Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Titans don't pay overs. We pay fair market price. Nor will they be caught up in a bidding war. Seems to have worked out well for us so far.
    Nor will they be rushed or jump at shadows.
    I have full confidence in the Titans recruitment and retention staff to get this deal done.

I want LG to remain at the Titans as much as the next person. But in all honesty, I think it's a tad silly to be throwing that sort of money at him at this stage of his career considering his only played 16 or so games at the top tier. There's no denying his ability, it's just that if you look at the stats (injury-wise) it's not that fantastic.

I dunno, it all smacks to me as desperation if any of the reports are true. Hopefully it's just the usual beat up BS from the media. *shrugs*

On a similar vein, player prices are soaring with the advent of new broadcasting agreement so what was value is now valueless.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I want LG to remain at the Titans as much as the next person. But in all honesty, I think it's a tad silly to be throwing that sort of money at him at this stage of his career considering his only played 16 or so games at the top tier. There's no denying his ability, it's just that if you look at the stats (injury-wise) it's not that fantastic.

I dunno, it all smacks to me as desperation if any of the reports are true. Hopefully it's just the usual beat up BS from the media. *shrugs*
    If the Dragons think he is worth $500k then we must get very close to that offer or he is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post

Know exactly where you are coming from. I was thinking earlier what if Ash T and Tyrone have this unbelievable year - we may then be thinking who is Kane Elgey (but I doubt it) and why pay big money for three halves. Yes he has only played a few games and has already has had a couple of injuries.
    But on the other hand, class half backs are as rare as hens teeth and if other clubs have been and are again now throwing good coin at him, I think that is testament to his quality. In today's market good halves can almost write their own price but I do know that I would hate to see a classy Gold Coast junior running around against us, especially if he reaches the top bracket of players.

Hopefully we see some other teams rookie halfs excel this year which will take the focus off him. I don't think $500k a year is out of the realms of what he is worth to this club and if that's the price then shove a contract under his nose before all the other off contract halfs are snapped up and his worth becomes exponential.

It's a shame contracts can't be performance based when they are talking about signing him till 2019.

NRL360 saying the Titans have submitted a $900k over two years ($450k a year) offer to Elgey and the feeling is he is likely to accept it. Fingers crossed.

I feel as though 450K per season is fair

Interesting comment from Laurie Daley on this offer. His opinion was that 2 yrs was a risky deal. If the clubs spends 2 yrs developing him and he starts to flourish but the club still isn't doing as well as they should then he might just accept a better deal elsewhere.
    He thought that we should have offered him a 4 yr deal on that money and be prepared to ride out any highs and lows with his form as he continues to develop.
    Must say I agree, 2 yrs will have us back negotiating with him again at the end of next year.

I like the deal. He's played 16 games in 1st grade and now is having a year off injured. Hedge your bets and it gives wriggle room for his management to negotiate a better deal (longer contract) and everyone goes away happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I like the deal. He's played 16 games in 1st grade and now is having a year off injured. Hedge your bets and it gives wriggle room for his management to negotiate a better deal (longer contract) and everyone goes away happy.
    Agree 100%. Gives us a chance to see how he comes back after a major injury and also not pay too much, bearing in mind Ash T and Roberts could strike up a long term combo.
    That said, it seems to me that $450k is on the light side and I would hate to lose him. If they can get him for that, well and good, but I wonder if it might be a bit light.

Junior

LG resigned!
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

A very good day for the club. I am confident Elgey and Taylor can make an outstanding halves partnership moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    LG resigned!
    *re-signed thankfully.

This is the best news ever for our team Elgey is future captain this club and will start to get more fans to the grounds.