Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Auckland 9's

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    yeah we are splitting into two groups to play trials. otherwise you get 28 -30 blokes trying to get game time and it doesn't give anyone much time to show anything or work on stuff.
    Yep we are splitting the teams in 2 , Ryan Simpkins & the Burleigh Bears are off to NZ on Wednesday & the rest of the squad is going to Darwin

I think by seasons end Simpkins will be well versed with Burleighs style of play
    #itaintweaktospeak

Simpkin's could not make the first 25
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Yep we are splitting the teams in 2 , Ryan Simpkins & the Burleigh Bears are off to NZ on Wednesday & the rest of the squad is going to Darwin

I think by seasons end Simpkins will be well versed with Burleighs style of play
    Matt Robinson and David Hala will be with the NZ group too. Otherwise just 20s players, trialist and qcup players.

What channel is televising this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Matt Robinson and David Hala will be with the NZ group too. Otherwise just 20s players, trialist and qcup players.

What channel is televising this?
    Foxsports mate at 1pm (nsw time)

Im Happy to change my favourite player from James Roberts to Paasi. What a beast - He had a great weekend.

Backrow of McQueen, Paasi and Bird looks great.

mqueen possibly playing center

what did u guys honestly think of srama?

seemed strong in defense

Quote Originally Posted by Manzo View Post

seemed strong in defense
    I think he had as many negatives as he did positives -

Quote Originally Posted by Manzo View Post

seemed strong in defense
    I thought he justified the decision not to play him in the NRL unfortunately. I used to be a big fan.

I am still in NZ and have not had a chance to give my (average) opinion of the 9's but most have said what I thought anyways.. With my only exception being GL to centre in the 13 man format. If that occurs then we won't require a winger. He appears awesome and seems aggressively strong but I don't think he threw a genuine pass throughout the tournament. The only passes thrown were when he was being tackled into touch. In fairness to him he did play on the wing so there (mostly) was no outside man to throw to but he still could have looked inside. I think he seems (too) confident that he can get to the try line on is own. I am sure he will grow (and be trained) out of that. Not bagging him, still want him up there in time. I guess I will wait and see what Henry's plans are.

P.S. Passi's brother is an absolute scream. Although he moved around a lot (bloody Kiwis sit where they want...who needs a ticket!) I did have him sit next to me for a period on both days. He didn't need to as I could have heard him from the other side of the stadium!

Oh, Ash Taylor is not ready for NRL.. (Here it comes!)
    Last edited by shamus; 11-02-16 at 07:12 AM.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Really? I'm genuinely curious to hear why you say that.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I am still in NZ and have not had a chance to give my (average) opinion of the 9's but most have said what I thought anyways.. With my only exception being GL to centre in the 13 man format. If that occurs then we won't require a winger. He appears awesome and seems aggressively strong but I don't think he threw a genuine pass throughout the tournament. The only passes thrown were when he was being tackled into touch. In fairness to him he did play on the wing so there (mostly) was no outside man to throw to but he still could have looked inside. I think he seems (too) confident that he can get to the try line on is own. I am sure he will grow (and be trained) out of that. Not bagging him, still want him up there in time. I guess I will wait and see what Henry's plans are.

P.S. Passi's brother is an absolute scream. Although he moved around a lot (bloody Kiwis sit where they want...who needs a ticket!) I did have him sit next to me for a period on both days. He didn't need to as I could have heard him from the other side of the stadium!

Y thought he played alright. He has a bit of an issue in defence but that is because of his size. attacking wise i thought he was solid and he also put on 5 try assists second most in the nines.

did he really put on 5 tries? i found it hard to notice him to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrels View Post
    Y thought he played alright. He has a bit of an issue in defence but that is because of his size. attacking wise i thought he was solid and he also put on 5 try assists second most in the nines.
    I was happy with him and size isn't to much of a problem at 90kgs.
    Tyrone and Ash will complement each other well.

Have watched all the games 5 times so far trying to get a read on those issues too Shamus and I think you're not too far off the mark but I have some comments to add (surprise, surprise).

GL: I totally agree he never passed in running play and this together with comments from mdrew (and a couple of others) last season who pointed this weakness out makes his development a work in progress but centre is where he is destined to play, imho. He can pass and making him do it can be coached. His physique is made for centre and not wing or fullback in the long term.

AT: Don't agree that he's not ready but do agree that he wasn't sighted much but he was busy doing the 1%-ers which is why he didn't stand out in attack, again imho. His defensive lapses were more about timing than courage or technique and that will come with experience. Let's not forget that Elgey played speed bump a lot as he worked his way into the NRL pace.

IP's brother: get him over, we need those loudmouthed fanatics x 1,000 or more.

And about you: get back before you catch something
    Last edited by Titanic; 11-02-16 at 02:27 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.