Default Titans signing Jeff Lynch opens up about battle with depression to help others

Titans signing Jeff Lynch opens up about battle with depression to help others
    January 15, 2016 12:00am
    Emma GreenwoodGold Coast Bulletin

Jeff Lynch, who has signed a one-year deal with the Titans, has spoken about his battle with depression in a bid to help others. Picture: Tim Marsden
    BY HIS own admission, Jeff Lynch is not yet a big name in rugby league.

But he hopes by opening up about his battle with depression, he can have a big impact.

Lynch, who arrived at the Gold Coast on a train-and-trial deal late last year, has impressed so much he has won a one-year deal with the Titans.

But the it could have been a different — and far more tragic — tale for the former Canberra Raider had he not sought help for depression and the dark thoughts he admits invaded his mind only a couple of years ago.

Consecutive season-ending injuries, his parents’ ugly divorce and a relationship breakdown of his own had the happy-go-lucky larrikin struggling mentally but too proud to reach out.

Recognising he needed help, he eventually talked to a counsellor and encouraged others to do the same to see the “day of light’’.

“I’m not a big name in the game at all but from just my story, I would love to see more people come out seeking help instead of going the other way and not seeing the day of light because there’s too many deaths and they are preventable,’’ Lynch said.

“It’s just about taking that first step and building up the courage to go and talk to someone.’’

“Once you do that it’s a lot easier going down that path, so I really do encourage anyone that thinks that they might have a little bit of depression to go and talk to someone.’’

Now 22, former Raiders Toyota Cup captain Lynch underwent a shoulder reconstruction in 2013 that kept him sidelined for eight months and injured his knee in his first game back in 2014, forcing him out for the following season.

Out of the team environment while working on his rehab and with significant family issues going on, Lynch became isolated and admits there were times he thought about taking his life.

But with three younger siblings who were also struggling to deal with their parents’ breakup, he was determined to be there for them.

“You definitely have thoughts. But I knew within myself that I definitely couldn’t go through with any of that because I’ve got a family here, I’m the eldest brother,’’ Lynch said.

“So it wasn’t to that extreme but it was very isolating.

“I would rock up to training, I’d feel numb, I didn’t want to be there.

“I was training in the first-grade environment with the Canberra Raiders at the time and I didn’t want anything to do with it.

“I’d go there, do my rehab, go home and I’m there by myself, don’t talk to anyone, I wouldn’t do anything with any of the boys.

“You definitely do have a lot of thoughts but they’re just thoughts at the end of the day.’’

Like many rugby league players, Lynch struggled with showing emotion, something his friend and front row mentor David Shillington understands.

“It’s a hard thing because on the training paddock and the field you need to be the toughest guys out there really and you almost need a split personality,’’ said fellow Raider-turned-Titan Shillington.

“You don’t want to show a softer side ever. You’ve got to maintain a certain image and you’re not sure who you can trust as well, because everyone’s showing that tough image.

“But young men have huge issues that they’re not getting enough help with, so the more we talk about it, the less stigma is attached to it and the more people we can start helping and young lives we can save.

“It takes tough men to talk about it and it’s nice to see (Lynch doing that).’’

Lynch is more larrikin than tough guy but he realised he needed to drop the facade to gain help and also to become the best footballer he could be.

“I’m one of those people that put feelings to the side and don’t show any emotion. I’m the happy-go-lucky fella that people look at to try and get a laugh when they’re having a bad day.

“You try and put it in the back of your head when you do feel down and you’re a little bit too proud to admit that you’re having a bad day — and that’s how (you get) that massive build-up.

“What I’ve learnt from talking to people and getting counselling is just how to deal with little mental setbacks and just talking regularly, so that when you do have a bad day you know how to deal with it and it’s not a big disaster.

“If you can be happy and get all of the things outside of football as good as you can then you’re going to go on to the football field refreshed, you’re going to be focused straight on your job and not worrying about all the other little things in your life.

“That’s what I’ve found coming up here. I think my training is the best it’s ever been and I think it’s why I’ve been rewarded with that one-year deal, so I’m very excited for what this year has on offer.’’

For more information or support for depression call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636.

- - - Updated - - -

#itaintweaktospeak
    #Livin
    #itaintweaktospeak

Brave words in a macho environment … the more I read about Shillington the more I like … I hope Lynch gets a good crack at it.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Brave words in a macho environment … the more I read about Shillington the more I like … I hope Lynch gets a good crack at it.
    I agree with that sentiment. I think they are putting together a quality team in particular their culture.

Depression is a lonely place. It would seem that more effort has to be put into players on rehab. Because they don't share the on field experiences with their team mates there is less to relate to, that's why older mentors are important. Young guys aren't always sensitive to what's going on but older team mates with families may realise what's going on. I have really benefitted in the past when I have been alone, and friends have invited me over for dinner with their families, or just said "lets go fishing".

Immortal

Depression is an absolute mongrel of a thing

I love this article and I hope that Jeff can help spread his message. Depression in such a masculine sport needs to be a massive thing in rugby league and I am glad it is getting so much more attention than before. Great kid Lynch, really hopes he gives first grade a shake up and gets a new deal. I think he's a really solid player and from all accounts he seems a really nice bloke.