Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Origin: Bennett hurting Lockyer's Origin chances?

Origin: Bennett hurting Lockyer's Origin chances?

Darren Lockyer is all class, one of the best players in the world. Sunday saw him with the Broncos struggle in which they (and he) will only get better as we delve deeper into the season.

Many good judges out there (Laurie Daley, Matt Johns and Gorden Tallis amongst others) believe that Wayne Bennett is doing Lockyer no favours in playing him at five-eight in the front line for Brisbane. Against the Cowboys, Lockyer made 13 tackles and missed 11 tackles in 56 minutes of football. We know Lockyer is not there for his defensive prowess, though the extra work he is being forced to do up front is hampering his attacking game no two ways about it.

Season 2004 saw a fresh and confident Darren Lockyer take to the five-eight role like a duck to water and he took out the Dally M Five-Eight of the Year award polling very well in the Golden Boot Player of the Year Award. His season was capped off with a 5 star performance in the Tri-Nations final that saw Bob Fulton label his first half as one of the best performances he had seen in a Kangaroo jersey. All was rosy.

Lockyer in 2005 started the season well though as the season went on he became a tired, jaded shell of his former self with Brisbane and Queensland suffering for the form lapse. You would be forgiven for thinking that 2005 saw Darren Lockyer age 5 years such was the dishelved figure we saw hobbling in his hotel foyer unable to take part in the majority of the UK leg of the tour last year.

With Dally M Player of the Year Jonathon Thurston totally outplaying him on the weekend and with Scott Prince starting 2006 as he ended 2005, QLD selectors will have almighty headache come Origin time if Lockyer and his Brisbane Broncos are still struggling. I don't think Lockyer could be moved to fullback for QLD replacing a Bowen, Slater or Schifcofske after not playing in the fullback position since 2003, so selectors will monitor his form closely right up until selection time.

As the current Queensland and Australian captain, I fully expect to see Darren Lockyer in game one of the 2006 State of Origin Series as I believe when fit he is second only to Andrew Johns as the best player in the world today. The above cannot be simply ignored, Queensland are under the pump again this season and NSW will select a side geared on once again targeting Darren Lockyer much like NQ did on the weekend which ensured Lockyer had nothing left in attack.

The more I see Lockyer pumbled each week when wearing the six jersey, the more I hope Bennett moves the best fullback of the modern era back to fullback where he was dominating football games from the back. I understand and applaud the team first approach of Lockyer at Brisbane, though from what I have since 2004 the move to me is not once that has linked to success for Brisbane or Queensland at Origin time.

Thoughts?

It's obvious that he has no aspiration to play fullback, Which I think is fair enough. Although at fullback the Broncos would have a great player with lockyer. However if its the running game he likes Give him a run on the wing or even in the centers.

He really did struggle on the weekend against the Cowboys and as you mentioned Deegan he was outplayed by Thurston from Kick off till the time he left the field.

As far as Bennett ruining his origin chances, My opinion is HELL YES.. If lockyer continues to play in this position at the decreased performance we have seen on sunday. I would say that even a spot on the bench for Origin one would be a long shot.
    REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!

He definately needs to be moved back to fullback. One of the best fullbacks of all time. If the selectors were smart (and they usually aren't), they would pick Thurston and Prince in the halves for QLD. IMO They would be almost unstoppable.

If the selectors went for:

6 - Jonathon Thurston
    7 - Scott Prince

I don't think Lockyer would be the best option at fullback going in cold - that would come from Matt Bowen, Billy Slater, Rhys Wesser or Clinton Schifcofske.

Is it possible to defend Lockyer at fullback and attack at 6?

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Injury permiting we will see Lockyer at number 6. But if there is even a hint of injury in Lockyer I dont think he will be risked. And we probably see:

1: Bowen
    6: Thurston
    7: Prince

And Slater could slot into a wing position. Based on round 1 form Lockyer shouldnt be even considered but there are still many more rounds until State of Origin.

I agree with what you say about Lockyer, DeeGan, and furthermore, I think he's beginning to look like a dis-spirited, broken man.

He was originally moved into the five eighth position because the Broncos didn't have anyone at that time capable of being a match winner from that position.

They now have Hunt who is definitely capable of filling that role so they should swap those two players onfield positions immediately. I think it's only Bennett's refusal to accept that he might be wrong that has prevented it from happening up to now.

After all, Lockyer was lauded as one of the very best fullbacks of all time but now he's just getting smashed out of the game. Hunt is bigger in stature and more likely to be capable of playing that position in a similar style to Trent Barrett.

For what it's worth, this is my back line dream team for the Maroons:

1 Lockyer
    2 Bowen
    3 Hodges
    4 Bowman
    5 Slater
    6 Thurston
    7 Prince
    17 Hunt

I just hope they select the Maroons on form this year and give us a chance for a Series win again.

Quote Originally Posted by salaw2504
    I agree with what you say about Lockyer, DeeGan, and furthermore, I think he's beginning to look like a dis-spirited, broken man.

He was originally moved into the five eighth position because the Broncos didn't have anyone at that time capable of being a match winner from that position.

They now have Hunt who is definitely capable of filling that role so they should swap those two players onfield positions immediately. I think it's only Bennett's refusal to accept that he might be wrong that has prevented it from happening up to now.

After all, Lockyer was lauded as one of the very best fullbacks of all time but now he's just getting smashed out of the game. Hunt is bigger in stature and more likely to be capable of playing that position in a similar style to Trent Barrett.

For what it's worth, this is my back line dream team for the Maroons:

1 Lockyer
    2 Bowen
    3 Hodges
    4 Bowman
    5 Slater
    6 Thurston
    7 Prince
    17 Hunt

I just hope they select the Maroons on form this year and give us a chance for a Series win again.
    Great post Tend to agree with the majority of the above

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Great post Tend to agree with the majority of the above
    Well, thank you very much. And there's plenty more where that came from. I guess it's a legacy of my idle hands and busy mind. :blush:

Quote Originally Posted by salaw2504
    Well, thank you very much. And there's plenty more where that came from. I guess it's a legacy of my idle hands and busy mind. :blush:
    Let's hope you can add to the 11 posts thus far

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

There has been discussion in just sayin, move Locky to fullback in defence so he doesn't get crushed so many times, but then the thoughts of Hunt come up, hes no better in defence when it comes to one on one tackles. And would that then wear out Hunt?

I'd really love to switch Locky back just to see how he goes, one game, just to see, but I odnt think it'll happen, the chances ares slim. He seems very set in this ways to stay at 5/8, well at least WB is.

So, as for origin, it may well hurt his chances, IF he doesn't start to gain some form, thats the thing, he gains form, all this goes away, when he had some brilliant games last year and the year before, no one was questioning anything.

It'd be great to see that backline salaw2504!! Thats dynamite!
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

Quote Originally Posted by [BroncosGirl]
    There has been discussion in just sayin, move Locky to fullback in defence so he doesn't get crushed so many times, but then the thoughts of Hunt come up, hes no better in defence when it comes to one on one tackles. And would that then wear out Hunt?

I'd really love to switch Locky back just to see how he goes, one game, just to see, but I odnt think it'll happen, the chances ares slim. He seems very set in this ways to stay at 5/8, well at least WB is.

So, as for origin, it may well hurt his chances, IF he doesn't start to gain some form, thats the thing, he gains form, all this goes away, when he had some brilliant games last year and the year before, no one was questioning anything.

It'd be great to see that backline salaw2504!! Thats dynamite!
    Hunt IMO is quite poor at defence; there has been numerous occasions when he just doesnt match a first grade level. You pretty much have a 100% chance to score a run away try against Hunt; due to his one-on-one defence being so poor. Moving him to five-eight or half back may help but he will still be burnt by the fact that he wont be able to match it in terms of defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Hunt IMO is quite poor at defence; there has been numerous occasions when he just doesnt match a first grade level. You pretty much have a 100% chance to score a run away try against Hunt; due to his one-on-one defence being so poor. Moving him to five-eight or half back may help but he will still be burnt by the fact that he wont be able to match it in terms of defence.

Mate he is only 18, with 1 season of bulking up, and a good tackling coach he could be better in defence then Daley was.

He has the perfect build for a 5/8

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

He does have a good build for 5/8, but Im just saying atm, replying to ideas of moving locky to FB in defence, that then Hnut would have to go to 5/8 fro defence and atm, hes not great at defence, like Qlder said. But I think Hunt will be a future 5/8, and he'll get better, I've seen him do some good tackles.

If he works on it, it'll be no problem, its not like hes weak or anything, he's strong, got a good build. Maybe if Locky's later years, he can finish his career as how he started, FB... I wish :P
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

1. Locky
    2.Ty
    3.Stevey Bell
    4.Bowmen
    5.Slater
    6.THURSTON
    7.Prince
    8.Price