Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Titans v Knights: David Mead has chance to push case for Gold Coast No. 1 jersey
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

A FITTER David Mead will get another opportunity to mount his case for the Gold Coast’s No. 1 jersey against Newcastle.

Mead will move to the back in place of injured co-captain William Zillman (calf), paving the way for South Sydney recruit John Olive to make his Titans debut.

Olive only joined the club on Monday but will be rushed on to the wing for the Cbus Super Stadium clash against a Knights side with five NRL debutants.

Mead has made no secret of his desire to be a career fullback but the extremely fit Zillman is coach Neil Henry’s first-choice custodian.

Running out games has been the NSW Country representative’s battle but co-captain Nathan Friend said he had made big improvements.

“He keeps telling me the (winning) percentage when he plays fullback is quite high,” Friend said.

“He’s got a great running game. It’s always good when they kick downtown and he’s carrying it back for us.

“He’s a strong ballrunner, takes the right options and is a good talker. I’m looking forward to him at the back. He works on his game tirelessly and nutrition is a big part for him.”

Zillman hasn’t played an NRL game since Round 10 last year and is expected to be available to face Melbourne next weekend.

Henry said Mead was relishing the prospect of moving into the role and had worked on his fitness.

“He likes to get back there and bring the ball back,” Henry said.

John Olive will make his debut for the Titans against the Knights. Picture: Adam Head
    “He’s really worked hard on his aerobic conditioning.

“It’s a very demanding position. There’s a lot of unseen running that goes on.

“The best fullbacks are clocking up 10km easily in a game. He’s an explosive runner but he’s got to be able to stay on the ball.”

A calf problem for winger Leva Li meant Olive was pushed straight into the side.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

CAPTAIN'S CALL: Nathan Friend
    <script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=I1NGZsMTE6BkZsjpDf6RfmULDnRPJy6X&pbid =fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605"></script>

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

actually i forgot about Meads winning % when he plays at the back.

its like 70% or something. and he won 3 MOM's in about 6 weeks in his only real stint there.

im now putting the house on us

It never seems to matter though. Whenever Zillman is fit they always slot him straight in at #1. So annoying.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 05-03-16 at 08:48 PM.

sounds like a positive article diehard..... hopefully he can hold the fb position at least everyone now knows he wants to play there

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    It never seems to matter though. Whenever Zillman is fit they always slot him straight in at #1. So annoying.
    If I treated the rest of the playing group with such disrespect when I was coaching I would have been run out of town. On a brighter note, Friend's interview was refreshingly entertaining ... he'll make a huge difference running the ruck.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Tomorrow our season begins with probably 99% of the RL community expecting us to receive our 2nd Wooden Spoon at seasons end so I see the plus side in that we still have a team to support & with little to no expectations 'm hoping to prove the doubters wrong with a win & what ever follows in the weeks ahead..

Excited about kickoff & watching Friendy back where he belongs leading our side out on the park..

#itsback
    #itaintweaktospeak

yeah i like his thinly veiled contempt for previous staff. and his wifes lol.

Today is the day boys. Very excited to see how we go and especially the new boys. Also Mead at fullback!

Titans by 8-12.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Today is the day boys. Very excited to see how we go and especially the new boys. Also Mead at fullback!

Titans by 8-12.
    Nah......I have an all up with Titans 13+

Fired up, ready to go.

I'm like a kids again waiting for the footy. It was always a bit part of my life.

I've tipped us. We can do it with some devil may care football.

I've watched 5 games this weekend of Rugby League, I can't get enough.

Predictions for first tries lads?

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Fired up, ready to go.

I'm like a kids again waiting for the footy. It was always a bit part of my life.

I've tipped us. We can do it with some devil may care football.

I've watched 5 games this weekend of Rugby League, I can't get enough.
    yeah me too mate. enjoyed watching so many players in new teams too.

thursday night footy is great, and its like xmas early to get footy on thursday, but friday is time to pay the piper, and i feel unsatisfied with only one game now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TitanSam View Post
    Predictions for first tries lads?
    Zeb

Titans vs Knights game day info - CLICK HERE

Game Times:

3:05pm - Gates open
    3:10pm - NYC Under 20's match
    5.30pm - Titans v Knights 5:30pm

I'm still working but I'll get there at about 4pm it seems.