http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-...7e7d1e9a798061

ON the field he runs hard, and hits even harder.
But off it, there is a softer side to Gold Coast Titans prop Luke Douglas.
The 29-year-old was the driving force behind the Titans’ partnership with the Down syndrome Association of Queensland in 2014, and has continued to work tirelessly with the charity during his time away from footy.
Featuring in a segment of The Sunday Footy Show, Douglas, who also lends his time to Surfing for the Disabled, explained why he is so committed to helping others.
“Little guys that have never been in the ocean really and they get down to the beach and catch their first wave. Their little smile lights you up,” he said.
On top of giving his time to the community association in school groups, Douglas regularly looks for opportunities to invite some of the children into the Titans change-room after the game, as well as encouraging other players to get involved.

The Scotland international takes his passion for working with children from his late mother Trish, who worked as a teacher’s aid for kids with disabilities. From a young age, he mimicked his mother’s commitment.
“I used to spend a bit of time with the kids when I was in my later years in high school,” Douglas said.
Tragically, Trish passed away in May 2013 after being diagnosed with cancer. Prior to the initial diagnosis, she had suffered a stroke while on a plane over to London to watch younger son Kane play for the Wallabies
“Couple of hours out of Heathrow, she had a stroke on the plane, and they realised she had cancer,” Douglas said.
“It was the day after my birthday that she passed, and I think it was the day after mothers day, which was another sad time. It was hard to take because she missed my marriage…”
Douglas’ character is invaluable to the Titans squad.
Douglas’ character is invaluable to the Titans squad.Source:News Corp Australia
The prop’s extensive charity work is largely driven by his desire to carry on his mother’s legacy.
“She did so much for me, and I hope I’m making her proud,” he said.
In 2015, Douglas was nominated for, and won, the NRL’s Ken Stephen Medal, which recognises the efforts of a player who has not only achieved on the field, but commits time off the field to community projects.
Watch Douglas’ nomination video in the player below.

Voted as the game’s best off-field ambassador, Douglas’ strength of character also shows through in his work on the field.
His record of the most consecutive NRL games still stands as one of the most impressive showings of strength and determination to succeed that the game has seen.
Since his debut in Round 2, 2006, Douglas did not miss a single first grade match until Round 23, 2014 — a run of 215 consecutive NRL games.
“You can see the admiration he had there for his mum, and I know his dad gets involved a lot with his footy teams. What great character, awesome, what a great story,” Brad Fitler said on The Sunday Footy Show.
“It shows in his record. He played about 200 games in a row, that shows incredible character, so congratulations.”
2015 Ken Stephen Medal winner.
2015 Ken Stephen Medal winner.Source:News Corp Australia
Known as a relatively quiet character, Douglas never looks to make his charity work public or seek an kind of reward, he just does it because he loves it. And his character on the field is testament to a man that just puts his head down and gets the job done for the best of those around him.
He may not be looking for any accolades, but he certainly deserves them.