Default Bears vs Tweed Derby

Burleigh Bears to take on local rivals Tweed Heads Seagulls in Queensland Cup

COMPETITION points, pride, bragging rights – it’s all on the line at Pizzey Park tomorrow in the Queensland Cup rugby league local derby.

The Burleigh Bears and Tweed Heads Seagulls both enter the match having notched promising Round 1 wins last weekend.

The Bears have named an unchanged line-up from their 44-22 victory over Wynnum Manly but coach Jim Lenihan is wary of their opponents from across the border.

Just as they did in their opening match against Easts, Tweed will rely on the speed, mobility and fitness of their smaller forward pack against a Burleigh side that has several big men.

“I think probably with the eight interchanges now, especially in the heat, it’s almost an advantage to have a smaller, mobile pack,” Lenihan said.

On top of the rivalry between the sides – with Burleigh keen to avenge their 50-4 demolition last year on the Seagulls’ turf – Lenihan says there is even more at stake.

“As much as there is the local rivalry, there’s just as much rivalry in the Titans ranks to sort of get yourself up in the pecking order,” he said.

One such battle will be between home hooker Matt Srama and Tweed’s Kierran Moseley, who is on the comeback trail from a pre-season ankle injury.

Another pressing his case for a promotion to the NRL is Burleigh playmaker Cameron Cullen.

The 22-year-old has found form and is pushing for a top-grade debut.

“I just want to be consistently performing really well at Queensland Cup so if an opportunity arises I’m putting my hand up,” he said.

Cullen earned a second-tier contract with the Gold Coast on the back of his performances in the pre-season trials and is enjoying his combination with Burleigh co-captain and former Seagulls halfback Jamal Fogarty.

“He is really good with *organising and takes the pressure off me and adds to my game,” Cullen said of *Fogarty.

Although they will play opposite sides of the field, Cullen’s rival five-eighth is a familiar face: the in-form Sam Irwin.

“I played Australian Schoolboys with Sam Irwin,” Cullen said. “I went to school with him and I know him *really well.”

The Seagulls have one forced change to last week’s triumphant side, with Cory Blair’s one-week suspension for striking opening the door for back-rower Jackson Clarke to make his debut.

Clarke is one of five Tweed players who have turned out for Burleigh in the past. Others are his older brother Dane Clarke, Irwin and co-captains Sam Meskell and Sam Saville.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Burleigh Bears v Tweed Heads Seagulls
    Pizzey Park on Sunday, March 13 - 2pm
    Referee: Clayton Sharpe
    Head-to-Head: Tweed 13 Burleigh 11 Drawn 1
    Twitter: #intrustsupercup #BEARSvTHS

The always intensely-contested coastal derby has come early in the season – and with both teams coming off Round 1 win – neither side will be willing to give an inch this Sunday. While Tweed Heads overcame an 18-10 half-time deficit to overrun the Easts Tigers, Burleigh blew the Wynnum Manly Seagulls off the park in their second half. Scores were locked at 10-10 at the break, but the Bears, led by an impressive showing by new halves Jamal Fogarty and Cameron Cullen – went on an attacking raid against last year’s finalists. Dave Hala has been named on the bench in the only change to the Bears side. At Piggabeen last Sunday, the home fans celebrated when team stalwart James Wood touched down for his 100th Cup try, making him the seventh player to achieve this feat and the third to do it for a single club (Redcliffe’s Liam Georgetown and club-mate Nathanael Barnes the others). The Gulls supporters also cheered the return of Shannon Walker who made his mark on the game with an impressive try of his own. This week, the Seagulls have named an unchanged side – but will have to fill in the spot left by the one-match suspension of Cory Blair for striking.

http://www.qrl.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Burleigh 36-26

I watched this game today after the Cc & MM games & a few points I have from the game today are

Mortimer is light years ahead of both Srama & Mosely at the moment for the bench spot

Hala if he stays on the park all year will push for another NRL shot

Luke Page has had a huge attitude change & I wouldn't say his NRL dream is over nearly the best on field

Cullen looks like he may turn into a quality player but he's not anywhere NRL level yet.

If the club is still looking for a damaging centre like Hurrell he may be right under our noses in big Sammi Samilema he was involved in an early favorite for try of the year when he chipped & chased regathering & passing to Foggarty to score , he's very strong in both attack & Defence but can play, dropped a couple of balls late in the game but is someone that should be looked at.

If not this year then somewhere in the near future Hayden Schwass will be signed with an NRL club , Man of the Match today & played 80 minutes
    Last edited by TITAN PETE; 13-03-16 at 06:17 PM.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Thanks pete for the update appreciate the info

Forgot one Minot detail , Shannon Walker had a great game at fullback for Tweed but only in attack not Defence
    #itaintweaktospeak

Did Olive play for Tweed Pete?.