Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans Biggest Roster Decision: Spine for 2017

Ben Ikin: Gold Coast Titans’ biggest roster decision heading into NRL 2017
    12 minutes ago by SIMON BRUNSDON
    Source: FOX SPORTS

FOX Sports rugby league guru Ben Ikin says Gold Coast have a big decision to make about their spine before they decide how to approach David Mead’s next contract.

The off-contract Mead has been filling in for regular No.1 and captain Will Zillman while the regular fullback has been injured.

The 27-year-old has been impressive in the custodian role, having played just 13 games at fullback in 129 appearances for the Titans before this year.

He’s predominantly spent his NRL career on a wing, and occasionally dabbled at centre.

Mead is one of several Gold Coast outside backs coming off contract, with the side’s two hookers (Nathan Friend and Kierran Moseley) and utility Daniel Mortimer also coming to the end of their current deals.

Ikin nominated Mead as one of the players the Titans must retain but said they need to do a proper assessment of their spine before they decide how to approach his next deal.

“I love watching David Mead play, he is wholehearted,” Ikin told the Fox Sports Market Watch podcast.

“That shot he put on Corey Oates to save a try, that’s putting your body on the line. He’s so quick, speed is an asset you can’t have enough of in the modern game.

“I don’t think he’s ever going to be a Billy Slater or a Greg Inglis or a Darius Boyd, but he’s a seven out of 10 (at fullback).

“I think he’s an eight out of 10 winger.

“The question for the Titans is sometimes you’ve got to weigh up if you have seven or eight out of 10 halves, maybe they can carry a seven or six out of 10 fullback.

“It all comes back to the make-up, and depending where they land with their nine, six, seven and one will determine where David Mead ends up playing.”

Titans COO Brian Canavan joins Ben Ikin, Ben Glover and Nathan Ryan to explain the salary cap and the biggest challenges facing the club.

In other words, are the playmaking stocks good enough on the Gold Coast to ignore the best fullbacks on the market, such as premiership winning star Lachlan Coote?

Their first-choice halves this year are Tyrone Roberts and Ashley Taylor, who have played little more than 100 NRL games between them.

Young playmaker Kane Elgey has extended his contract with the club and will return from an ACL injury next year.

If it’s not at fullback where the Titans spend their money, they also have some big decisions to make on their hookers.

Mystery surrounds the No.9 jumper with veteran Friend off contract and young Moseley still yet to break through as a bankable first grader.

Titans chief operating officer Brian Canavan, however, says a priority for the recruitment team is in the outside backs.

“We’re searching for a centre,” Canavan told the Market Watch podcast.

“John Olive became available for us and he’s filling the role very well, and he’s the ideal age. “(Super League recruit) Dan Sarginson is joining us next year and he adds to our base.

“We’ve got two, if not three, outside backs in our under 20s who have potential to play NRL in a short space of time.

“We’ve got to be very smart and very selective with who we recruit because we don’t want to clutter the place up.”

On the Mead conundrum, Canavan admits he is unsure whether the 27-year-old is best suited to fullback or wing.

“Whether David Mead slots back onto the wing, whether he wants to compete with Zillman for fullback we’re not quite sure but he will fall into place somewhere,” Canavan said.

Ikin says the club will need to weigh up exactly how much Mead is worth to the team.

“If (Mead’s) market value is above what the Titans are prepared to pay for him, and we’ve seen in the past, if they put a market value on a player generally they don’t go over it,” Ikin said.

- - - Updated - - -

So I thought it'd be interesting to start a discussion on this. Does everyone think Mead should be our long term fullback? Or do we head to the market?

Personally I think a spine with:
    1. Mead
    6. Taylor
    7. LG
    9. Moseley (?)

Would be fine and would be competitive. Mead still has a lot of work to do on positioning but his hard work and his body-on-the-line defence is outstanding (as shown on Oates and Kahu). Also needs some work on ball playing which will happen as he gets more time back there. Here's hoping Henry doesn't boot him for Zillman.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

I personally think the best spine if possible going for would be:

1. Coote
    6. Taylor
    7. Elgey
    9. Rein, Segeyaro, Friend (depending how long he will be playing for)

17. T Roberts

In saying this, it all depends if Coote is willing to go here, as well as Rein or Segeyaro, however I am happy for Friend to keep this position.

I still think Meads best position is winger, if we can keep him there and get a good fullback I think we can win a premiership in the next couple years.

Posted an article underneath, do you think this could be talking about Mitch Rein?? any other suggestions who it could be??

A YOUNGER OPTION?

Which club is attempting to bring a promising young hooker to their club for next season despite already having an experienced player capable of producing 80 minutes?

The player this club is chasing won’t leave to be a shadow player so you have to wonder what kind of promises are being made to the youngster.

We’re not sure what this means for their current No.9.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...cbb0b809f6835f

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    I personally think the best spine if possible going for would be:

1. Coote
    6. Taylor
    7. Elgey
    9. Rein, Segeyaro, Friend (depending how long he will be playing for)

17. T Roberts

In saying this, it all depends if Coote is willing to go here, as well as Rein or Segeyaro, however I am happy for Friend to keep this position.

I still think Meads best position is winger, if we can keep him there and get a good fullback I think we can win a premiership in the next couple years.

Posted an article underneath, do you think this could be talking about Mitch Rein?? any other suggestions who it could be??

A YOUNGER OPTION?

Which club is attempting to bring a promising young hooker to their club for next season despite already having an experienced player capable of producing 80 minutes?

The player this club is chasing won’t leave to be a shadow player so you have to wonder what kind of promises are being made to the youngster.

We’re not sure what this means for their current No.9.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...cbb0b809f6835f
    I think its the dragons chasing nikorima and rein leaving

Rein is quite a good option imo, if he's willing and able to go another season Friend with Rein would be nice
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

1. Mead
    6. Elgey
    7. Ash
    9. Friendy (but if he leaves get a new hooker)

Honestly, Moseley is still a couple seasons away. He hasn't done enough to say he can step up into that role IMO, good player but needs work.

SIGNINGS:

Lachlan Burr, Nathan Davis, Anthony Don, Nathan Friend, David Hala, Leva Li, David Mead, Daniel Mortimer, Kierran Moseley, Nathaniel Peteru, Leivaha Pulu, Matt Robinson, Ryan Simpkins, Matt Srama

From this off-contract list I say re-sign:

Nathan Davis
    Anthony Don
    Nathan Friend (unless go for a marquee hooker)
    David Mead
    Kierran Moseley
    Nathaniel Peteru
    Leivaha Pulu

I'm not bothered about the rest.

There isn't much on the market, dependant on what Friend does we should chase a couple of hookers (don't re-sign Mortimer and Srama) a depth hooker like Jayden Hodges if Friend decides to go around another year.

1. Coote
    6. Elgey
    7. Taylor
    9. Segeyaro

And of the re-signings:

a. Mead and Pulu are musts,
    b. Davis in preference to Don as he covers centre/wing and there are quality kids coming through for depth,
    c. Peteru, Moseley and Burr are all still yet to mature but worth the investment,
    d. Friend as a member of the coaching staff.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    1. Coote
    6. Elgey
    7. Taylor
    9. Segeyaro

And of the re-signings:

b. Davis in preference to Don as he covers centre/wing and there are quality kids coming through for depth,
    c. Peteru, Moseley and Burr are all still yet to mature but worth the investment,
    100% agree with this
    I'm A Titan #thruNthru

1. Coote
    6. Elgey
    7. Taylor
    9. Segeyaro

And of the re-signings:

I really think we should keep Mosely, peteru and Burr. We really should be looking at segeyaro, espescially if friendy decides its time to hang up the boots. While i like Don, too many rocks and not enough diamonds. Coote seems like the logical choice for a fullback but I would be trying to lure Valentine Holmes or Munster off their contracts, both are queenslanders and money talks, we gotta start using it. I still wanna see GL and BK get a run in the squad this year, hopefully neither of them get forced out for Zillman like Cullen did with Bird.

I believe Cameron Cullen should be our long term hooker anybody who knows him will tell you he is a keeper. At 22 he should be replacing Mortimer on the bench this year and utilised to learn his craft.

Coote is going to be a Zillman outside of that premiership winning side.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

No problems with Cullen stepping-up but haven't seen enough of him to comment, however, my Mackay connections speak really highly of him.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Coote is going to be a Zillman outside of that premiership winning side.
    I can see why you would believe that but he was pretty hot at the Panthers until they flicked him for Moylan. For me the great unknown is Elgey and Taylor ... although both are underdone I think that we can look forward to some quality 'smarts' coming out of those two in the future, so I believe a Coote-style fb would complement them. Holmes and Munster would do it for me too but both seem a fair stretch (as is Coote for that matter). In all probability we will end up with one of ours at the back and I don't mind that too much as long as it's not Timbaaa.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

1. Coote
    6. Elgey
    7. Taylor
    9. Segeyaro

And of the re-signings:

Pretty much agree with all of that but would be happy with Rein. I have nothing but the highest respect for Nathan Friend but he is looking to me as this year should be his last. Plenty of good stuff there but I think he is fading fast. Like you say I would want him around the club and the Titans should always have a role for a bloke like him.
    The only bloke I have no worries losing is Burr, I shuddered when he was named the other day and when he lost the ball in traffic it just further convinced me there are too many errors in him and he just doesn't seem to be getting any better.
    As for TS's suggestion about Jayden Hodges, I would like to see him leave Manly but not come here.

If someone mentioned Jayden Hodges as a possible candidate they mustn't have seen him play, I'd give Mortimer a five year contract first. It'd be like signing Mateo for the halves or anywhere for that matter.

If we get Rein then sweet as. If we sign Friend for one more year then I'd chase either a Rory Kostjasyn or even better Kodi nikorama.
    Ash and LG halfs
    Fullback, well the amount of up and coming players and old players we have far outweigh the amount of spots so If Meady keeps bulking up then great, if not chase Corey Norman some how.

I don't think Don will be re-signed and if we can dream Zillman dedicates his life to horse whispering. So I'd be happy to re-sign Pulu, Davis and Mead (if the price is right).

What do you all think of this spine its just a idea cuz we have 3 starting halfs
    1 Taylor
    6 Roberts
    7 Elgey
    9 Rein
    Taylor has speed has a kicking game seem to handle tackle can spot a gap and can set up a try
    but it would be only for next season cuz Titans need to decide on Elgey Taylor or Elgey Roberts
    unless Robert like to become a utility off the bench we are going to have to lose 1 of them

I read somewhere before taylor played fullback in juniors. id keep him in the halves, i've only viewed roberts as a placeholder for elgey anyway this year, doubt his contract will be renewed, back to newcastle for him to team with hodkinson.