Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Same team as last week, but bird has been switched back to lock and Cullen is in. Zillman named on an extended bench but Henry says there will be a back line shuffle.

Titans
    1 David Mead
    2 Anthony Don
    3 Josh Hoffman
    4 John Olive
    5 Nene Macdonald
    6 Cameron Cullen
    7 Ashley Taylor
    8 David Shillington
    9 Nathan Friend (c)
    10 Ryan James
    11 Zeb Taia
    12 Chris McQueen
    13 Greg Bird

Interchange
    14 Luke Douglas
    15 Leivaha Pulu
    16 Agnatius Paasi
    17 Daniel Mortimer
    18 Eddy Pettybourne
    19 Will Zillman

neil spoke about outside backs having a reshuffle so..........

So come Sunday, Mead pushed to Wing and Hoffman 'n Zillman will continue with the Fullback/Centre shuffle.

If that's the case, our for/against record will blow out for the first time this season.

If Zillman comes in the I hope it's at left centre with Hoffman at left wing. Olive and Don on the right. Wasn't great to switch Olive to the left last week. I reckon it was response to how bad our left side had been previously, but that didn't fix it.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Henry: We'll find a place for Zillman

Providing there are no ill effects from his first competitive game of the season last Sunday Titans co-captain William Zillman will line up against the Sharks on Sunday; coach Neil Henry just isn't sure exactly where.

Zillman was named in jersey No.19 by Henry on Tuesday but after a solid hit-out for Tweed Heads last Sunday will take his place in the backline providing the calf injury that kept him sidelined for the opening month of the season doesn't flare up again this week.

Initially cryptic in his answer as to whether Zillman would come into the 17, Henry said his 156 games of NRL experience would ensure that the 29-year-old co-captain of the club would play if fully fit.

"If he says I'm right to go and on the back of last weekend's game we'll find a spot for him somewhere in the team," Henry said.

"It's really a difficult one, there's competition on for spots there. Nene Macdonald has been reasonably strong and 'Hoffy' (Josh Hoffman) has been improved in the last couple of games and Nathan Davis might be able to play Q Cup this week.

"There's a bit of depth in the outside backs and a fight for positions which is healthy but we'll see how 'Zilly' pulls up."

Given David Mead's performances in the fullback position in the first five games of the season it would appear unlikely that Zillman would unseat him in what would be his first NRL game since May 16 last year and subsequent back surgery.

The more likely scenario would be for Zillman to return in the centres at the expense of either Nene Macdonald or John Olive, a decision that won't be made by Henry until later in the week.

Regardless of where he plays, Henry said Zillman's inclusion will not be as a result of his standing within the club but more what is best for the team.

"It's whether or not he's earned the right to be there and I'll pick the team to win a game," Henry said.

"Players are fighting for positions irrespective. He's been out of the game a long time but there's certainly some faith in a guy that has played so much footy as well in that position.

"John Olive's more a left-side centre or wing and Zilly has obviously played most of his football at fullback and I thought he was quite sharp for Tweed in a well beaten team and 'Meady' has done nothing wrong."

The Titans have yet been unable to field the same 17 in consecutive weeks this season and while Henry concedes it does have an impact on their cohesion, praised the work of the forwards for keeping them in each of the five games they have played.

"We have been a bit disjointed but I've been happy with our forward pack," said Henry, who has a 6-3 winning record against Shane Flanagan coached teams.

"The guys that have been getting out there have been getting the job done for most of the game but it's a big challenge down there against Fifita and Lewis and Gallen.

"They've won their last two games and last start at home a very strong, gritty performance against Melbourne. It's a tough place to go down to."

Immortal

Good story about Cullen making his debut

http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2016/04/0...ake_nrl_d.html

the interesting quote is this "It's whether or not he's earned the right to be there and I'll pick the team to win a game," Henry said.

thats one of the first times anyone at the club has ever publicly expressed the slightest hint Zill might not make a side.

on the back of playing for tweed...could the tide be turning?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Good story about Cullen making his debut

http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2016/04/0...ake_nrl_d.html
    If cullen does well he has the potential to be a neat little bench option if no one else came knocking.

tough little guy, would rip in at hooker for 20 -25 mins, and comfortably cover halves and even jump into back row like cronk was for QLD if needed.

Just watched the Tweed highlights and Zillman was his usual turnstile self ... watch Murgha's second try and his general poor positional play. I have to say if he is selected this week then our selection criteria is woeful. Also his try was very ordinary.

Gee, what does it take to deal with such an inept character? Quoting his 154 NRL game 'experience', the vast majority of which were in Titan's teams getting flogged, is ridiculous.

Surely we are better to carry an emerging player with an eye to the future rather than this Muppet.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Good find GCTF, two comments: (1) great to see him taking notice of Greg Bird's secret weapon ... his tongue, and (2) Cullen does something amazing with his hands on the ball. I looked it up and found that its called 'passing'. I am writing a letter to Neil Henry to inform of this development in the hope that he might ask his backline to consider using this wonder-skill when they play next.

On point (2), I watched the Broncos game again last night and it was apparent that our forwards pass more often between each other than our backs do. I sat in front of an old coach at the game last Friday who nearly shouted himself mute demanding that the backs pass the ball ... couldn't agree more, however, he didn't seem to realise that the chief offender was none other than ... you guessed it ... our favourite ball hog ... the one and only, Hoffman/J. In his defence, he has passed the ball three times this season (a) once to the second row (of the grandstand), (b) once for a try, and (3) once for an intercept
    Last edited by Titanic; 06-04-16 at 05:41 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Cullen looks like a very good player and should be given a chance in the bench hooker role when Roberts comes back. Looking forward to see how he goes this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    So come Sunday, Mead pushed to Wing and Hoffman 'n Zillman will continue with the Fullback/Centre shuffle.

If that's the case, our for/against record will blow out for the first time this season.
    I have started to accept that Zilly will play but I'm hoping that it is at centre with Olive to wing and Nene out. Nene needs to hit the line and not prop/jink as he gets there as he is big enough to occasionally break through. I just think Olive has more potential so I would persist with him.

Rep Player

Gold Coast Titans: William Zillman to return at fullback against Cronulla Sharks
    April 8, 2016 12:00am
    Emma GreenwoodGold Coast Bulletin

William Zillman is likely to make his Titans comeback at fullback against the Sharks on Sunday. Picture: Glenn Hampson.
    WILLIAM Zillman is set to wear the No.1 in his first NRL game in almost a year after training comfortably at fullback yesterday.

Zillman was named on an extended Titans bench earlier this week when coach Neil Henry revealed his team for Sunday’s clash at Cronulla.

But the Gold Coast coach hinted there could be changes if Zillman pulled up well from his first match of the regular season after missing the opening five NRL rounds with a calf strain.

David Mead was named at fullback after filling in for Zillman to start the season and Henry admitted he faced some tough choices ahead of Sunday’s clash.

“I thought (Zillman) was quite sharp for Tweed in a well-beaten team and Meady (David Mead) has done nothing wrong there either,” Henry said. “It’s really a difficult one, there’s competition on for spots there.

“There’s a little bit of depth in the outside backs and a fight for competition, which is healthy. We’ll see how Zilly pulls up.”

Even though Zillman was co-captain it wouldn’t impact on the *decision.

“It’s more whether or not he’s earnt the right to be there and I pick the team to win a game,” Henry said.

“He’s been out of the game a long time but there’s certainly some faith in a guy that’s played so much footy as well in that position. Normally if he says he’s right to go we’ll find a spot for him somewhere.”

In an indicator of a likely switch, Zillman ran at fullback during yesterday’s training with Mead on the left wing.

John Olive has played in all five games so far after injuries to Nene Macdonald and Nathan Davis. But he looks set to cop the axe in a backline reshuffle.

Agnatius Paasi’s barnstorming start to the season looks set to be rewarded with a contract extension and possible upgrade.

Titans chief operating officer Brian Canavan has held informal talks with Paasi’s manager on the cult forward extending his deal with the Titans until the end of 2018.

The former Warrior joined the Titans on a train-and-trial deal last season and was one of the club’s most consistent in a tough 2015.

He signed a two-year deal in the off-season but given his form, the Titans are already looking to lock him up.

“It’s not one of those ones where there’s a (looming) deadline. Conceptually, the manager and the club are both on the same page.”

__

OH FFS!!!!!!! Sorry Henry for every bit of good you do your selection at times is an absolute ****ing head scratcher. After the heart and stopping power Mead showed last week for you to do this means I will never be 100% behind you. Bring on the sharks belting.

i read elsewhere that Zill might play centre. that is still a pain, but way better than him playing FB

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i read elsewhere that Zill might play centre. that is still a pain, but way better than him playing FB
    Yeah I can live with him playing centre. At least it somewhat stiffens the line defence up a little. I just cant see them moving Mead after his game against the broncos. He prevented multiple tries that night with beautiful 1 on 1 tackles.