009: Newcastle Knights NYC Assistant Coach

2010-2011: Newcastle Knights NRL Assistant Coach/NYC Head Coach

2012-2013: Penrith Panthers NYC Head Coach

2013-2015: Penrith Panthers NSW Cup Head Coach

2016: Penrith Panthers NRL Assistant Coach

2017: Penrith Panthers Intrust Super Premiership Head Coach

Representative Positions:

2011: NSW U18 Assistant Coach

2012: NSW U18 Head Coach

2015: NSW Residents Head Coach

2017: New Zealand Assistant Coach
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I think we are lucky to have a new coach with Garth's background. The overall reaction of Panthers fans to his departure is also a huge endorsement. They are really going to miss him and he has a lot of respect over there.

And I will go on record that I'm happy with this. I'm pretty sure I voted for Brennan in our old New Coach poll.

Hopefully he can get our junior pathways going in tandem with making use of our Queensland Cup feeders.

Welcome to the Titans, Garth!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

His interview was outstanding, very well spoken and seems to be very passionate. Liked what he had to say about juniors, pathways, community involvement didn't beat around the bush laid it on the line. And diehard as you mentioned the panthers fans and their reactions tells me that Brennan is very well respected.
    Will be interesting to see the football department make up, who he brings in and who goes

Why has the media completely ignored his most poignant comment: "it's not the resources to me but rather being resourceful" - won me in one sentence? The non-negotiable "protect the Titans' brand" being a close second.

Welcome Garth the Prosecutor.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I'm quite happy to see a developing and up and coming coach get a gig. Much the same way how we like the players to come through.

Hopefully the fanbase can get behind him, I'm sure they will. Hayne, your move.

So excited to have the forum back. I reckon I checked 10 times a day for the last 2 weeks at least.

I am really happy with the Brennan selection and even more impressed after the interview. Everything seemed genuine and not "coach speak". This guy gets what makes a team and a club.

I read an article from Darren Nicholls about how he develops halves and particularly young players and I think this guy can get Ash and Kane playing good football together. I am okay with Tyrone leaving too so there is no distractions either.

Unfortunately my daily fix of Titans news over last couple of weeks has been checking Twitter and Facebook comments, and after reading the comments on the Titans post about Brennan yesterday I am convinced most people on there have no idea.

Yes this guy is unproven at this level but I think he has the makings of a great, long-term coach.

The other comment that appealed to me in his media conference was about having junior players wanting to commit to the Titans and I think the club has done a good job this year in buying back the farm and bringing some Gold Coast juniors like Arrow, Hipgrave and now Brendan Elliot back to the region.

Hoping for news on retention of Ash Taylor and Kelly and Frizelle getting the ownership to finish off the month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Why has the media completely ignored his most poignant comment: "it's not the resources to me but rather being resourceful" - won me in one sentence? The non-negotiable "protect the Titans' brand" being a close second.

Agreed Titanic. The other great thing about that comment was that it was asked by that tosser Dobbo, so threw it back in his face.

Also noted the sour grapes from the Walker brothers, reinforcing the correct decision not to go with them.

I am happy with this appointment. My only underlying concern is that it seems that Maguire was first choice but would not commit until the new owners were in place which is understandable to me. Brennan on the other hand just wanted a chance I gather and couldn't wait. The concern is that yet again we have gone for a cheaper option because the off field stuff is still disjointed.
    Anyway that said, I have been very impressed with what Brennan has had to say and I reckon his years as a copper give him a great background for this job. A man of principle he seems to be and hopefully he'll shoot Hayne in the line of duty, well maybe not go that far....
    Great to be back and arguing. Other than the coaching appointment and losing Tyrone Roberts not much happened while the forum was down so it may have been a good thing not to have me on here whining about the Titans lack of action. Certainly things take too long.

Inactive User

Oh thank god the forum is back
    God I’ve missed this place

Am absolutely thrilled with Brennan
    Once mdrew recommended him I was all in.

Very excited.
    Now let’s get Sir Darryl and friends confirmed as our owners

I’ve missed you all brothers

Immortal

I am very happy with the appointment

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post

I agree , that was absolute pure Gold!
    The press interview was oustanding and for the first time in a while I actually felt good about our club.

Whilst not expecting miracles, I can’t wait until 2018

What a breath of fresh air and what an impressive guy.

Welcome Garth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Oh thank god the forum is back
    God I’ve missed this place

Am absolutely thrilled with Brennan
    Once mdrew recommended him I was all in.

Very excited.
    Now let’s get Sir Darryl and friends confirmed as our owners

I’ve missed you all brothers
    Can’t agree more about the forum being back - I thought I’d lost a part of my anatomy there for a while....

Hayne truth is Titans coach won't cop players who behave badly

http://www.couriermail.com.au

GOLD Coast coach Garth Brennan will draw on his policing experience to manage Jarryd Hayne and has issued Titans players a warning to be on their best behaviour.

Brennan was yesterday appointed as Neil Henry’s successor for three years.

The former Penrith lowergrades coach will assume the reins of a team that finished second last in 2017 and struggled on the back of a player revolt against Henry.

At the crux of Henry’s problems was a feud with $1.2 million player Hayne, a character many coaches have struggled to manage.

Brennan, 45, said he would not adopt a one-size-fits-all approach at the Titans and believed he could extract the best from Hayne in 2018.

“I was a police officer for 18 years and part of that involves man management and getting to understand people,” he said.

“We all know Jarryd is an exceptional talent but he is not the only exceptional talent at the Gold Coast Titans. They have a really good roster I’m really excited about.

“The first thing is to get to know the individual players. Jarryd is one of them. There are 29 others I want to get to know them away from football.

“The key for me is the players will pick up very quickly that I care about my players. Football players can smell a fraud very quickly. They can tell whether you’re genuine or not.”

Brennan said ensuring the present squad was committed to the task was imperative.

“I’m not a person that’s going to hit them all with big sticks or be a dictator of any sort,” he said.

“I’m not going to say I’m going to treat everyone equally because I’m not. People are different.

“You step out of line at the Gold Coast Titans and you affect the brand of the Gold Coast Titans, then that is a non-negotiable. That’s when I will come down hard on you.

“My job and my vision for the club is to future-proof the Titans. We’re going to be a powerhouse every year.”
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 20-10-17 at 08:31 PM.

TAYLOR-MADE TO GET ASH
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

GARTH Brennan has set his sights on delivering the Titans a $3 million coup with halfback Ash Taylor on the verge of pledging his future to the Gold Coast.

Brennan was yesterday unveiled as the Gold Coast’s new head coach on a three-year deal to succeed Neil Henry.

The 45-year-old former police officer has wasted no time getting stuck into his job, revealing he had already spoken to Taylor about extending his tenure at the Titans.

Taylor is off-contract at the end of next season and the Titans are racing to secure his signature on a three-year extension before a rival club can poach him from November 1.

The Courier-Mail can reveal key Titans figures are privately confident Taylor will spurn interest from the Broncos and accept the $1 million-a-season offer next week.

And it is the arrival of Brennan on the Gold Coast that could be the clincher for the Titans in their battle against Wayne Bennett’s Broncos.

Brennan has played a mentoring role for Taylor over the past 18 months after being introduced to the 22-year-old by former Titans five-eighth Tyrone Roberts.

“It’s exciting. He is a real talent and part of what’s going to help us going forward,” Brennan said.

“We can build a club around Ash. I’m fairly confident he’s not far away from committing to the Gold Coast Titans.

“I’ve spoken with Ash. I’ve had a relationship with Ash for over 18 months. I know him well.

“I’m fairly confident a deal with the Gold Coast Titans will be imminent.”

While Brennan and the Titans are confident of securing Taylor, a lucrative eleventhhour offer from a rival club could see the 2016 Dally M rookie of the year jump ship.

Asked if the Broncos would look to sign Taylor for 2019, Brisbane CEO Paul White said: “I don’t want to speculate on player recruitment other than to say we are always active in the market, especially in the next few weeks.”

Brennan has spent the past six years at Penrith, coaching the under-20s to the 2013 premiership before claiming NSW Cup titles in 2014 and this year.

He has developed a close relationship with a number of Panthers players while assisting head coach Anthony Griffin, including former skipper Matt Moylan, whose future at the foot of the Blue Mountains is uncertain.

Brennan said the Gold Coast’s roster was mostly settled for 2018 and he would not be targeting Panthers players specifically to recruit.

“I think the roster for 2018 is pretty good, it’s just about done,” he said.

“It’s a chance for me to sit down and whether it’s the Penrith Panthers or any other club, the club’s always looking to strengthen its roster where you can and where needed.

“Yes, I have some close relationships with Matt Moylan and people at Penrith but I also have a close relationship with the head of football there in Phil Gould and he’s one person I don’t want to get offside with.”

Titans’ brand set for change

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

INCOMING coach Garth Brennan has promised the Titans will play an entertaining brand of football he believes can immediately take them to the NRL finals.

Brennan faces an stern test given the Titans play just one of their first seven games on the Gold Coast next season due to Commonwealth Games requirements for Cbus Super Stadium. But he believes the Gold Coast have the roster to push into the top eight.

“It’s obviously a tough start but hopefully we’ll get some benefits at the back end of the year where we can come home strong,” Brennan said of a draw that includes six of the last nine games at home.

“I do (believe we can make the finals). You go through the side and you’ve got virtually an Origin front-row with (Jarrod) Wallace, (Nathan) Peats and Ryan (James).

“You’ve got (Kevin) Proctor who’s an international, hopefully Ash Taylor will commit and then you’ve got the likes of Jarryd Hayne and Konrad Hurrell. Where we end up is going to depend on how hard we train and how we work and how hard we play.

“That culture will be in the club right from the start, from the first day they arrive.”

Brennan, who was officially unveiled by the Gold Coast yesterday on a three-year deal, wants to make the Titans a “powerhouse” of the NRL and “future proof” the club by developing local talent as he has throughout his career at Newcastle and Penrith.

Relationships with schools, the 6000 junior players in the Gold Coast nursery and local clubs will be nurtured to allow the Titans to benefit from the fruit in their own backyard.

And players coming through will learn to play footy “the Titans way”.

Defensive fortitude – something missing last season as the Titans slumped to 15th on the ladder – will be vital. But players will have a licence to use their flair off the back of that.

“I think if you’re a strong defensive side, that measures your attitude,” Brennan said.

“I can teach anyone to tackle but unless they want to do it and want to turn up or their mate, they’re not going to do it. I judge a team’s character and attitude on their defence.

“But I also want to play some football as well.

“I’m a coach that likes to entertain – and we’re in the entertainment business. I want to play a style of football that the fans want to watch.”

Brennan doesn’t want robots and won’t try and put square pegs in round holes: “I want (players) to go out there and if there’s a talent they’ve got that no one else can do, why would I stop them?

“Especially someone like Jarryd (Hayne) and Ash (Taylor) and some of the talented players within our squad, they can do some extraordinary things. I don’t want to harness that, I want to encourage that.

“I may not be here in 10 years’ time, in fact, statistics say I probably won’t be. But regardless, when my time is up at the Titans, I want to walk away knowing that they’re in a position where they can be competing for a title every year.”

GARTH BRENNAN: THE NEW COACH’S VIEWS ON ...

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

HOW TITANS COMPARE TO PENRITH AND NEWCASTLE

“I’ve come from clubs that rely on the development of firstgrade players from the local area and I think there are a lot of similarities.”

KEEPING ASH TAYLOR

“I’ve had a relationship with Ash for over 18 months and know him well. I’m fairly confident a deal with the Gold Coast Titans will be imminent.”

LIVING ON THE GOLD COAST

“It’s been my holiday destination for the last 16 years in October. I’m going to have to find another holiday destination now. I used to say to the wife, ‘gee, I wish we didn’t have to go home’.

LINKS TO MATT MOYLAN

“I have close relationships with Matt Moylan and Penrith but also a close relationship with head of football there, Phil Gould. I wish Penrith all the success in the world, just not when they play Gold Coast.”

HIS PATH TO THE TITANS

“I was a Newcastle boy and came through the West Newcastle system and played lower grades at the Knights. You had to make the choice between a career or your football dream. I wanted to be a police officer coming through school and did it for 18 years. I don’t regret that.”

MAN MANAGEMENT

“A big thing is understanding a player’s background and where they have come from. If you work that out you can get the best out of them.”

JARRYD HAYNE

“We all know Jarryd is an exceptional talent. The first thing is to get to know individual players. Jarryd is one of them. I’m hoping over the next few years we will see a few more Jarryd Haynes come through.”

TYRONE ROBERTS’ EXIT

“It’s disappointing but players move on. It’s fantastic for Tyrone and his young family to head to Warrington. We can’t keep them all and in the next few years we are going to have development kids come through.”

LONG-TERM GOALS

“I don’t want to have to go through a rebuilding stage every three or four years. I hear clubs say they have a window to win it otherwise we have to start rebuilding. If you develop within ... you shouldn’t have to rebuild.”

NEW CLUB OWNERS

“I’m confident the NRL will make the right decision. I tend not to worry about things I can’t control but I’d prefer to be resourceful than well resourced. Lots of money doesn’t guarantee success.”

At least the press are giving him a fair go ... is Badel on holidays?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.