Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Neil Henry says Titans can make NRL finals in 2016

Gold Coast coach Neil Henry says Titans can make NRL finals in 2016
    EMMA GREENWOOD GOLD COAST BULLETIN
    JANUARY 01, 2016 12:00AM

TITANS coach Neil Henry is adamant his side will be a competitive force in the NRL this season, saying the top eight remains a realistic goal for the Gold Coast in 2016.

Despite an exodus of senior players in the off-season and losing top tryscorer James Roberts after the contract forgery scandal, Henry believes the Titans have the personnel necessary to contend for a *finals place.

And he has assured fans Chris McQueen will not be the final player added to the roster despite the pre-season kick-off drawing closer.

The Titans finished 14th last season, just one win clear of the wooden spoon and critics and bookmakers have them pencilled in as wooden spoon favourites this year.

While Henry is realistic about how difficult it will be, he believes the Titans can be a force if they can keep key players on the paddock.

“We’ve lost a lot of experience with Nate Myles and Aidan Sezer and Dave Taylor leaving the club but I feel we’ve got better depth across the board with our second-tier players too,’’ he said.

“We’re still in the marketplace too, but that’s where they (critics) put the club at the *moment. We value our squad more highly than that but we’re going to have to play some consistent footy, we’re going to have to have a better run with keeping our roster healthy.

“If we can get that under control and keep our main men on the field for most of the season, then we’ll be more than competitive.

“Every team wants to make the finals and I’m thinking if we play to our potential and have our run then we’ll be pushing up towards the eight and that’s what we need to do.’’

Henry believes the addition of experienced players such as David Shillington, Nathan Friend, Zeb Taia and Tyrone Roberts will help.

“Those guys bring in experience and leadership to the team along with our established players like Luke Douglas and Greg Bird and Ryan James,’’ he said.

And he has promised McQueen will not be the only late signing.

“With the departure of James Roberts, we’ll have a couple of vacancies around our outside backs and probably up front,’’ Henry said.

“There’s a bit of movement with the players and we’re active in the market and I think with the right sort of buys for the club we can really improve the depth and quality of our squad.

“It’s a bit of an unusual (time), I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it where there’s so many player movements that can still occur around the Christmas break.

“Things normally happen around October but we’re talking about clubs still moving players around and being able to buy players into the new year, less than four weeks from the start of trials and the Auckland Nines. So that’s unique.’’

Henry believes the Titans have started to earn back the respect of the community with moves to overhaul their board and governance. And he believes it’s time the players now backed that up on the field.

“You have to earn the right to be respected in the community and I feel that we’re starting to do that . What we need to do (now) ... we need to be competitive, we need to be winning our home games and be competitive on the road as well.’’

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little bit hopeful unless we can add to our roster but I honestly believe (no bias of course ) that we won't finish with the spoon IF we can keep our full side on the paddock. The last 4 or 5 years we have been full of injuries, with double figures of players out. Hopefully the new S&C squad can fix that.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Good to see Neil has the belief in the playing squad. The start of success.

Dont forget how easy our draw is. I think we could give a few of the top teams a run for their money. no pressure on our players so we need to introduce the taylor and elgey combo and develop them now while there is no pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrels View Post
    Dont forget how easy our draw is. I think we could give a few of the top teams a run for their money. no pressure on our players so we need to introduce the taylor and elgey combo and develop them now while there is no pressure.
    Good point Barrels. We have no pressure and we are the underdogs. Just need luck with injuries.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Good point Barrels. We have no pressure and we are the underdogs. Just need luck with injuries.
    If Elgey and taylor can play at least 90% of their games then i reckon our ladder position could surprise majority of the bookies. Elgey is pure class. Him and Taylor could easily be the next Queensland halves pairing if they impress and stay together. I wouldnt be surpirsed if Elgey wins the dally m in the next few years either.

An Elgey and Taylor combination is definitely an exciting prospect. Even Tyrone Roberts might go alright now that his contract issues are out of the way and he can focus on footy. Think we are in a great place for halves (and hookers of the rugby league kind). Just need a few backs and forwards.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Junior

Think we are in a great place for halves (and hookers of the rugby league kind).
    Heh, heh...

In all seriousness, I'm cautiously optimistic about next season. My takeaway from the 2015 Grand Final was that having brilliance in the 6s and 7s and cohesiveness and competence everywhere else is key. We've got the former, but my concern is the latter. I'm not interested in us buying a bunch of cybernetically-enhanced rep players; I just want cohesiveness and competence across the board.

So Henry hit the turps last night.

Honestly I don't know if it is my bias but I do not think we are as bad a side as some people are saying. We have a better forward pack this year (Douglas, Friend, Shillo, James, McQueen, Bird) compared to last year (Douglas, Falloon, Myles, James, Robinson, Bird). We have lost a lot through Sezer but who knows how good Ash Taylor can be and LG will hopefully get better with experience. Obviously we have lost a lot in Roberts as well (attacking wise, not defence) and our backline (Hoff, Don, Zilly, Nene, Mead) is looking shaky but one or two signings and that changes.

Not saying we will make the 8 but some guy on Reddit stated we have one of the worst sides in rugby league history which is just ridiculous.

My prediction is a finish between 11-13 IF WE FINALLY HAVE SOME LUCK WITH INJURIES.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Honestly I don't know if it is my bias but I do not think we are as bad a side as some people are saying. We have a better forward pack this year (Douglas, Friend, Shillo, James, McQueen, Bird) compared to last year (Douglas, Falloon, Myles, James, Robinson, Bird). We have lost a lot through Sezer but who knows how good Ash Taylor can be and LG will hopefully get better with experience. Obviously we have lost a lot in Roberts as well (attacking wise, not defence) and our backline (Hoff, Don, Zilly, Nene, Mead) is looking shaky but one or two signings and that changes.

Not saying we will make the 8 but some guy on Reddit stated we have one of the worst sides in rugby league history which is just ridiculous.

My prediction is a finish between 11-13 IF WE FINALLY HAVE SOME LUCK WITH INJURIES.
    Didn't you literally just switch to supporting the Broncos on twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock O'Brien View Post
    Didn't you literally just switch to supporting the Broncos on twitter?
    Hahaha no. I was playing with these Broncos fans who always try to make me change. I'm with Titans until death or until the ship sinks.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Henry couldn't say anything else but we are not a better team than at this time last year … at least the playing group had played together. There are so many intangibles with the squad right now and still "being in the market" means he isn't confident in the group either. This is not a prediction thread but for sure we are a 13-16 finish again but with some interesting blokes to watch. Not death-riding the team just being realistic.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

One major hope of mine as well for 2016 is that the new strength and conditioning squad will lessen the injuries. In the past 4 years there have been times in the middle-end of the season where we have up to 10 or more injuries. This in my opinion has led to us finishing as badly as we have. Hopefully we can keep a fairly similar side throughout the year so we can gel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Henry couldn't say anything else but we are not a better team than at this time last year … at least the playing group had played together. There are so many intangibles with the squad right now and still "being in the market" means he isn't confident in the group either. This is not a prediction thread but for sure we are a 13-16 finish again but with some interesting blokes to watch. Not death-riding the team just being realistic.
    My point kind of links into this in that we have almost a new team this year. Less injuries will help us gel quicker and let the players get to know each other more.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Barrels View Post
    If Elgey and taylor can play at least 90% of their games then i reckon our ladder position could surprise majority of the bookies. Elgey is pure class. Him and Taylor could easily be the next Queensland halves pairing if they impress and stay together. I wouldnt be surpirsed if Elgey wins the dally m in the next few years either.
    I would think that LG and Tyrone will be the main halves combo. If they play most games together we will surprise a few.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I don't disagree but a 13-16 finish will be completely unacceptable and cannot be put down as another development year. Personally I think we will finish a little higher, hopefully much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I would think that LG and Tyrone will be the main halves combo. If they play most games together we will surprise a few.
    Like I've said before, I think Tyrone will play better footy than last year and return to his pre 2015 form now that his contract is sorted and he can focus on footy. But I'm very interested to see how Ash Taylor goes when he gets a chance.