Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I actually think Nene has been alright, he's been doing all you can ask, he has a few issues defensively, but hoffs are worse.

I would probably think about swapping Hoff for Davis. I really liked Davis and i would be more than happy to have him back. I would move Mead back to Fullback and Zillman out to Meads wing. I'd drop Don, he hasn't been playing anywhere near his potential for the last 5ish weeks and he is most likely to not be resigned at the end of this season, i reckon it's time to pull the trigger and give BK/GL/Olive/TRD a go and see what they can make of it.

Looking into the next few years, backline should be something like

1. Mead
    2. Olive
    3. Mcdonald
    4. Davis
    5. BK

and then later down the track something like

1. GL
    2. Olive/TRD
    3. McDonald
    4. Davis
    5. BK

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    Agreed! he seems to be first picked each week on reputation alone. Seems to stifle our attack with a inability to pass and is a huge defensive liability.
    he's most likely only picked to justify his pricetag, remember reading somewhere he turned down a 700k offer from canberra to come to us, pretty worrying what he is on if it's true

QLD Cup

It's a long season, and as much as I would like to see the future, I recon the old backline need a bit more time to justify their payments. Looking at the game last week there were a few lost chances which if grasped may have led to a win. Our assessment of the team would have changed accordingly. I have only seen the young guns play in one Under 20s game and I didn't see anyone crying out for selection. Davis however probably deserves a chance as he seems to be doing well in Qcup.

This week will be the test a greatly improved performance or win will tell the tale of whether changes are needed.

God Pete Badel giving me a heart attack on NRL 360.

Said breaking news on Ash Taylor suffering from an injury. Turns out it is just stomach cramps but he was rushed to hospital and could miss the Dogs game.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Breaking news is that Ash Taylor has been taken to hospital today. Cullen trained in his place.

No menstrual jokes....period.

The secret protected species list:

1. Zillman ... a lot said and nothing to be added except he is replaceable by Mead
    2. Mortimer ... a lot said and nothing to be added except he is replaceable by ... ? A 50/50 dilemma; Cullen or Moseley.
    3. Hoffman ... not enough said and he is replaceable by ... ? An irresistible conundrum: Zillman or Davis or Olive or ... daylight.

The underwhelming list:

1. MacDonald ... too much said as he is in the development phase of his career.
    2. Don ... too much said as he is solid rather than a star but still outstrips the alternatives.
    3. Moseley ... largely written off but is very much still a work in progress.

The wish list:

1. Coote
    2. Sarginson to star
    3. Te'o
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

https://twitter.com/travismeyn/statu...93458291531776

Scrap that. Titans coach Neil Henry says Ashley Taylor "highly unlikely" to play. Mystery illness/injury. @cmail_sport @SuperCoachNRL #

Likely Cullen to come in.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Some guy on FB last night said he ran into him at a fish and chips shop and he said that Ash told him that he'd be sweet. This isn't a joke.

"So just casually waiting for my fish and chips and guess who walks through the door... ASHLEY TAYLOR!! Acting like a kid at Christmas i knew straight away it was him because what 22yr old has a grey spot of hair. Had a good chat to him seems like a pretty decent bloke. Sounds pretty crook but he's adamant he will be right for the weekends game. I asked if he lived in the area he said no i just come and buy my old boss dinner every thursday night."

Since most reports say ATay is out, I just hope Cullen has a decent enough game to say he needs a position somewhere on the team. I don't expect a win against the dogs however Des has the greatest losing % to the Titans, we are a hoodoo team for them. Long weekend here we come!

Anyone else read about Bird telling cullen to hold off resigning so cullen can get more $$$. apparently now birdies on the wrong side with Titans management. Lurker reckons he won't be here in 2017.

His advice should have been learn how to play hooker. Has the Lurker ever been correct? Bird has a contract and we need him probably a little more than he needs us or could get by going to another club.

There are also rumours doing the rounds that Seggy maybe available a lot sooner than expected as he is fit but Wallace is still keeping his position.

'Hungry' Cullen ready for second shot
    http://www.nrl.com/

Most players only watch themselves play under the critical eye of the coaching staff in Monday's video review but Cameron Cullen was so excited to have made his NRL debut for the Titans in Round 6 that he watched it back as soon as he got home to the Gold Coast.

After an encouraging first-up display Cullen has earned a second start in the NRL due to the absence of halfback Ashley Taylor. Taylor was initially thought to have been suffering from either appendicitis or a gall bladder infection when he was admitted to hospital during the week but coach Neil Henry said they now believe it to be a minor tear in the oblique muscle that was enough to prevent him from travelling with the team.

Taylor's misfortune is Cullen's gain, the 22-year-old to partner Tyrone Roberts in the halves against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium on Saturday afternoon, the fourth different halves combination the Titans have used in four straight weeks.

Having spent time with both the Broncos and Cowboys, Cullen's opportunity to join the Titans came when Kane Elgey suffered a season-ending knee injury in pre-season training and impressed in his first start against the Sharks.

The diminutive No.7 scored a try late in the first half and played nice and direct with his sharp running game, doing enough to satisfy himself that he hadn't been overawed by the occasion.

"I don't get much sleep after games, especially a debut, so I went straight home and watched it when I got home," Cullen said.

"I'm always pretty critical of my own performance after any game. There were things that I could improve on but I was happy with how I played, that's for sure.

"I was happy with what I did out there and obviously look to build on that any more games I get.

"I didn't feel nervous running out to be honest. I felt good, after the warm-up and everything was done I felt good and ready to go. I tried not to think about it all week and keep the emotion out of it so I could go out there and do my job.

"A couple of days after I reflected on it and it's massive for me. It's been a goal of mine for a very long time, I've put so much hard work into it and to finally achieve it was a bit of a relief.

"I'll never forget the experience and it's definitely made me hungry to play more."

At a time of the season where continuity of personnel is important the loss of Taylor is another disruption the Titans could do without.

After two weeks out with a knee injury Tyrone Roberts made his return last week against the Dragons and coach Neil Henry remains confident that he and Cullen can combine well against a Bulldogs team who lost narrowly to the Warriors last weekend.

"We have had four different combinations in four weeks but 'Cullo' playing on that left side, he can stay there and Tyrone will be on that right side where he's played most of his footy anyway for us in particular," Henry said.

"Cullo didn't let anybody down in that debut game against Cronulla. He scored a try and he's nice and direct.

"Tyrone might have to take on a bit more of the kicking but he tends to be the dominant kicker anyway. Ash has been good but I think we've got a capable back-up."

Two points behind the Bulldogs on the ladder and level with five other teams on six competition points, Henry said that while they face a difficult assignment it is important to try and keep pace with the top eight.

"There are a lot of teams on similar points and you can drop down the ladder pretty quickly," Henry said.

"We've had a few thereabout kind of games with a couple of five-point losses but it is a tough assignment down there. Their form has been a bit up and down too and they'll be smarting after that loss to the Warriors.

"They got back into that game late and we'll need to improve to be a chance of beating them down there.

"It's not insurmountable but we need to go down there and play to our ability."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Updated team lists: Bulldogs v Titans

Titans playmaker Cameron Cullen made his NRL debut in Round 6. Credit: Robb Cox. Copyright: NRL Photos.
    Titans halfback Ashley Taylor is out of Saturday's clash with the Bulldogs after being hospitalised with abdominal pains during the week.

Fellow rookie Cameron Cullen returns to the side in Taylor's place.

For the Bulldogs, Crag Garvey has been included on the interchange with Adam Elliott and Lloyd Perrett dropping off the extended bench.

Bulldogs
    1 Will Hopoate
    2 Curtis Rona
    3 Josh Morris
    4 Kerrod Holl
    5 Sam Perrett
    6 Josh Reynolds
    7 Moses Mbye
    8 Aiden Tolman
    9 Michael Lichaa
    10 James Graham (c)
    11 Josh Jackson
    12 Tony Williams
    13 Greg Eastwood

14 Sam Kasiano
    15 Tim Browne
    16 David Klemmer
    21 Craig Garvey

Titans
    1 William Zillman
    2 Anthony Don
    3 Josh Hoffman
    4 Nene Macdonald
    5 David Mead
    6 Tyrone Roberts
    19 Cameron Cullen
    8 David Shillington
    9 Nathan Friend (c)
    10 Ryan James
    11 Zeb Taia
    12 Chris McQueen
    13 Greg Bird

14 Luke Douglas
    15 Leivaha Pulu
    16 Agnatius Paasi
    17 Kierran Moseley

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Bulldogs v Titans: Schick Preview

ANZ Stadium
    Saturday, 3pm

Sometimes the Telstra Premiership can throw up anomalies that are hard to explain yet impossible to ignore.

For the past four seasons the Bulldogs have been perennial premiership contenders and the Titans haven't finished better than ninth yet it is the Titans who have won four of the past five meetings between these two teams.

The Bulldogs call ANZ Stadium home yet technically have not won a 'home' game there this season. (Their 42-12 win over the Rabbitohs in Round 4 was a South Sydney home game.) On the other hand, the Titans have only been defeated once at ANZ Stadium since 2008, recording four wins against the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs.

Like the popularity of the Kardashians and the combination of chocolate and peanut butter there are some things beyond our understanding and perhaps that includes a stranglehold that the Titans hold over the Bulldogs.

Or Des Hasler's men could flex their considerable muscle as they did against Souths, blow the slow-starting Titans off the park and give the rest of the NRL a reminder that it might not necessarily be an all-Queensland grand final for a second straight year.

The only changes for the Bulldogs are the additions of Lloyd Perrett and Craig Garvey to an extended bench while the Titans again go into a game with a different 17 that took the field the week prior.

Lock Greg Bird is back from suspension but Gold Coast will be without Daniel Mortimer (hamstring), hooker Kierran Moseley included on a five-man bench.

The match will see Greg Eastwood play his 200th NRL game and Luke Douglas become just the 21st player to play 100 games for two NRL clubs when he runs out for his 100th game for the Titans, the 246th NRL game of his career that began with the Sharks in 2006.

Watch out Bulldogs: It has been evident this year that Ryan James is no longer to be content as a contributor to the Titans, he wants to be a leader. The most penalised player in the competition last season wasn't in the top 50 heading into Round 7 and produced an 80-minute performance that saw him yield 171 metres along with 61 tackles and three tackle busts. Averaging close to 60 minutes per game he faces off against Canterbury skipper James Graham on Saturday with a responsibility to lead his forward pack into battle against one of the most formidable opposition in the competition. It's an assignment he is looking more and more ready to handle.

Watch out Titans: Nathan Hindmarsh once described him to me as the hardest player he ever tried to tackle and while he may not receive many of the plaudits Bulldogs winger Sam Perrett is in a rare vein of form. In addition to scoring a crucial try he produced a terrific defensive effort marking up on Marika Koroibete in the Bulldogs' win over the Storm in Round 6 and then last week against the Warriors he crossed twice in the space of four minutes, had two try assists, three line breaks, five tackle busts and two line-break assists. A brilliant dummy-half runner, you know Perrett will be dependable, but he might also be brilliant.

Key match-up: Greg Eastwood v Greg Bird. Full disclosure; I'm an unabashed fan of 'Beastwood' and the fact that he is footballer first, athlete second. Playing in his 200th NRL game he brings so much skill to the Bulldogs through the middle of the field and with minimal physical exertion is able to put attacking players flat on their backs through impeccable defensive technique. Greg Bird had to sit on the sideline last Saturday as he served a one-game suspension for a careless high tackle and will be eager to push his case for selection in the Test team in a fortnight. You're never exactly sure what you're going to get with these two but you know that at any moment they can deliver the game-changing play that turns a contest on its head.

History: Played 13; Bulldogs 6, Titans 7. With four wins from their past five games the Titans' recent record against the Bulldogs is their equal best in the NRL despite going down 36-14 in Gosford last year. Canterbury winger Curtis Rona scored a double on that occasion, the second time he had done so in as many games against Gold Coast. In seven of the 13 games between the two teams the Bulldogs have kept the Titans to one try or less in the first half and gone on to win five of them, the biggest shock coming in Round 26, 2014 when the Titans came from 18-0 down at the break to win 19-18.

What are the odds: Bulldogs $1.35, Titans $3.20. There are almost as many individual bets on the Titans to cause an upset, however there's twice as many dollars invested on the Bulldogs to win this game. Bulldogs 1-12 is more popular than a 13-plus victory according to Sportsbet. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au.

Match officials: Referee: Ashley Klein; Assistant Referee: Chris James; Touch Judges: Ricky Macfarlane and Anthony Eliott; Review Officials: Jason Robinson and Ben Galea; Senior RO: Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 2.30pm.

How we see it: A demanding fortnight on the road to Melbourne and Wellington will have been physically taxing on the Bulldogs but expect them to respond in a big way on home soil. Providing the weather is good a 3pm kick-off will suit their halves pairing of Josh Reynolds and Moses Mbye who will look to stretch a Titans defence that has to first contend with the big Bulldogs forwards. If the Titans concede first points – as they have for the past six weeks – it could turn into a long afternoon. Bulldogs by 14 points.

Key Match Up Greg Eastwood v Greg Bird. Who writes this stuff?