Default Bird says Titans will be surprise packets in 2016

Titans will be a surprise packet in 2016, says Greg Bird
    An hour ago
    TRAVIS MEYN The Courier-Mail

GREG Bird has rubbished predictions the Titans are destined for the wooden spoon, insisting the Gold Coast will surprise many in 2016.

The Titans have been installed as the shortest priced ($2.40) wooden spoon favourites in NRL history on the back of James Roberts leaving the club and halfback Kane Elgey suffering a season-ending knee injury.

The doomed decision to sign Daly Cherry-Evans, who later backflipped to stay at Manly, put a serious dent in their recruitment strategy and the club is still chasing players for this season.

With little talent on the market, the Titans have begun scouring the Super League for possible recruits while South Sydney denied a request to release 2017 signing John Olive from the final year of his Rabbitohs contract.

It’s been a tough five years for the Titans, who last played finals football in 2010 when they went within one game of the grand final.

The expansion club collected its first wooden spoon in 2011 and Bird said it was premature to say another piece of timberware was headed their way.

“That’s what the bookies think and it’s before anyone’s played a game,” Bird said.

“If we turn around and start the season well, things might change.

“It doesn’t particularly bother me. I’m confident in my own ability and the potential of a lot of the guys in our team.

“There’s been a few setbacks with the Jimmy Roberts saga and losing Kane Elgey but tough times create tough people. I’m sure this group of blokes can surprise a few people.

“I’m looking at starting our season strongly, gaining a bit of Gold Coast support and we’ll go from there.”

Coach Neil Henry has assembled a strong forward pack headed by the likes of Ryan James, David Shillington, Luke Douglas and Bird.

The backline is where the Titans are lacking depth with Henry to either gamble on blooding young halfback Ashley Taylor alongside Tyrone Roberts in the opening rounds or opt for Daniel Mortimer in the No. 7.

Taylor has had a limited pre-season due to multiple hand operations and Bird said it would come down to trials to decide the halves pairing.

“It’s hard to say (if Taylor’s ready). He’s training well at the moment coming off the injury,” he said.

“He’s looking all right. I’m hoping him and Tyrone trial really well together.

“We’ll re-evaluate the situation and see who’s the best for the job at the start of the year.”

The Titans have had a handful of young guns impress during the pre-season.

Teenage winger Brian Kelly is a chance of playing in the Auckland Nines and Bird said a lack of established first graders meant there was opportunities for new talent to come through.

“No one thought Jimmy Roberts would go to the heights he did last year and there’s other players in the squad that will get the same opportunity this year,” he said.

“Hopefully if they do we can retain them.

“When you’re down on quality depth it’s going to give young blokes opportunities. That’s the position the club’s in this year.”

Bird also ruled himself out of playing five-eighth following Elgey’s injury.

“I get thrown up for that every year,” he said.

“I definitely think there’s better options than me in the six position.”
    #iwillneverwalkaway

FOURTH PARAGRAPH. FOURTH PARAGRAPH. CONFIRMED LADS. Titans might be checking this forum out

Quote Originally Posted by TitanSam View Post
    FOURTH PARAGRAPH. FOURTH PARAGRAPH. CONFIRMED LADS. Titans might be checking this forum out
    haha
    u love olive dont ya
    i wish they would read the zilly posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manzo View Post
    haha
    u love olive dont ya
    i wish they would read the zilly posts
    Olive is probably close to being my favourite player I'm so happy it's confirmed, he's a gun

I smell a hint of Carty in the first quarter of the article. Hmm..

Everyone is predicting us to have the spoon. So we will surprise many when when we finish well above that.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by TitanSam View Post
    Are you suggesting Titans come here for inspiration

They are onto any suggested signings well before this board gets a sniff.

I like Bird as a competitor but that's where it stops
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]