Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RLW’S TOP 17: TITANS

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/rlws-t...t-titans-2016/

A number of Titans recruits are expected to take their place in the club’s top 17 line-up in 2016.

Former Knight Tyrone Roberts takes the place of Aiden Sezer in the halves, while Nathan Friend starts at hooker.

Neil Henry will also be forced to throw rookie recruit Ash Taylor into the deep end after Kane Elgey was ruled out for the year with a serious knee injury.

David Shillington starts at prop in place of Nate Myles who has joined Manly.

Chris McQueen slots into the back row, with Zeb Taia earning a spot on the bench.

RLW’s Top 17 for the Gold Coast Titans:

1. Josh Hoffman
    2. David Mead
    3. William Zillman
    4. Nene Macdonald
    5. Anthony Don
    6. Tyrone Roberts
    7. Ashley Taylor
    8. David Shillington
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Luke Douglas
    11. Ryan James
    12. Chris McQueen
    13. Greg Bird

INTERCHANGE:
    14. Eddy Pettybourne
    15. Zeb Taia
    16. Agnatius Paasi
    17. Kierran Moseley

Titans gains and losses:

Ins: David Shillington (Raiders), Nathan Friend (Warriors), Zeb Taia (Catalan Dragons), Ashley Taylor (Broncos), Tyrone Roberts (Knights), Leivaha Pulu (Wyong Roos), Jeff Lynch (Raiders), Chris McQueen (Rabbitohs)

Outs: Nate Myles (Sea Eagles), Aidan Sezer (Raiders), Dave Taylor (Catalan Dragons), Shaun Hudson (Cowboys), Ben Ridge (retirement), Matthew White (Storm), Brad Tighe (retired), Kalifa Faifai Loa (Dragons), Beau Falloon (Leeds Rhinos), Caleb Binge (Wynnum Manly), Chad Redman (Burleigh), Christian Hazard (Redcliffe), Jamal Fogarty (released), Kevin Gordon (retired), Jai Ingram (released), Davin Crampton (Redcliffe), James Roberts (Broncos)

- - - Updated - - -

such a boring backline. Our pack is alright if James has a good season. But we just lack that flair/excitement. God I miss Preston.

boring backline but if we can get dale copley--- it actually looks average--- not exiting but solid (ish)
    hope zillman hits form, nene should be good if he has worked on defense-- and dale will make them work that little bit harder to start in the side

Rep Player

You can see from that roster we are about 2 gun backs and 2 gun forwards away from a really competitive team. What could of been

Pretty accurate 17. I'm not sure what to do with Moseley like another hooker on the bench instead of a utility?.

Our forward pack doesn't look too shabby or it could just be the backs look bad.

Our forward pack is quite solid and a definite upgrade on last year. Agree our backs look a bit shabby but I think Nene will be great this year along with the regular guys who play solid (Mead and Don). Both of our wingers know how to score. My only worry is Zilly.

Halves could be anything. Tyrone on his day is a match winner and Ash Taylor is very creative.

Some people are saying we have the worst squad in rugby league history which in my eyes is ridiculous. Hope the boys prove everyone wrong this year.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Halves could be which is what is exciting. But not alot of attacking weapons 1-5 to help them out. Dont get me wrong, they are all solid but just lack that edge. Most our trys will come from forwards hitting holes off Taylor I reckon

Nene is a strike weapon. Averaged 130m most games he played last year and made quite a few line breaks/tackle breaks. If he can improve his defence he will be amazing. Expecting a big year from Nene.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Nene is a strike weapon. Averaged 130m most games he played last year and made quite a few line breaks/tackle breaks. If he can improve his defence he will be amazing. Expecting a big year from Nene.
    I've got wraps on Don too. Never understood why he was dropped to Q Cup last year unfortunately only to be injured.

The Don is not quite on top of his game, it has been seen a few times where he has lapsed defensivly. Which is why he shouldn't don the #1 jersey any time soon. He's fine out wide, but not much chop in the middle of the paddock.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm also a fan of the Don, looking forward again this year to seeing him open up his stride like he does with a line break. He really looks the business at full flight.
    Last edited by Toads; 06-01-16 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I've got wraps on Don too. Never understood why he was dropped to Q Cup last year unfortunately only to be injured.
    Agree Junction. I also rate the Don and he can definitely find the line. Still remember that try he scored vs Wests where he beat about 8 guys to score (nearly dropped it though haha). Like Toads said though, his defence needs a bit of work like the rest of our team.

I don't see Don as a fullback but he is a great winger. We should also be bombing it towards his wing more as his height is such an advantage.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    We should also be bombing it towards his wing more as his height is such an advantage.
    Especially if Nene plays the same side as him. Two tall guys will cause havoc for the defense.

If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all .................
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

An article regarding James playing most of his time in the middle this year...with actual quotes....from an actual player.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-1227701227993

Ryan James is set to shift to the front row to help drive the Gold Coast Titans forward
    CONNOR O’BRIEN GOLD COAST BULLETIN
    JANUARY 08, 2016 12:00AM

THE Gold Coast Titans are stacking their front row stocks, with Ryan James set to play many more minutes in the middle this season.

Last year, James started 20 of his 21 games on the edge but the arrivals of Chris McQueen and Zeb Taia have provided the side with an abundance of options wider out.

NSW Origin veteran Greg Bird has been touted as a potential *replacement in the halves for injured Kane Elgey, but is likely to stay in the back row, leaving James to help drive the engine room.

However, James said he would still get his chances to terrorise *opposition defences out on the edge. “I’ll be playing a bit more middle this year and hopefully get to the edge a bit as the game goes on,” James said.

“I played up front for most of my career, so it’s nothing different.”

The result will see the Titans boast a more than respectable front row rotation of James, former Queensland representative David Shillington, the consistent Luke Douglas and perhaps even Manly up-and-comer Josh Starling.

With 47 NRL games under his belt, 25-year-old Starling is said to be in talks to head north to the Gold Coast. Titans coach Neil Henry had said earlier this week rising props, as well as a quality centre to replace James Roberts, were high on their recruitment radar.

“We’ve got some experience up front already, with Shillo and Luke Douglas. I think we’d be looking for a young prop coming through the ranks,” Henry said.

James last year captained the side on a handful of occasions but threw his weight behind former skipper Bird as the best candidate in 2016.

“I think Birdy is a great leader. He is probably the frontrunner because he’s got that respect from the boys,” he said.

“He can take it to that next level.”

James said he didn’t consider himself a leading candidate and also steered away from his chances of being selected for the NSW Origin side.

On top of finals football, his personal goal is to play the entire *season injury free.

“I look up to people like Luke Douglas, who just does relentless rehab and he’s always ready for every week and obviously played 215 games straight."
    #iwillneverwalkaway

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/team-b...-titans-20125/
    check this out

Premiership Odds: (via betting.club): $151.00

Big Ins: Tyrone Roberts, Chris McQueen, Nathan Friend

Big Outs: James Roberts, Nate Myles, Aidan Sezer

The Titans start the shortest price wooden spoon “favourites” in recent memory after young half Kane Elgey suffered an injury that will see him miss the entire 2016 season.

The club’s recruitment was thrown into disarray after Daly Cherry-Evans backed out of a deal to become the club’s marquee signing, and they never truly recovered.

Unfortunately the Titans lost Aidan Sezer, Nate Myles and James Roberts, robbing them of two of their best three attacking weapons as well as an international forward.

There is still plenty of talent on the Gold Coast but it will all come down to how they can react to being told they’re going to finish last by pretty much every fan in the competition.

Either they believe it and fold ala the Sharks in 2014, or they show everybody how wrong they are, ala the Dragons in 2015.

Key Player: Tyrone Roberts

Roberts become the key player in the Titans line-up following the injury to Elgey. He will likely play at halfback with youngster Ash Taylor partnering him in the number six.

He is going to have to pretty much guide his side around the park until Taylor finds his feet in the top grade, and his kicking game is going to have to be on point from the first set of the season.

Although he didn’t have the greatest 2015, Roberts is a more than capable half with the ability to break the line or put someone through and into space.

His confidence would have been dented last season having jumped between NSW Cup and first grade, but his place in this Titans line-up is assured and the confidence stemming from that may see him back to his very best.

Young Gun: Ashley Taylor

Anyone who has seen Taylor play for the Broncos NYC team will know that this is one talented kid with a bright future.

He debuted in the top grade in 2015 and even though that game only lasted a short time, he has had a taste of the pressure that is NRL first grade football.

I hope that fans and critics allow him the time he needs to find his feet as it’s not fair to throw a 20 year-old kid in with unrealistic expectations.

I also hope that Taylor is given the nod from round one and isn’t forced to play second fiddle to a backrower turn playmaker such as Greg Bird. Taylor is the way forward.

Best Signing: Chris McQueen

I’d argue that the previously mentioned Roberts is the Titans best signing but McQueen will play an important role in what is a pretty decent forward pack on the holiday strip.

McQueen did not enjoy a brilliant 2015 but I’d expect that to work in the Titans favour.

This is former QLD representative who has been told his services are no longer required. If that doesn’t fire McQueen up to return to the form that saw him earn a QLD Origin jumper, I don’t know what will.

McQueen will be looked upon to play big minutes, possibly 80, and will need to provide plenty of aggression in defence and make plenty of metres in attack. He certainly has the skill.

Weakness: Backline lacks firepower

The departure of James Roberts has robbed the Titans of their most potent attacking weapon.

Unfortunately there is a rather large gap between Roberts and the remaining Titans backline in terms of brilliance, flair and try scoring ability.

Nene McDonald is a talented youngster while Zillman, Mead, Don and Hoffman can all produce magic on their day, they hardly form the scariest of oppositions for the major sides.

With Elgey out it’s hard to see where points come from in this Titans line up. Hopefully they prove us wrong, but they’re going to need to work hard in defence.

Strength: Back Row

The Titans backrow of Chris McQueen, Ryan James and Greg Bird is a potential match winning one.

Two former Origin reps as well as a likely future Origin candidate, all three of who can change a game with a big hit or a big run.

If these three can control their aggression and limit the ill-discipline they really can match it with any back row in the competition.

Greg Bird may have to adopt a playmaking role but I really think his presence at lock is the best bet for the Titans. He should worry about making metres and tackles. Leave the flair to the genuine halves.

Strongest Line Up:

1. Josh Hoffman
    2. Anthony Don
    3. William Zillman
    4. Nene McDonald
    5. David Mead
    6. Ashley Taylor
    7. Tyrone Roberts
    8. David Shillington
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Luke Douglas
    11. Chris McQueen
    12. Ryan James
    13. Greg Bird

14. Kierran Moseley
    15. Eddie Pettybourne
    16. Zeb Taia
    17. Agnatius Paasi

Prediction: 16th

Last season I enjoyed watching the Titans play, but I fear that 2016 could be some pretty grim viewing at times.

There is enough talent there to win some games, and their forward pack won’t be bossed around too often.

While David Shillington, Roberts, Taylor, McQueen and Friend are all smart signings, they lack a genuine match winner.

Josh Hoffman needs to remind everyone of why he was once a New Zealand international while Roberts and Taylor need to gel quickly or else this could be a real disappointing season for those fans on the Gold Coast.

actually sounds pretty accurate-- amazingly the comments seem to think we will not get the spoon but be in the bottom 6