Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Lol ... you're right JB, our biggest issues are attack and defence ... doesn't leave too much though

Yes mate but that doesn't exclude the fact that we had Cartwright then and eventually traded him for a second-rate NRL journeyman in Henry instead of bidding aggressively for the emerging Queensland young gun coach and SEQ resident at the time in Green. The only redeeming factors are that we were bereft of funds and leadership, now we're bereft of coaching nouse and I should add my son is rj05
    Henry that "second-rate NRL journeyman" was the guy that got the Cowboys to the finals right?

Maybe we should bin him and get Toovey.......what a great idea. Not

I for one remain happy with Henry. What he has had to deal with on and off the field and the roster he has been given, I think he is doing the best anyone could do. I hope he stays. One poor game does t make the season. As I said before no one was kicking his can when we won on the trot. I still believe this team has more heart than years past. I actually think they believe in themselves and that only comes from one place.

I'd like to know where we would be at if we had the injuries that we have available.

I don't need coaching conjecture this early on......I want stability and just let us get on with rebuilding this club and roster and see where we sit.

Everyone including people here had us pegged for the wooden spoon before a ball was kicked. I still don't reckon that will happen and never did. I had a good feeling about this year and I still do despite the setbacks,

If people don't like it, there's plenty of other clubs to support. Im staying where I am thanks all the same.

I reckon I have a quite a few years (LOTS) on rj05
    Last edited by rj62; 17-04-16 at 05:12 PM.

Happy to agree to disagree on Henry (who I've argued against since he was first appointed) and most of your other points '62 ... but pointing people to the door because they don't agree with you is hardly in the best interests of the club.

And I'm sure you've got lots of years on my son who's 10
    Last edited by Titanic; 18-04-16 at 02:11 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post
    Henry that "second-rate NRL journeyman" was the guy that got the Cowboys to the finals right?

Maybe we should bin him and get Toovey.......what a great idea. Not

I for one remain happy with Henry. What he has had to deal with on and off the field and the roster he has been given, I think he is doing the best anyone could do. I hope he stays. One poor game does t make the season. As I said before no one was kicking his can when we won on the trot. I still believe this team has more heart than years past. I actually think they believe in themselves and that only comes from one place.

I'd like to know where we would be at if we had the injuries that we have available.

I don't need coaching conjecture this early on......I want stability and just let us get on with rebuilding this club and roster and see where we sit.

Everyone including people here had us pegged for the wooden spoon before a ball was kicked. I still don't reckon that will happen and never did. I had a good feeling about this year and I still do despite the setbacks,

If people don't like it, there's plenty of other clubs to support. Im staying where I am thanks all the same.

I reckon I have a quite a few years (LOTS) on rj05
    The problem with Henry is that he immediately undoes all credibility by not picking our best 17 in the best positions. We have taken some huge on and off field strides in regards to our club and we are 10 times the team we were last year.

However, we will not be a force until we are putting our best team on the field. Henry has decided that his selection policy has no basis on performance and his comment that Zillman had "earned the right" to stroll straight back into the fullback spot even though he hadnt played in a year shows he isnt the answer to our teams coaching needs.

If we are to be taken seriously as a club and as a future destination for players our on-field performance has to match the strides taken off the pitch. If we continue to accept mediocrity Don, Hoffman, Nene and Zillman (while improved enough in my books to be a centre NOT fullback) then I cant back the coach plain and simple.

If I took your "dont like it support other clubs" mentality I would of left this club years ago during the Carty BS

i agree with what ur saying 5yc... its his selections that are my only real criticism of Henry too.

he has us fitter, committed and driven... just not the right 17 blokes.

he needs to fix that before it undoes his other good work

maybe with morts out it might open the door for cullen/mosely to come in off the bench. you could tell on Saturday when friendy came on the whole team became composed and we started to defend really well and begin to join our attacking plays, that what the experience in friend does. Real shame I don't think he would be able to play 80 mins but if he could it would be a great gift. I can pretty much recall henry making similar selection mistakes at the Cowboys and fans were relatively frustrated then too. I just don't see what Henry sees in Zillman that Nene, Olive, Mead or Davis. I just think we are struggling between selecting young guns to blood and keeping with players who really should have no input in our future. I have a lot of Henry and for Zillman, but i just don't think he is up to first grade standard, espescially when mead has more than proven he can really rock out that fullback role. Nene and Hoffman have been alright recently, but Don has been disappointing to say the least, he just doesn't seem as committed anymore, real shame.

If I had to pick a team this week for the dogs clash, it would be something like:

1. Mead
    2. Hoffman
    3. Zillman
    4. Nene
    5. Olive
    6. Roberts
    7. Taylor
    8. Shillo
    9. Friend
    10. James
    11. Taia
    12. McQueen
    13. Bird
    14. Paasi
    15. Douglas
    16. Lynch
    17. Cullen/ Mosely

Then again by now we are pretty much expecting the same old same old so i guess whatever goes.

- - - Updated - - -

also i'm not overly disheartened regarding our recent results. All the teams we have lost to so far all finished in the eight last year, and Melbourne, Brisbane and Cronulla are all very good sides, we shouldn't be too concerned about them, but it is the loss to the dragons, who although quality have been recently poor, that really concerns me. I don't think we are going to beat the dogs this week but hopefully we can keep rattling the bigger teams and head into rep round with a spot in the top eight.

Henry has done amazing stuff for this club and to have us with three wins already this season with the limited roster he has, he should be applauded. Agree with most saying he does make a lot of questionable team selections, however I think just about every club has these and we are not alone.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

I've been very happy with the player clean out Henry has done and the attitude he's installed into the players. There have been some puzzling selections but many other clubs have them too.

I'm hoping Canavan can get a couple of good signings and then we'll be able to be a finals force IMO but untill then we are still a couple of good signings away. If we can get to the finals with the current roster we have then that'll prove Henry is A good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Henry has done amazing stuff for this club and to have us with three wins already this season with the limited roster he has,
    This limited roster is his outside of a couple of long term deals. He cleaned out a lot of dead wood (long over due) and then signed this limited roster in their place.
    Yes there has been a couple of hidden gems amongst them but overall we haven't seen any impact from them.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    This limited roster is his outside of a couple of long term deals. He cleaned out a lot of dead wood (long over due) and then signed this limited roster in their place.
    Yes there has been a couple of hidden gems amongst them but overall we haven't seen any impact from them.
    It wasn't Henrys fault we lost James Roberts. He is obviously a bigger loss than we hoped. We are two years in with henry, if he doesn't get his third we are rebuilding for another three with someone else who wants to change the roster. But in saying that I hope Henry is banking on getting his finals bonus.

he did clean out the dead wood, but the drugs thing combined with our lack of credibility tied his hands for recruiting high quality players and didn't make us a very appealing option. not to mention it has been stated that is more difficult to sign players when you are owned by the NRL as the process is much more laborious.

I think if we signed Paul Green, he would be a Q cup winning, rookie NRL coach who probably wouldn't have had much more success signing players than Henry. I would have preferred to sign green absolutely, but i dont think the gates open and we miraculously signed a ship load of great players. Henry almost built that entire NQ roster aside from JT and a couple of older players perhaps. Green added Granville, and the polish to take them the last part of the journey.

my final word on Henry would be that he has done better than most considering the hand he was dealt. if he left tomorrow the club is in a vastly better position than when he began. I don't think he is the guy to take us to the premiership, but he is the guy to get us from laughing stock to competitive team who can make finals consistently.

This whole debate is because I labelled Henry a "journeyman" and that's what he is in my opinion ... I have not questioned the resilience of the current roster but point out that I have never been impressed with his appointment ... he is just like Cartwright and every other mediocre coach. Let's not forget Cartwright got our team to within a bees' d1ck of the final, did that make him a great coach? Henry goes well when the roster is new and desperation hasn't sunk in. He selects poorly and offers little in the way of innovation in his plays. He is a good bloke and a competent coach but he is not a star, so I state again: he is a journeyman, plying his trade wherever he can get a gig. I also don't want another three years "re-building" however the good coaches get past that quickly and into the finals.

As JB points out, this is Henry's roster. As DB points out, he was been dealt a hand which scuttled last year (the year that was never going to happen) but allowed that clean-out. He now has money, administration and the basis of a good roster ... it's in his hands and no one elses.
    Last edited by Titanic; 18-04-16 at 10:17 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

agree totally with it all being in his hands now Titanic, although i think it was someone else post i was more referring to originally than yours.