Default Maybe we got lucky after all......

Colman’s Call: Whispers that Manly “let the wrong half go” grow louder as DCE and Sea Eagles struggle

Mike Colman COMMENT
    The Courier-Mail

IT’S way too early after just two rounds to put the red line through any team — well, OK, maybe Newcastle — but seriously, how bad is Manly?

On Monday morning there was no shortage of sympathy for Nathan Brown given the Knights woeful performance against Souths, but 24 hours later I reckon Trent Barrett would have gladly swapped places with him.

The difference being, of course, that nobody expected anything of Newcastle. Brownie was on a hiding to nothing the day he signed on, but the Sea Eagles?

For some reason people – and not just those people who wander around Warringah Mall in maroon and white beanies – seemed to think Manly were serious contenders before the season started.

So serious, in fact, that UBET had them as $8 equal second favourite alongside the Cowboys, behind only the Broncos at $4.25.

The Tigers, who walloped them on Monday night, were at $101, and the Bulldogs, who dusted them 28-6 in round one, were at $12.

The form that the Sea Eagles have shown in their first two games (or should that read lack of form?) has seen the market adjust accordingly.

They are now at $17 with an anchor, but the question still remains: why did anyone think they were any good in the first place?

Forget the glowing pre-season media reports of how they had been magically put back together like a Meccano set.

They’ve got an untried coach, two no-name hookers, a winger at five-eighth, their two genuine stars Jamie Lyon and Brett Stewart are on the wrong side of 30 and the whispers that they “let the wrong half go” are becoming a roar.

Even on one leg Kieren Foran was solid and assured in the Eels upset win over the premiers on Saturday.

Without Foran beside him at Brookvale Oval on Monday night, Daly Cherry-Evans looked like he was lost in the mirror maze at the old Manly Fun Pier.

And he wasn’t having fun.

Neither were the Manly supporters who watched on aghast as he squandered their team’s last hope of snatching a win from the fire by pulling a page from the Under-8s playbook and passing to a prop on the sixth tackle.

Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans and Manly's Dylan Walker look on after a Tigers try. Picture: Brett Costello
    You could almost hear the sighs of relief from the Titans boardroom.

If Cherry-Evans hadn’t succumbed to pressure from Manly and had a change of heart, the Titans would have thrown every cent they had and then some to get him to the Coast.

Right now it looks like they might have dodged a bullet.

There’s little doubt Manly will improve as the season progresses — they invariably do — but early signs are that their fans, and particularly their coach, are in for some tough times.

Sacking a club legend to bring in an untried coach who never wore the club colours was always going to be risky.

Banging the PR drum to say what a brilliant move it had been, even before the season kicked off, was only going to raise the stakes.

And now Trent Barrett and co are chasing their tails after only two games.

At least Nathan Brown will be happy. It takes some of the pressure off him.

They'll come back some this year, but I expect them to be patchy throughout the season. 2016 won't go down as one of their best.

But yeah, possibly dodged a bullet 'n finally dislodged an old stump and sent it to them in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    You could almost hear the sighs of relief from the Titans boardroom
    Funniest thing I've read on the subject and could only have been improved if they had thrown in a reference to Ole Poopy Draws too
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

OK I'll bite.

Mike Colman based in London and a North's Bears tragic. Yeah he'd know what's going on at Manly for sure.

I hate cherry Evans so this is great.... Hoping we have Hurrell by Rnd 15 and he stomps all over him.....

Rep Player

Manly and DCE deserve every bad thing coming their way. Enjoy your 10 million dollar halfback. Ben Hunt will be the next QLD halfback long before dickface cherry evans. Maybe Myles can play halfback???

Couldn't have said it better myself 5 Year Contract. Giraffe neck is the only player I wish nothing but bad luck and crap for after what he did to us, even though it has worked out to be the best thing for us in the end. Oh I might just add one more to that list, Jimmy the Judas. I hope he turns out to be a dud for the Donkeys also. Karma for both I say.

Five year deal X two.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    They'll come back some this year, but I expect them to be patchy throughout the season. 2016 won't go down as one of their best.

But yeah, possibly dodged a bullet 'n finally dislodged an old stump and sent it to them in the process.
    GOLD!!

DCE has been playing like Andrew Johns in his prime compared the rubbish that ol' Droopy Drawers has been serving up.

Changing the subject from DCE for a minute, I think we might also have dodged a bullet missing Copley. Injury prone it seems and can add a pec injury tonight which they reckon will see him out four months. Poor bugger.

Wait wait wait ...

Could the tide be finally turning?!

Well as long as we are dodging bullets hopefully we get another look at Hurrell playing this week before the alleged visa issue is sorted. Apparently he hasn't exactly been tearing it up in the lower grades since being dropped.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Changing the subject from DCE for a minute, I think we might also have dodged a bullet missing Copley. Injury prone it seems and can add a pec injury tonight which they reckon will see him out four months. Poor bugger.
    Yeah but remember when he didnt want to come to the titans as he didnt want to go to a 'LOSING' team so he went to the roosters. How's that working out for you Copley??!!!!!