Luke Douglas praises the improved mental strength of Gold Coast Titans
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

Gold Coast Titans prop Luke Douglas. Picture: Adam Head
LUKE Douglas praised the improved mental strength of the Titans as the Gold Coast head to AAMI Park tomorrow to play Melbourne.

Douglas is one of just four players – with Greg Bird, David Mead and Anthony Don – left from the Titans team that secured the club’s only win in Melbourne two years ago.

Douglas, who missed the club’s opening round win over Newcastle and may yet be left out of the team tomorrow, said the Titans would need to replicate that “intent” tomorrow if they’re any chance to topple the star-studded Storm.

“I remember it was a great feeling because there’s not many times you can say you beat Melbourne, especially down there,’’ he said.

“I forget how we played, our game plan or anything, but you’ve just got to go with intent, no matter, defence or attack, and try to get that roll-on because as soon as they slow it down it just plays into their hands.

“They’re a quality outfit across the park and they’re pretty clinical.’’

The Titans lost 36-14 in their only meeting with the Storm last year in a match that turned at half-time.

“The first half we definitely had the upper hand.

“I went into half-time thinking we were all over them,’’ Douglas said.

“But they get a bit of a rev-up off the coach and click into gear.

“They had a massive roll-on, they totally nullified us in the second half and it was *really hard to get a quick play-the-ball, and they totally slowed us down, and then their strike players and all their combinations.’’

The Titans will be underdogs in many of the contests this year but Douglas said they were working to change their mindset.

“A few guys at the start of the pre-season were probably not as strong mentally as they are now,’’ he said.

“I think we’ve got a pretty balanced squad who are all striving for the same thing and that’s to have success.

“We’ve just got to stay on that path.’’

Eddy Pettybourne faces a fitness test on his corked leg today which could decide if Douglas is recalled or left out of the team to play the Storm.

He may be the defending Paul Broughton medallist as Titans’ player of the year but Douglas would understand coach Neil Henry’s decision to leave him out.

“What I’ve tried to do my whole career is not give anyone else a chance to take my spot,’’ he said.

“It just shows that we’re going to be a decent forward pack this season if we can continue that.’’