Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    James MaloneyVerified account
    ‏@jim_jim86 James Maloney Retweeted telegraph_sport
    Wow massive loss for roosters and massive gain for Titans James Maloney added,
    Embedded image permalink
    telegraph_sport @telegraph_sport
    POACHED! @GCTitans appoint Roosters CEO Brian Canavan as Chief Operating Officer. Details: http://bit.ly/1nCeo1J

That's a pretty good endorsement. Sounds like things are on the up and up for the behind the scenes. Once this is sorted it will flow to on field.
    that's extremely promising, finally something positive.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i think he is the cherry on off field recruitment cake

we got pretty awesome recruitment guy in Hamilton, and also well credentialled strength guy Ford from storm.
    Agree 100% DB. Titans have added some very good people in the Football department.

I believe that along with Canavan and the additional football staff this allows the players to play footy and not worry about other stuff.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

You can really tell that Brian is a great signing by reading the comments from Roosters fans. They really like him and will miss him. They think we got ourselves a fantastic signing.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Article from the Courier Mail this morning.

NRL 2016: Brian Canavan adamant Gold Coast Titans will become a successful club
    January 23, 2016 11:00pm
    CHRIS GARRY
    The Courier-Mail

"HE IS the Titans’ best signing since Scott Prince, and Gold Coast’s new football boss Brian Canavan puts his mission bluntly: “We need to regain the brand’s credibility”.

“I would like to think that while Dale Copley was attracted to the Roosters’ brand, the next Dale Copley will be attracted to the Titans’ brand,” Canavan told The Sunday Mail.

In a lengthy interview, Canavan was adamant the Titans would defy sceptics to become a successful club in the short term.

Canavan announced on Friday he was leaving his chief operating officer role at the Roosters for the same role at the Titans.

His title might still be COO, but the work required is more difficult.

Canavan does not speak of five-year plans, and while he says the club is in a rebuilding phase, the structure will be built fast.

He knows all about quick renovations. He began work at the Roosters late in 2012 after they finished 13th that season.

They won the premiership the very next year.

Canavan leaves the Roosters, his second stint at the club, after three years and three minor premierships.

Brian Canavan knows all about quick renovations.
    He said restoring the Titans’ credibility would be difficult, but far from the impossibility most believed.

Mainly because the Titans have a population base Sydney clubs would kill for.

Canavan has gone from a club with 760 juniors to a club with almost 7000 on its doorstep.

“The area has between 6000-7000 juniors — that’s the size of Parramatta’s juniors and not far off Penrith,” he said.

“The wider population of the Gold Coast is 600,000, while the Roosters have 140,000.

“That gives me a lot of hope. I want to help Graham Annesley build a bigger and better brand.

“The restoration is under way. We have a very experienced coach in Neil Henry.

“Where I am living in Sydney right now, there are six clubs and they would give their right arm to have a 600,000 population base.

“The Titans will set about attracting as many interested fans of those 600,000 in the shortest possible time.”

Brian Canavan is adamant the Titans will defy sceptics to become a successful club in the short term.
    Canavan said he was determined to make the Titans a development club with a major emphasis on academy programs producing standout juniors who become standout Titans.

The Titans have turned over 16 players from last year.

Canavan said the development focus would allow stability in the roster which would foster a greater team culture.

He also said the NRL’s salary cap would help bring success to the Gold Coast quicker than most believed.

“It happens very quickly. It only takes a couple of years when you get the right players on your development pathway and you deliver the right program,” Canavan said.

“Our game is excellent at producing young athletes in an incredibly tough game.

“We can get very good players at the age of 18, 19, 20.

“Other codes, such as AFL, they have to wait longer.

“The Roosters base was very constricted. We had 760 juniors at Sydney, so we had to link with the Central Coast a year ago and they are already producing Australian Schoolboys from that program.

“The Titans have turned over a number of players and there are plusses and minuses with that.

“But it certainly energises the list when you turn over players, and I have seen that many times over the years and it is happening at the Roosters right now because of the salary cap.

“The Roosters lost Michael Jennings and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, and that stung.”

Canavan revealed he would be setting the Titans’ key performance indicators to ensure their improvement.

Once told he was not needed at Brisbane, Copley was never seriously interested in the Titans because of the perception they were not finals material. Canavan said that perception had to change.

“There is a strategic plan at the Titans and I haven’t seen it all yet but the main thrust of it is continuous improvement,” he said.

“I am not sure if this next part is in there, but I will make sure it is, and that’s key performance indicators for continuous improvement, percentage increases in a range of specific areas so we can measure how good our programs are.

“We must have incremental improvement in ladder placing, and then there are the specifics such as physical performances, points for and against, player turnover — because you want to reduce that so you have really good culture development with players.

“If you have very good programs and good people, even though your position on the ladder might not be that high, players will go there.

“Players will see there is hope and want to contribute to the improvement of the club.”"

I like what I am hearing from Canavan.

Sounds like he's a very smart man that knows what he's doing. Can't wait to see the results.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

So happy I've already got my 2016 membership.

The Titans future is looking pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...

So glad he's not talking about "5 year plans". Sick of hearing all that.

Set backs should be dealt with in the shortest possible time frame, not factored into long term recovery.

You need a football brain to construct football solutions and you need a development brain to develop youth pathways ... that's why so many of the great coaches come from the public school teaching ranks. The great minds of modern rugby league development, the Dennis Wards, the Roy Masters et al were educators ... finally the Titans have nabbed one and now let the fun begin.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

His knowledge of football operations is immense but his greatest asset I would suggest will be his ability to build a culture off the field that enables the players and coaches on the field to excel...you can see this from what those associated with the roosters have said about Canavan. This quality is not easily found but worth gold when created/implemented!