Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Henry won't do anything of the sort ... he'll go straight to coach-speak. I was pretty happy with with the game but thought that our outside backs have no penetration at all.

MacDonald outpaced the defence which surprised me but Hoffman, Don, Mead and Zillman all for different reasons never troubled the line at all. I am also happy to be classified as a ridiculous Zillman hater. He offered nothing that any younger emerging player could offer and to state that he did nothing wrong is just as ridiculous. Like Toads, I don't blame him for being selected, that's his luck but it doesn't make him worthy. Anybody feel McQueen is playing on the wrong side?

Paasi is a forward. His job is to make meters and tackle. He is not some sort of attacking genius and is going pretty well for mine, as is Pulu. The forward back played well today against a very good pack. I wouldn't swap one player of our pack based on commitment.

Our half's went pretty well too and what can we expect from two newbies? My hat off to them. We all know our outside backs are mediocre and that was the ball game. Pity about their first try, it could have been so different.
    Last edited by Titanic; 10-04-16 at 03:17 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Zillmsn knocks on and gets crucified by many but Ash Taylor knocks on and nothing.
    one is a 5 game player learning NRL without a senior partner, the other is the captain of an NRL team will years of sub standard games under his belt

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    My point is that he cops it more than others got making the same errors. He has more line breaks in one half of footy than Mead in 5 games.
    what came of them though? passes to imaginary players? Mead still contributed more in any of those 5 games with no line breaks than Zillman did with his line breaks.

It's hard because the expectations of the team weren't all that high and they are punching so far above their weight that we get so close that the losses hurt just that little bit more.

As a team I'm very proud and happy with their performance. Our forwards seem to be getting through way too much work and we are fading toward the end, we hold our ten rather than stealing metres just to conserve energy. But they still give more than expected.

So should we be expecting more from our outside backs? I don't see anyone stepping up in our centre wings like we have our forwards. Nene has the speed which we saw today however last year we saw him using that whilst hitting the line. Don too would last year tried to take the attacking high ball rather than batting it back (sometimes not even attacking it). Hoffy and Mead seemed very quiet and I think Zillman gave ammo for the haters and the lovers today. Anyway, my point is that I think we have seen a lift from the forwards but not as much from our outside backs, so is that due to ability or other?

Bird was brilliant. Best on the field.
    Our backs? Sheesh. Pass the ball out to the centre like 10 year olds. No idea how to create anything. That's down to coaching. Henry is ordinary without a future immortal running the team around the paddock for him.

The Sharks 16 stood out. Didn't get his name as I was watching without sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    Our backs? Sheesh. Pass the ball out to the centre like 10 year olds. No idea how to create anything. That's down to coaching. Henry is ordinary without a future immortal running the team around the paddock for him.

Matt Prior.

does anyone think Cullen would be a GREAT little hooker / utility coming off the bench next year once LG is back.

his tenacity and skill set gives us more than Mosely or Morts for sure doesnt it? and then he is right in the system to cover injuries in game, and keeps him in the squad for when Ash or LG are out for a few weeks.

He would fill a role that has been a trouble as long as I can remember.

Ash was pretty good again.

Bird was on a mission and really good today.

Paasi has been down on his crazy form of pre season, but he still putting out large metres.

James wasnt the guy ive been enamoured with the last few weeks, and we could have used his recent form today. and his penalty after the field goal was RJ class of 2014.

Ennis was a pest, and him lifting friend should be charged with misconduct or something. One of the few guys i would consider not shaking hands with as he just goes past what is reasonable.

Nene was better in centre than wing.. but our backs all seemed out of whack with the shuffle

Zillman was better than i thought he might be, but still doing the same old things except he made a couple of line breaks which he muffed anyways. At least Mead knows what he can and cant do and goes to ground. Zillman wouldn't even be the best fullback for Tweed. I just don't know what to do. Im gonna try and not think about it. We have enough elsewhere that we can be competitive, but once we solve that FB problem then i'll know Henry and Co are serious about moving into top 4 top 8.

also - refs first 20 minutes was laughable.

EDIT: hugely proud of the fight and effort again today. we have heart out the yang.. so much id trade some of it for improved skill and execution. but it should come once the young guys develop

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post

i think thats harsh considering what Henry is working with. He has an honest bunch of footballers. id be surprised if any coach in the NRL could get any more out of them than Henry is. they are a hugely improved team and our halves had played 5 games combined before today. neither of them were considered our starting halves before the pre season.

If people cant see this a three year build or so then i cant help you.
    Last edited by DavidBouveng; 10-04-16 at 03:40 PM.

Fullback for me is the one position that I think we need to target.
    I agree with our outside backs. Something is not right there and it needs addressing. They just don't seem to have the same hunger that the forwards do.
    Our slow starts are a worry. It doesn't seem to matter what players start we don't click into gear until about the 20 min mark.
    Cullen looks like a good one. Would love to see him get more time this year. He could be a very good bench utility.

Cullen may get his chance because we had Friend off with another hit to the head (too many to count this season) and I'm pretty sure Mortimer looked out cold so that should be two weeks if we are serious about player welfare.

yeah FB is the main one to give me nightmares.
    i think we are spoilt for half's now ( or will be once they mature a bit more )
    Our pack is sorted, just need ot find the best balance of starting and bench forwards and i believe Cullen is the answer to the bench utility.
    there is enough happening in our backs with young guys and couple older guys that i think there is 2 wingers and 2 centres there.. just need to find the best balance. I think the Cowboys took a lot of last year to find their best 3/4 line. Feldt came in late, and Justin O'neil was a mess and no sure thing for a whiles also.

So we need a FB and a better solution to the starting hooker role. Friend is very short term, and if he keeps getting hit in the head he might not even last the year.

I really do like Cullen, I would put him in utility for this year to groom him to take over the number 9 next year.

2017 spine
    1. Coote
    6. Taylor
    7. Elgey
    9. Cullen
    17. T Roberts

Actually a bit dissapointed by todays game, I agree with all the comments with the outside backs but I also didn't see our forwards trying to punch holes everyone seemed to be dancing instead of running hard.

The coaching staff is just not as good as others in the comp at attack, a Henry side has always been this way
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

i thought he was quite good in early days at raiders? and he set up a lot of the cows structures. think it will take some time

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    So we need a FB and a better solution to the starting hooker role. Friend is very short term, and if he keeps getting hit in the head he might not even last the year.
    Problem is that the Titans won't be looking for a FB cause they have someone with two years to run on his contract. The problem is what is he going to cost us in terms of re-signing developmental players in the U20's in the meanwhile. I think there is a thread regarding the options for hooker and the rumours are Mitch Rein.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    The coaching staff is just not as good as others in the comp at attack, a Henry side has always been this way
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i thought he was quite good in early days at raiders? and he set up a lot of the cows structures. think it will take some time
    Nope, won't get any better than now.

Also Newies' "no try" was just the same as Sharkies first "try" ... what a farce
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Yep

Nope, won't get any better than now.

Also Newies' "no try" was just the same as Sharkies first "try" ... what a farce
    No it actually makes sense. the ref called a try for sharks against us and it was a try. they called a no try in the newcastle game and it was a no try. guess they are just listening to the refs now, why send it up in the first place.