Default Stadiums and WiFi, what's the big deal?

Ok I may just be a dinosaur or something but why is it such a big thing for stadiums to have WiFi? I go to the game to watch the action on the field, not play on a device.

Wi-fi now available at Metricon Stadium for Gold Coast Suns matches
    March 15, 2016 8:18pm
    ANDREW HAMILTONThe Courier-Mail

Metricon Stadium has stolen a hi-tech jump on Queensland rivals. Picture: Adam Head
    THE Gold Coast Suns have trumped their big-city cousins with the introduction of high-density wi-fi at Metricon Stadium, leaving Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba looking outdated.

Queensland’s newest football team can now offer its fans a service denied to the Broncos, Reds, Roar, Lions, Titans and Cowboys as well as crowds at Bulls, Heat and Test cricket matches.

Stadiums Queensland is facing increasing pressure from sports fans and major tenants.

High density wi-fi is now common at major venues around the country but Metricon Stadium is the only venue in Queensland to offer it.

The project cost about $2.5 million at Carrara, but would be closer to $4 million for Suncorp and the Gabba.

The wi-fi rollout was installed by Chinese tech giants Huawei, who have implemented similar projects at the homes of European soccer giants Borussia Dortmund (Germany), Ajax Amsterdam (Holland) and Rangers in Glasgow.

The Suns have also achieved an Australian first by developing a free smart phone Metricon Stadium app.

Fans can order food and drinks, book tickets or seat upgrades and purchase merchandise from their phone.

At first the app will provide basic footy information, but will be expanded to include comprehensive stats and behind the scenes videos from inside the dressing rooms and addresses from coaches and senior players.

“This puts us, in our view, right to the top of the offerings in the Australian sporting landscape,’’ Suns CEO Andrew Travis said.

The Broncos contribute about $135 million annually to the Queensland economy and argue greater Government investment in Suncorp Stadium would be returned to the state.

They are Queensland’s undisputed sporting kings, yet Broncos CEO Paul White said his club could not afford to lag behind their competitors when it came to game day experience.

“Wi-fi is not a luxury now, it is a must have,’’ he said.

“There is an urgency around consideration of this, if you invest in stadium you make sure you can compete with the services available in other states.’’

Lions CEO Greg Swann said the lack of wi-fi was the No. 1 complaint the club received from annual surveys.

“The modern stadiums are making it easier for people to come to the game and we don’t have the capacity to do that,’’ he said.

“There has been discussions about it, it is the perennial story in the state at the moment, there isn’t any money.’’

The Queensland Government will spend about $480 million on sporting facilities over the next three years — $320 million will go to Commonwealth Games venues while an election promise of $100 million was made for a new stadium for the Cowboys.

Stadiums Queensland say a fibre-optic backbone was installed at the Gabba last year and would be part of a $15 million capital works program at Suncorp in the next 12 months.

That infrastructure allows the venue hirers to fund their own wi-fi service.

“Stadiums Queensland has a rolling program of capital works and we continue to upgrade the in-venue IT networks across the suite of venues as budget permits,’’ a spokesman said.

“We’ve also been working with telco providers across the venues for some time to increase network capacity. These upgrades have improved connectivity during events, and provide the foundation for hirers to bump in additional capabilities including wi-fi for their fans as they see fit.’’

I thought it was obvious Ozzy........The Suns down by 60 at 3/4 time so you jump on your smart phone and play Bejewelled. Not really rocket science.

The whole point of the story above was that they had got a jump on the league stadiums by doing this. I still don't see what the issue is. I guess that no one can offer a decent reason why stadiums need WiFi, it just seems to be something that a marketing guru has decided is needed in stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    The whole point of the story above was that they had got a jump on the league stadiums by doing this. I still don't see what the issue is.
    Dunno whether the AFL got the jump on us, ozy. I remember a couple of years back the promotion at Robina Stadium about free wi-fi hotspots around the Stadium at certain locations. IIRC, there were 3 or 4 of them at the time, though I'm not sure if they expanded on it or removed it since.

I guess that no one can offer a decent reason why stadiums need WiFi, it just seems to be something that a marketing guru has decided is needed in stadiums.
    All I could come up with is for the farcebook fanatics can continue to log their entire existence online even while they're at the footy. Naturally those with a decent phone plan shouldn't require it, so I guess it's there for the not so fortunate.

I'm like yourself and most others though, I'm there to watch the game 'n not be rootin' around on a phone.
    Last edited by Toads; 17-03-16 at 08:16 AM.

Just so the 3g/4g networks aren't being overloaded by tens of thousands of people at the same time.

I remember a few times going to a game at Lang Park and trying to organise a meetup after the game but none of us could reach each other. With stadium wifi access we could've connected via imessage, messenger, etc.

Some people can't keep their hands off their phones.

But wifi can help with getting additional info about the game. And I use sportsear myself, is there a sportsear app now?

You can also watch the game on Telstra, which I was doing in round 1.

I guess we need to aim for the mainstream and make them feel as comfortable as possible to come.

Encourage their footy related social media use.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER